The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Tape - so how does it sound to you? Saturation Plugins
Old 23rd July 2018
  #91
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Unit Sound View Post
I agree. And I think there are a lot of hornet plugins people should try out, because there are a few gems (I particularly like their "spaces" reverb). Their developer is very innovative.

But along those same lines, people should really be checking out ReelBus:
ToneBoosters | Audio Plugins | ReelBus 4
Agreed - I have Softube Tape and Reelbus 4 and for me their use cases are different.
Old 23rd July 2018
  #92
Gear Guru
Hornet does make great plugs his sw34 eq is quite amazing! The tape sim is very good as is his deesser. I use his VU meter as quick gainstaging on everything.....
Old 22nd November 2018
  #93
Lives for gear
 
patrickdafunk's Avatar
 

nobody is bothered by Softube's ILOK and GOBBLER app you need to constantly run to use Tape or any other plugins from them? I can't seem to even install the trial version :(
Old 22nd November 2018
  #94
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
All the companies are having to solve the same problem that we're not allowed to speak about on this forum, in their own ways, this is the Softube way.

I haven't had any significant problems, except that the initial setup was a little wonky and circuitous. Once you get it set up you can forget about it.
Old 22nd November 2018
  #95
Lives for gear
You actually don't have to constantly run Gobbler to use their plugins. That said, I undersrand that some find it annoying that you have to go through Gobbler at all (not to mention the fact that finding a way to use the plugins without Gobbler is not straightforward).
I'm considering Tape at $30 but I'll have to see if I have time to demo it later. From the way people describe it, it might be a little too subtle for my taste.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #96
Gear Maniac
 
Synthient Sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
You actually don't have to constantly run Gobbler to use their plugins. That said, I undersrand that some find it annoying that you have to go through Gobbler at all (not to mention the fact that finding a way to use the plugins without Gobbler is not straightforward).
I'm considering Tape at $30 but I'll have to see if I have time to demo it later. From the way people describe it, it might be a little too subtle for my taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
nobody is bothered by Softube's ILOK and GOBBLER app you need to constantly run to use Tape or any other plugins from them? I can't seem to even install the trial version :(

I was considering picking Tape up...how does one actually run it? I haven't used Gobbler before and I generally try to avoid iLok.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #97
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthient Sound View Post
I was considering picking Tape up...how does one actually run it? I haven't used Gobbler before and I generally try to avoid iLok.
I haven't installed one of their plugins in awhile but my understanding is that you can find individual installers in your account and while you do need to have a Gobbler account to tether to your ilok account (nonsense I know), you don't need to install or run the Gobbler app.
I used to have the Gobbler app but I uninstalled and all of my Softube plugins still work just fine.

Actually, come to think of it, I demoed their acoustic feedback plugin recently and I didn't have to deal with Gobbler at all. Sorry, but I can't remember the details.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #98
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
I haven't installed one of their plugins in awhile but my understanding is that you can find individual installers in your account and while you do need to have a Gobbler account to tether to your ilok account (nonsense I know), you don't need to install or run the Gobbler app.
I used to have the Gobbler app but I uninstalled and all of my Softube plugins still work just fine.

Actually, come to think of it, I demoed their acoustic feedback plugin recently and I didn't have to deal with Gobbler at all. Sorry, but I can't remember the details.
I do not have any gobbler app installed, but a Gobbler account is needed.

After Softube/Gobbler desposit the license in you account, all you need to do is open iLok license manager and activate the license that is there.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #99
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
nobody is bothered by Softube's ILOK and GOBBLER app you need to constantly run to use Tape or any other plugins from them? I can't seem to even install the trial version :(
I don't use the Gobbler app and you don't need to. I haven't had any issues with iLok licenser the last 5 years. I refuse to use the iLok hardware, so if a developer requires that it's bye bye.

Last edited by Mikael B; 23rd November 2018 at 01:31 PM..
Old 23rd November 2018
  #100
Lives for gear
I'm so on the fence with this one. It is subtle yes, but it definitely does something nice (especially when stacked). I usually don't get things that are too subtle because I am a musician/producer, not a mixer. For me the subtlety is in the arrangement.
That's why I'm passing on the Black Rooster Pre73. It is just way too subtle for me. But with this I am torn.
Someone please talk me off the ledge or push me.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #101
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
I'm so on the fence with this one. It is subtle yes, but it definitely does something nice (especially when stacked). I usually don't get things that are too subtle because I am a musician/producer, not a mixer. For me the subtlety is in the arrangement.
That's why I'm passing on the Black Rooster Pre73. It is just way too subtle for me. But with this I am torn.
Someone please talk me off the ledge or push me.
No.

Do a balanced gain staged mix with Tape. Then turn off all instances and compare with some ABX tool. Make up your mind.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #102
Gear Nut
 

I already have ToneBoosters ReelBus 4 and am considering picking this up because of the sheer simplicity of it, not to mention the usual Softube quality. Last time I demo'd this thing I remember it being extremely subtle but maybe I was using it wrong. Is this worth getting if I'm only going to use it on the master bus?
Old 23rd November 2018
  #103
Gear Addict
 

It can go from subtle to heavily distorted. Watch the THD meter and raise the input while lowering the output to get more extreme distortion.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #104
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I've used it on mix bus a few times... I generally would reach for UAD Ampex ATR-102 however in that position.

All tape plugins are "subtle" but if you have good monitoring and trained ears it's simple enough to hear what's going on.

I used to think the same thing.
Old 24th November 2018
  #105
Lives for gear
From what I heard a well maintained professionally calibrated tape machine is going to be subtle and not going to sound distorted. If you want tape as an distortion fx you are better looking at something like XLN RC-20 or Klevgrand Daw cassette.
Old 6th December 2018
  #106
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
From what I heard a well maintained professionally calibrated tape machine is going to be subtle and not going to sound distorted. If you want tape as an distortion fx you are better looking at something like XLN RC-20 or Klevgrand Daw cassette.
Yes, but you can always hit a calibrated tape machine harder that normal, which is also something the plugins are attempting to model.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump