The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade MBP 2011 worth it? DAW Software
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Head

Upgrade MBP 2011 worth it?

Wondering if it would be worth it invest in upgrading my Macbook pro early 2011. Should I add RAM, new drive, etc? What will make the biggest difference...

Right now it takes Pro Tools like 2 minutes to open, and I have to be careful not to overwhelm it when using. Occasional crashes...

Would it be worth it to upgrade, or is my computer getting old anyway?

Thanks!!!
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Oldie, but Goldie, I have the same one, mine is mid 2011 I think, not sure.
Have a look at apple icon > system > sata
If you are lucky both chipsets (For dvd and hdd) support Sata 3 6Gbit which means you can switch your DVD for a Sata 3 SSD via Optibay.
If the DVD chipset is only 1,5 Gbit you can only use Sata 2 SSD instead of the DVD Drive, still a big push.

If both support Sata 3 you have a winner. Some from 2011 had that 6Gbit chipset at the DVD drive, others didn't, Apple silently switched that chipset, you could only find out by looking in the system menu.
I was actually so crazy to send mine back 3 times to get the right chipset, but I didn't regret it:
If you got the right one get 2 SSD Sata 3 and put them in RAID 0!! That's like 1GB reading speed per second or something.
Fast af, biggest speed bump you will ever experience, trust me. Way faster and snappier than many newer machines.
You have to constantly do backups because if one of those two SSDs fail the partition is effed.
You should get ram as well, you could max it to 16 (though not officially supported you should not have problems, never had) but 8 would be great as well.
Consider yourself lucky, with Retina they made it impossible to do the DVD optibay thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade MBP 2011 worth it?-bildschirmfoto-2017-06-07-um-03.03.44.png  
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBataa View Post
Oldie, but Goldie, I have the same one, mine is mid 2011 I think, not sure.
Have a look at apple icon > system > sata
If you are lucky both chipsets (For dvd and hdd) support Sata 3 6Gbit which means you can switch your DVD for a Sata 3 SSD via Optibay.
If the DVD chipset is only 1,5 Gbit you can only use Sata 2 SSD instead of the DVD Drive, still a big push.

If both support Sata 3 you have a winner. Some from 2011 had that 6Gbit chipset at the DVD drive, others didn't, Apple silently switched that chipset, you could only find out by looking in the system menu.
I was actually so crazy to send mine back 3 times to get the right chipset, but I didn't regret it:
If you got the right one get 2 SSD Sata 3 and put them in RAID 0!! That's like 1GB reading speed per second or something.
Fast af, biggest speed bump you will ever experience, trust me. Way faster and snappier than many newer machines.
You have to constantly do backups because if one of those two SSDs fail the partition is effed.
You should get ram as well, you could max it to 16 (though not officially supported you should not have problems, never had) but 8 would be great as well.
Consider yourself lucky, with Retina they made it impossible to do the DVD optibay thing.

Hmmm... Here's what mine says. Not sure how to know if this means it supports it or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade MBP 2011 worth it?-screen-shot-2017-06-06-11.03.45-pm.jpg   Upgrade MBP 2011 worth it?-screen-shot-2017-06-06-11.03.43-pm.jpg   Upgrade MBP 2011 worth it?-screen-shot-2017-06-06-11.03.41-pm.jpg   Upgrade MBP 2011 worth it?-screen-shot-2017-06-06-11.03.31-pm.jpg  
Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

i have an early 2011 mbp and shoved 16gb ram in it. still mixing big records like a champ!
Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

I removed the optical drive from mine and added a second drive, with the OWC Data Doubler.

Replaced the system drive with a 1 TB Momentus Hybrid drive.

Maxed out the RAM. it's now my road system.

Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Just don't do it!
I did upgrade my early 2011 MBP to an SSD/Full RAM.it was running like a champ till the inevitable GPU failure hit me last week. Nothing can be done at this point.
If I was in you shoes, I would just sell it while it works and grab a 2015 retina instead.
P.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Just don't do it!
I did upgrade my early 2011 MBP to an SSD/Full RAM.it was running like a champ till the inevitable GPU failure hit me last week. Nothing can be done at this point.
If I was in you shoes, I would just sell it while it works and grab a 2015 retina instead.
P.
i got super lucky with that. mine fried on the last week of my applecare!
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
i got super lucky with that. mine fried on the last week of my applecare!
but its gonna happen again,you are aware of that,right?!
and Apple wont do anything about it next time around. Most probably they'll offer you a discount towards a new unit.
Early 2011 MBPs is something that definitely Apple wants to forget ;-)
I would suggest to anyone that is still using one,pretty sure a lot of ppl do,
to use a proper laptop cooler. The clock is tickin'.....

P.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

yeah but everything internally is brand new so that's still a good 2 to 3 years added to it. i have back up plans so machine health isn't a high priority for me.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just don't do it!
P.
Mine failed last year, after applecare expired.
My local Apple store replaced the motherboard for free, it's at least worth a try.

Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
Mine failed last year, after applecare expired.
My local Apple store replaced the motherboard for free, it's at least worth a try.

Sure, but they say now they dont have the parts for any kind of fix on this.
...but the most important thing is that a bit of "hustling" and "haggling" will go a long towards a generous discount for a new unit.
Applestore doots are eager to please,mos def!

P.

ps: actually they HAD to cover all of the failed units as part of the Class Action lawsuit settlement

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/m...ramme-3497935/
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Same thing happened to my 2011 earlier this year. I got a 2014 refurb 2.8 with the 1tb ssd, and it's a big improvement over my 2011.
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Head

Well. I started out with just upgrading one slot of my ram from 2 Up to 8, so i have 10 now total.
Almost like a new computer for ~ $60.

Thanks!!
Old 1st July 2017
I upgraded my 9.1 mid 2012 MBP with a Samsung 850 Evo and it boots and loads in 35 seconds compared to 2-3 minutes with the 5400 hitachi spinner.. I also upgraded my ram to 16gb as well.. battery was acting up so replaced that as well.. about $400 worth of upgrades and she is brand new and running better than ever and I am still on OS X Lion lol so I can't imagine how speedy the newer OS will be! Def worth it
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just don't do it!
P.
Wow...is this STILL happening to Macbooks ? I thought my fried nVidia board in a 2008 MBP would have got Apple working on an end to that sort of thing...so it's still going on ?
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Wow...is this STILL happening to Macbooks ? I thought my fried nVidia board in a 2008 MBP would have got Apple working on an end to that sort of thing...so it's still going on ?
Nope, it was quad i7 Macbook Pro 2011-12, that had issues.

Some re-sellers may still have motherboards.
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBataa View Post
I've used a Sata 3 SSD drive in a Sata SSD 2 port before without any issues. One in a friends PC and the other as a main drive in a friends older MBP. Sata 3 SSD's never reach 6gb speeds anyway. Are you saying the DVD Sata port is different than a normal Sata 2 port speed wise? Because normal Sat 2 ports are 3gbs, not 1.5. In fact I never heard of a Sata 2 port being anything other than 3gbs.
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just don't do it!
P.
Same here ssd ram dual drive, was a great computer until it died. Even if I could get a replacement or get the gbu rebelled, there is no guarantee on how long it would last. It's now considered a "vintage computer" and not officially fixable by the Apple Store. I have real vintage computers G3 G4 that have a decade on this one that still work.

Last edited by robot:.; 3rd July 2017 at 04:52 AM..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search