The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reliable USB Hubs? Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd May 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
That's actually caused by an extension that doesn't play nicely with the older Mac's. Same thing happened to me (on my 2012 MBP) and was driving me crazy. I finally found a DIY solution from some smart chap online for Sierra and then High Sierra seemed to have fixed it BUT this latest High Sierra "security update" has again started causing problems so had to roll back.

These updates just don't always play nicely with this old bird. Can't even remember why I updated? Maybe it was for LPX? Anyway...

R.
An extension... Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look. Perhaps it's the .kext for my Roland keyboard...

Or, do you mean a new extension in Sierra/High Sierra that isn't compatible with older Macs?

Only reason for me to consider upgrading was also Logic 10.4. However, I don't think I'm missing that much.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
An extension... Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look. Perhaps it's the .kext for my Roland keyboard...

Or, do you mean a new extension in Sierra/High Sierra that isn't compatible with older Macs?

Only reason for me to consider upgrading was also Logic 10.4. However, I don't think I'm missing that much.
Hmmm. I think it's more an old extension that doesn't work on older macs that are running newer OS. Does that make sense?

But just did a quick Google and found this. Not sure if this is the original post that helped me (it was a year or so ago that I went through this) but you'll get gist of the problem/solution, I hope?

Good luck!

R.
Old 2nd May 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hmmm. I think it's more an old extension that doesn't work on older macs that are running newer OS. Does that make sense?
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. An old Roland driver that might not be compatible with a newer OS, for example.

Quote:
But just did a quick Google and found this. Not sure if this is the original post that helped me (it was a year or so ago that I went through this) but you'll get gist of the problem/solution, I hope?

Good luck!

R.
Missing link..?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. An old Roland driver that might not be compatible with a newer OS, for example.
Missing link..?
Doh!

os-x-el-capitan-10-11-1-hanging-on-boot-fixed/

R.
Old 3rd May 2018
mfx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Thank you. Ordered the USB c to 4x USB a. Fingers crossed. I am wondering if the 900ma is going to be the key to this working (not checked the others).
Will keep you posted

Quote:
@ALL YES WE HAVE A WINNER

Access Virus TI working very nicely on the Belkin USB hub above. What surprised me further, this is working on the USB-C port. Brilliant and thank you to everyone for their insightful input.

Early days yet, so happy to pop back if things go 'tits up'.

For ref - Windows10PRo on an Asus x299a board with latest bios.

Peace
Old 3rd May 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Old 11th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Reviving this, as looking for great hub to connect all my midi gear that transmits USB over midi.

my imac pro has 4 usb3 ports.. Current set up is seagate back up plus 8TB on one, Virus Ti on the other, Motu microlite 5x5 midi interface on the other (for my older gear like AN1x, 05RW, Trinity, et al).. This leaves one free USB 3 port. Of course, a powered USB2 hub is just fine, as nothing I own in midi gear is beyond USB2 specs.

I'll have the hub plugged into a sine wave UPS at all times

EVen a 10 port hub won't fit everything, but my idea is sort of to split it around.

For example, I have the caldigit TS3+ hub with 3 free USB3 ports. I also have an OWC thunderbolt 2 Dock from my old imac which works fine with the Apple TBolt 3 to 2 adapter, which I have.

That has USb ports on it as well. So i'll put a couple of them on the Caldigit, a couple on the OWC, and the rest on the powered hub.

Overbridge seems the way to go, but there is no where in OZ i can find the power supply for it, which is ridiculous. And Elektron will not sell to OZ direct.

Any ideas? A good stable hub for multiple midi synths basically. Right now all i have is an Mbeat 10 port USB2 hub with switches for each port. I wonder if that is good enough. I haven't opened it yet, bought it a couple years back. But i hear they are crappy is all....

I'll try it in the meantime.. if anyone knows the PSU of the overbridge, i'll get one made up and buy the hub locally.

Cheers
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Reviving this, as looking for great hub to connect all my midi gear that transmits USB over midi.

. if anyone knows the PSU of the overbridge, i'll get one made up and buy the hub locally.

Cheers
Suitable PSU for the Elektron Overhub 5VDC 3A

15 Watt Switchmode Slim High Power 5VDC 3.0A | Jaycar Electronics
Old 18th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
well, i have just bought this puppy.. The guy actually contacted the manufacturers to confirm it has MTT, as even though he had listed as such, manufacturers webpage doesn't advertise it, and I told him was essential.

Industrial Grade 20 Port USB 2.0 Hub Charger Data Sync And Charging Station. | eBay

10% cheaper than australian overhub price (the overhub without the PSU), so works out 50$ cheaper if you factor in the PSU. PS i made an offer for 107 AUD, the list price is 117, and he accepted. Just a heads up if you want to use the make offer button.

Difference to overhub is, 20 ports.. yes, it's USB 2 not 3, they do have a 40 port USB 3 one for double the price, but I don't see any value in USB3 for midi interfaces or synth usb midi. I don't know of ANY synth that has usb 3 on board,and this is basically dedicated to midi stuff. Even the virus is USB1.1. In fact I think they all are.

It comes with a W/W 8 amp 12 volt PSU, and provides 5V 900ma at each port. Obviously, 8 amps isn't enough to provide all that if you had 20 devices hooked up using 900ma each, but the optional overhub is a 3A PSU, OK, for 7 ports, but ratio is similar, and 90% of the stuff I will be using has it's own power. Only stuff needing bus power will be spark LE, Maschine, Axiom 25, and Motu Ultralite x 2. Rest are self powered.

I am going to *try* the virus TI2 on it, cause it may just work, has a better chance actually as it's a USB2 hub, whereas USB3 seems to be the one that gives issues on mac with some devices, and if the virusTI works, I free up a USB3 direct port on my imac, which I can save for another future SSD drive

Anyway, i'll let you all know how it goes, cause IF it works right (and I will be using 19(!!) of the USB ports, Pulse2/VirusTi2/Integra7/MoXF6/Tetrax2/NordA1R/TB-3/maschineMikroMk2/Spark LE/MicroLitex2/JD-XI/MicroLiteXL+/ELectribe2/KaossilatorPro+/MoroderNova/Axiom25(cause it has A/T and my other KB's dont)/RolandA49), it's actually way better value than the overblown price of the Overhub. If i can get ALL that above to work, I'll be praising that hub all over the net

I'll only have 7 devices using traditional midi 5 din(for now), so my test will involve 4 synths on one microlite, 3 on the microlite number 2 , and all the above plugged into USB!!! Woot! I am scared lol!

I am actually hoping I can get more on the machine in the future, just a couple more things I want next year, but they will have to work fine on the 3 free USB3 ports I have on my Thunderbolt 3 hub..I think it'll be OK..And maybe the 20th free port of the 20 port hub above LOL! let's max the thing out! Z1 is planned as is FS1R, one way or another, however long the wait is to get them at a normal price, which will take MOTU microlite i/o to 9 out of the 10. The other stuff I have on them is all old stuff without USB, AN1X and the like.

Anyway, it's shipping from China.. so will be at *least* 2 weeks. For now I am using one 4 port hub(usb3) and one 10 port(usb2), that are both full and it's working OK with occasional dropouts (neither are MTT), so, fingers crossed. All in one will be amazing. I might even screw it to the wall so it doesn't move and i have easy access!
Old 17th October 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
As promised...
Just wanted to confirm that the hub I linked to from ebay kick absolute ass.. it is true MTT, even the OS recognises it as such ( i have used other hubs claiming to be MTT but this one actually shows the word MTT in the usb info section in mac os system profiler).

It's built like a tank, zero rattles, good quality cables, 8 amp power supply..

All 20 ports work.. even the virus works on it which is known to be problematic on almost anything...

I took a chance and it paid off.. Very happy here. Cost me a few dollars less than an unpowered overhub would have cost me here, with 3x the ports! I made an offer and got it for 107 AUD, around 78 USD, so if you decide to get one, make an offer to save a few bucks.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Industri...-2-0-Hub-Charg er-Data-Sync-And-Charging-Station/112714262594?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBID X%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Is the one I bought, but I have seen him sell them in various regions (he'll provide the appropriate power cable for region afaik, i got an aussie one).

The 8 AMP psu is 100-240 W/W auto switch, and has a standard kettle plug connection, so if you need to, you can just use your own region's $5 cable from adapter to outlet. Cheers
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
As promised...
Just wanted to confirm that the hub I linked to from ebay kick absolute ass.. it is true MTT, even the OS recognises it as such ( i have used other hubs claiming to be MTT but this one actually shows the word MTT in the usb info section in mac os system profiler).

It's built like a tank, zero rattles, good quality cables, 8 amp power supply..

All 20 ports work.. even the virus works on it which is known to be problematic on almost anything...

I took a chance and it paid off.. Very happy here. Cost me a few dollars less than an unpowered overhub would have cost me here, with 3x the ports! I made an offer and got it for 107 AUD, around 78 USD, so if you decide to get one, make an offer to save a few bucks.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Industri...-2-0-Hub-Charg er-Data-Sync-And-Charging-Station/112714262594?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBID X%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Is the one I bought, but I have seen him sell them in various regions (he'll provide the appropriate power cable for region afaik, i got an aussie one).

The 8 AMP psu is 100-240 W/W auto switch, and has a standard kettle plug connection, so if you need to, you can just use your own region's $5 cable from adapter to outlet. Cheers
That's a USB 2.0 hub. For some reason, most USB 2.0 hubs are indeed MTT, in fact I've got a couple of cheap and nasty ones lying around here and they all work fine with all my NI audio interfaces. It's USB 3.0 that hub manufacturers decided to go cheap on us with.

I have been looking for an un-powered USB 3.0 MTT 4-port bus but all the ones I've tried that were actually MTT were powered. Here in China I was able to get hold of the following two hubs that I've personally and empirically confirmed to be MTT:

ORICO H4928-U3 (4 ports) <-- Tested both latest version and an earlier version, both were MTT
ORICO H7928-U3 (7 ports)

I asked Orico to confirm if the chipset was "VIA812-B2" which is a know reliable MTT chipset, but all they were able to tell me was "VIA812" so I just went ahead and bought the hubs for testing anyway, and luckily they worked. So I expect any hub by Orico advertised as featuring the VIA812 chipset is MTT and will work.

Another thing two note is that, after looking through a few chipset datasheets, most if not all USB hub chips offer support for just 4-ports. Hubs with more than 4 ports are basically two chips daisy-chained, that is, one chip piggy-backed onto the previous one. Hence one of the 4 ports of the first chip is expended to connect the second one: 4 - 1 + 4 = 7. Add a third chip and you get: 4 - 2 + 4 + 4 = 10. This explains why port count is always 4, 7 or 10. I don't know the technical detail but I guess that, because of this, in a 7-port hub there are 4 ports that are worse-performing than the other 3. In other words, 2 separate 4-port hubs may be better in bandwidth-critical applications, at the expense of convenience (two PSUs and two hubs).

Last edited by Scoox; 18th October 2018 at 07:15 AM..
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
not tried but having seen teardowns of these, the PSU and electronics look really good.

ORICO Aluminium 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 36W Power Adapter & 1M Data Cable - SV | eBay
I own this hub (black version), and it is not MTT, unless there is an upgraded model which uses a different chipset. If I connect any Native Instruments audio interface as soon as I try to use its ASIO driver the entire hub will power-cycle indefinitely.
Old 18th October 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
That's a USB 2.0 hub. For some reason, most USB 2.0 hubs are indeed MTT, in fact I've got a couple of cheap and nasty ones lying around here and they all work fine with all my NI audio interfaces. It's USB 3.0 that hub manufacturers decided to go cheap on us with.

I have been looking for an un-powered USB 3.0 MTT 4-port bus but all the ones I've tried that were actually MTT were powered. Here in China I was able to get hold of the following two hubs that I've personally and empirically confirmed to be MTT:

ORICO H4928-U3 (4 ports) <-- Tested both latest version and an earlier version, both were MTT
ORICO H7928-U3 (7 ports)

I asked Orico to confirm if the chipset was "VIA812-B2" which is a know reliable MTT chipset, but all they were able to tell me was "VIA812" so I just went ahead and bought the hubs for testing anyway, and luckily they worked. So I expect any hub by Orico advertised as featuring the VIA812 chipset is MTT and will work.

Another thing two note is that, after looking through a few chipset datasheets, most if not all USB hub chips offer support for just 4-ports. Hubs with more than 4 ports are basically two chips daisy-chained, that is, one chip piggy-backed onto the previous one. Hence one of the 4 ports of the first chip is expended to connect the second one: 4 - 1 + 4 = 7. Add a third chip and you get: 4 - 2 + 4 + 4 = 10. This explains why port count is always 4, 7 or 10. I don't know the technical detail but I guess that, because of this, in a 7-port hub there are 4 ports that are worse-performing than the other 3. In other words, 2 separate 4-port hubs may be better in bandwidth-critical applications, at the expense of convenience (two PSUs and two hubs).

yep, as i mentioned in my first post about it, USB 2.. absolutely zero reason for a usb 3 hub for audio unless you have to have a hub for a usb 3 audio interface.. for my uses, 20 different midi synths via USB, it's perfect. they don't even use usb 2 anyway, even the virus is usb 1. This hub works better with a lot of those than usb 3 hubs do.

Secondly, ask around, the via chipset for audio stuff is BAD.. this has the asmedia. It works. I can only report my own findings. The mbeat hub I have, which claims it is MTT (but OSX doesn't show it is), has the via chipset, 4 usb 2 and 3 usb 3 ports, and it SUCKS. Although it's good enough to run all my dongles.. So i have the MTT hub running all synths, the mbeat running all dongles, I have two thunderbolt 3 hubs, and one of those has a firewire port so i am running the mophie firewire and usb 2 4 port hub on the thunderbolt hub and it works perfectly as well, provides power to anything without needing a PSU (draws it from firewire), and I have a seagate backup plus which also has an extra 2 usb 3 ports that i run portable extra back up drives off. PHEW!

One thing I can't tell with the imac Pro, is how many usb busses there are.. my old imac used to tell me, there were two separate usb busses, so I could plan what i put on what, to maximise bandwidth. In any case, i have never had so many things connected to a computer before, between apollos, midi synths, hubs and drives, i have over 40 things connected and it runs like a rock.

Last edited by TNM; 18th October 2018 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yep, as i mentioned in my first post about it, USB 2.. absolutely zero reason for a usb 3 hub for audio unless you have to have a hub for a usb audio interface.. for my uses, 20 different midi synths via USB, it's perfect. they don't even use usb 2 anyway, even the virus is usb 1. This hub works better with a lot of those than usb 3 hubs do.

Secondly, ask around, the via chipset for audio stuff is BAD.. this has the asmedia. It works. I can only report my own findings. The mbeat hub I have, which claims it is MTT (but OSX doesn't show it is), has the via chipset, 4 usb 2 and 3 usb 3 ports, and it SUCKS. Although it's good enough to run all my dongles.. So i have the MTT hub running all synths, the mbeat running all dongles, I have two thunderbolt 3 hubs, and one of those has a firewport so i am running the mophie firewire and usb 2 4 port hub on the thunderbolt hub and it works perfectly as well, provides power to anything without needing a PSU (draws it from firewire), and I have a seagate backup plus which also has an extra 2 usb 3 ports that i run portable extra back up drives off. PHEW!

One thing I can't tell with the imac Pro, is how many usb busses there are.. my old imac used to tell me, there were two separate usb busses, so I could plan what i put on what, to maximise bandwidth. In any case, i have never had so many things connected to a computer before, between apollos, midi synths, hubs and drives, i have over 40 things connected and it runs like a rock.
That makes sense. My interest in USB 3.0 hub stems from the fact that I need to use connect a hard drive and an ASIO audio interface to my Surface Pro's single USB port. In this case USB 2.0 works but copying & writing files to the external drive is too slow.
Old 20th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hi slutz,

So im looking at a USB hub coz my gear simply doesnt reach my mac as i have an awkward space to work with.
Reading this thread theres a lot of good info but im still wondering if i need a powered hub? I take it a USB 2 hub will be fine for my purposes and actually better quality with most with MTT?

I only really need around 4 slots for a TR8, Digitakt, and possibly a virus ti, and sub37.
I dont want the hub for charging anything, just for recording audio from the gear mentioned into Logic, and maybe running an external HD for backups from time to time.

Cheers
Old 20th November 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by juna2 View Post
I take it a USB 2 hub will be fine for my purposes and actually better quality with most with MTT?
I do not understand what you mean by that. Better quality of what?

Personally, I only use powered hubs since I never know what I might plug in on the odd occasion, like a USB-powered drive or interface. Even USB sticks are not always recognised by unpowered hubs.
Old 25th November 2018
Here for the gear

Some posts earlier in the thread suggesting that USB3 hubs are somehow using cheaper parts..
Anyway it doesnt really matter- ill try a USB 2 and see how i get on, as it all sounds very hit and miss.
Old 25th November 2018
Gear Addict
I was using some cheapo Sabrent powered USB 3 hub (that got great reviews on Amazon) to connect a few external hard drives, an ilok, and every once in awhile my Samsung phone. It mostly worked OK but then I started having drives randomly unmount. Browsing files on my phone also didn't work right half the time and other weird things started to happen, like iTunes tracks stuttering when played off of one of the drives connected to the hub. I replaced it with a Belkin powered USB 3 hub (the one from Apple's website) and all of those problems are gone. It was really worth it to pay a little more for the more reputable brand. I'm sure quality varies at all price points between various manufacturers, but this was my experience so I'm not taking the risk with this kind of thing next time.
Old 25th November 2018
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
I was using some cheapo Sabrent powered USB 3 hub (that got great reviews on Amazon) to connect a few external hard drives, an ilok, and every once in awhile my Samsung phone. It mostly worked OK but then I started having drives randomly unmount. Browsing files on my phone also didn't work right half the time and other weird things started to happen, like iTunes tracks stuttering when played off of one of the drives connected to the hub. I replaced it with a Belkin powered USB 3 hub (the one from Apple's website) and all of those problems are gone. It was really worth it to pay a little more for the more reputable brand. I'm sure quality varies at all price points between various manufacturers, but this was my experience so I'm not taking the risk with this kind of thing next time.
How long have you had the Belkin one though? I'm looking at them right now, but the problems with these hubs seem to develop over time.
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
OK, so I made a mistake above when I said I use Orico hubs. I got confused as I was using Orico hubs when I was working out of a radio station last year.

The two hubs I'm actually using are made by a company called Plugable. I use one USB2 and one USB3 hub. These are the ones I'm using.

Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port Hub with 60W Power Adapter - Plugable

Plugable USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 25W Power Adapter - Plugable

If you read the specs on the USB3 hub, the pertinent line to pay attention to is this.

• Features two VIA VL812 Rev B2 hub chipsets with the latest v9095 firmware for maximum compatibility and performance with most USB 3.0 host controllers.

I did a LOT of research into finding a stable USB3 hub for Macs that performed as it should with correct throughput etc. and from what I kept coming across in my readings, was that v9095 FW was the key part in getting it to work as it should.

I've been using these hubs for two years, day in/day out and they've performed flawlessly. No issues at all.

Hope that helps.
the link you provided says this:

"Featuring the VIA VL813 USB 3.0 hub chipset updated to firmware version 9015 for maximum compatibility with almost all USB 3.0 hosts."

Is there a difference between the v9095 you've mentioned an the 9015 mentioned in the link? I am running MacosSierra 10.12.6 macbook pro late 2011. Will this item be fully compatible with me?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

How did everyone get along with their purchased USB 3.0 hubs at this point?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

All Mac guys on this thread!

I'm on win10 pc. Bought a 4port SIIG USB 3.0 hub to expand my single 3.0 port. About 29.00 at Fry's. Includes optional wall wart when you want 900 mw at the ports (instead of 500mw).

Haven't used the wall wart yet in any circumstances. All seems to work fine.

Last edited by thenoodle; 4 days ago at 12:46 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
The Belkin hub that I mentioned earlier is still working very well. I've had one of my hard drives dismount a couple of times over the last several months but I think that may be an issue with the hard drive itself. I'm not having anywhere near the number of problems I had with the Sabrent. I'm glad I spent the extra money.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Sorry for the belated response guys, for some reason I didn't get notified of these quotes...will report this to our devs.

So far so good with the hub. Here's what I'm currently using on it: two dongles (iLok/elicenser), USB keyboard/mouse, Arturia Keystep and two hardware synths. These synths are getting MIDI clock from a DAW, so the hub is not messing up with that which is great. The Keystep is not a power-hungry unit but it has been holding on just fine. No disconnects so far. I also did a few transfers from USB3 sticks and external HDs and it all went smooth.

My only complaint would be the USB-to-computer connector on the hub, which is a micro B type and feels a bit flimsy. This is not a problem if you're planning to leave it untouched on a desktop setup but can be a concern if you need to plug/unplug frequently.

Now let's see if it lasts. Some of these things won't last long, but hopefully this is not the case.
Hi,

Did this end up lasting for you?

Also, I'm planning to connect an interface and external SSD via the hub. Can you confirm that this brand of hub doesn't result in slower data transfer speeds (slower than the "up to 5 Gbps" of USB 3.0, I mean)?

Thank you!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

My advice to everyone on this thread is: AVOID COMPUTERS WITH A SINGLE USB PORT LIKE THE PLAGUE! My MS Surface Pro recently has started to develop power issues on the USB port causing all sorts of connection drop-outs (external drives and peripherals sotp working randomly) and screen backlight flicker when devices are connected/disconnected. I've tested with different hubs, it's all the same. For me the bare minimum is 3 ports, especially for a live performance machine. I'm buying a Mi Gaming Notebook next week which has very good DPC latency, 4 USB 3.1 gen 1 USB ports and one USB 3.1 gen 3 Type-C port. After using this Microsoft pretty-looking garbage for nearly two years, I can't wait to get my hands on the new laptop. The SP4 is going back for repair as it's still under warranty. Wife says she wants it, and I'm happy to part with it.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgstarcaster View Post
Hi,

Did this end up lasting for you?

Also, I'm planning to connect an interface and external SSD via the hub. Can you confirm that this brand of hub doesn't result in slower data transfer speeds (slower than the "up to 5 Gbps" of USB 3.0, I mean)?

Thank you!
Yep, still have the hub. Working fine, and since the Macbook Pro became my main working computer it's getting quite a lot of use, but it's "light" use in terms of bandwidth and energy i.e. MIDI controllers, iLoks, wireless mouse/keyboard receptors. The exception would be my three Elektron machines, but I'm not using them to their full extent although I've tested Overbridge (which streams audio from the synths through USB) and it was fine on both my Macbooks (Pro and Air, both from 2015). Can't say how it would go on Windows. I also don't have a SSD to test the rates as my external HDD is on a Thunderbolt 2 port.

Initially I think it's not a great idea to connect an interface and a SSD through a USB 3 hub, it may or may not work depending on a number factors, but I wouldn't plan my setup around that. Do you really need to have it all through the hub i.e. lacking more ports?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

USB Hubs for iMac Pro

I got a little Satechi hub and I quickly noticed on my new iMac Pro, if I have a couple dongles, iLocks and drives, plus my interface etc it seems some USB stuff isn’t recognized. Pisses me off! It’s a brand new 8k computer and has trouble with a handful of USB items? Anyway, I got the Amazon basics powered USB-3 hub on the way. I really hope it helps.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yep, still have the hub. Working fine, and since the Macbook Pro became my main working computer it's getting quite a lot of use, but it's "light" use in terms of bandwidth and energy i.e. MIDI controllers, iLoks, wireless mouse/keyboard receptors. The exception would be my three Elektron machines, but I'm not using them to their full extent although I've tested Overbridge (which streams audio from the synths through USB) and it was fine on both my Macbooks (Pro and Air, both from 2015). Can't say how it would go on Windows. I also don't have a SSD to test the rates as my external HDD is on a Thunderbolt 2 port.

Initially I think it's not a great idea to connect an interface and a SSD through a USB 3 hub, it may or may not work depending on a number factors, but I wouldn't plan my setup around that. Do you really need to have it all through the hub i.e. lacking more ports?
Thanks for your response. Yes, so I'm using a MacBook Pro with 2 USB ports, and I have the following to connect (all via USB):

Audient iD22
External SSD (used for sample libraries)
Arturia Beatstep Pro
Akai MPK249 keyboard
Expert Sleepers FH-2 (Eurorack USB/MIDI -> CV interface)

My thought was that I'd connect the Audient directly into one port and everything else through the hub. But maybe it would be better to put the SSD on its own port instead - not sure about this. In any case, you think this will be problematic?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgstarcaster View Post
Thanks for your response. Yes, so I'm using a MacBook Pro with 2 USB ports, and I have the following to connect (all via USB):

Audient iD22
External SSD (used for sample libraries)
Arturia Beatstep Pro
Akai MPK249 keyboard
Expert Sleepers FH-2 (Eurorack USB/MIDI -> CV interface)

My thought was that I'd connect the Audient directly into one port and everything else through the hub. But maybe it would be better to put the SSD on its own port instead - not sure about this. In any case, you think this will be problematic?
That's what I did back when I had the Babyface Pro, dedicating a port to the interface and plugging the hub on the other - but I didn't have a SSD on USB as I went for a TB2 drive as I've mentioned before. I think your setup might work, not sure if about the speeds you'll get on the SSD but there's a good chance of working as the rest of your gear is MIDI, which is light. Are you thinking about streaming libraries like Kontakt libraries for example? It will be slower than the usual onboard SSD of course, but might be workable.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's what I did back when I had the Babyface Pro, dedicating a port to the interface and plugging the hub on the other - but I didn't have a SSD on USB as I went for a TB2 drive as I've mentioned before. I think your setup might work, not sure if about the speeds you'll get on the SSD but there's a good chance of working as the rest of your gear is MIDI, which is light. Are you thinking about streaming libraries like Kontakt libraries for example? It will be slower than the usual onboard SSD of course, but might be workable.

Sounds like maybe I just need to run the external SSD via TB2?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search