The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Intel vs AMD - DawBench (Pro-Q/Pro-MB/Kramer) on Reaper & Ableton Control Surfaces
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Actually I think the 7700K is doing pretty well in that comparison. The 1800X is approx 30% more expensive (here, street price) and has half the amount of cores.

I do conclude based on *just looking at the stats* that I would pick the 1800X here for that 130€ extra, but I have not seen low latency figures which is where Ryzen has its weak spot.
I agree that Intel seem to do better at lower latencies. To me though it really does look like the 1700 is the better buy (compared to the 1800x). It's far cheaper, comes with a decent cooler, and people get it up to 3.8-3.9GHz, all cores, with the stock cooler.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi, interested in 1700 not X. I wonder if the actual motherboard/ram offer or microcodes updates etc...brought good things to us since ?

I've read here...
AMD RYZEN Audio Production / DPC - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

...that while getting the good ram and maybe underclocking ram you might have good enough workstation even for low latency work. To each its definition and needs, but I don't do orchestral stuff or film score and I'm on a budget.

Mines are fairly simple. Music made with virtual stuff. Recording instruments over it. Mixing live with a launch control XL, basically 8 audio tracks + effects sends/return.

I don't need to run multiple ultra cpu hungry plugins realtime, but i need to be able to play new instances of plugins over many bounced tracks for example -I try to commit to audio asap- and still be able to play them at say 128ms max of latency compensation @ 96khz.

Does anyone have experience ?

I guess i'll love the 8 cores for gopro video render too. Thanks for any help.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam an huel View Post
Hi, interested in 1700 not X. I wonder if the actual motherboard/ram offer or microcodes updates etc...brought good things to us since ?
Not sure, but I do know that microcode and OS updates have brought bad things for intel CPUs (meltdown and spectre patches).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam an huel View Post
Just update the motherboard BIOS/OS and you will be fine.
The AMD Ryzen/Threadripper is less vulnerable to CPU exploits, it
is not affected by TLBleed, Foreshadow and Meltdown.
Quote:
I've read here...
AMD RYZEN Audio Production / DPC - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
...that while getting the good ram and maybe underclocking ram you might have good enough workstation even for low latency work. To each its definition and needs, but I don't do orchestral stuff or film score and I'm on a budget.
Some guys underclock very fast RAM like G.Skill 3600MHz CAS15 to 3466MHz CAS14
to better fit Ryzen memory controller "sweet spot", others overclock slower RAM.
Check the Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.3.1 (overclocking DRAM on AM4)
3466MHz CAS14 is possible only with 2 single rank memory sticks 2x8, the 2x16
is double rank and probably will go up to 3200Mhz .
Quote:
Mines are fairly simple. Music made with virtual stuff. Recording instruments over it. Mixing live with a launch control XL, basically 8 audio tracks + effects sends/return.

I don't need to run multiple ultra cpu hungry plugins realtime, but i need to be able to play new instances of plugins over many bounced tracks for example -I try to commit to audio asap- and still be able to play them at say 128ms max of latency compensation @ 96khz.

Does anyone have experience ?
No, but in this test it looks OK to me
https://techreport.com/review/32642/...pu-reviewed/14

Quote:
I guess i'll love the 8 cores for gopro video render too. Thanks for any help.
Yes, you will.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for your detailed answer Pictus.
As ar fas bios etc I wondered for realtime audio work, like if after a year some possible troubles where ironed out.
Great help that ram calculator, I will take my time to understand what's really going on, and thinking a build for next year.
I have seen those benchmarks too on scanproaudio as far as I remember, hence thought Ryzen 7 1700 could be sufficient for me.

I may create the thread "you compose on ryzen 7 and are happy".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search