The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody bought Korg Gadget for Mac? Control Surfaces
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody bought Korg Gadget for Mac?

Hi people,
Thought I'd ask as I'm not reading anything on it. Just bought it yesterday since it's on special until the end of May(until the next special) and they updated it with the Wavestation module this week.

Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the Gadget plugin Collection that you can use with any DAW( AU, AAX, VST). Of course you can tell by my username that I'm pretty sold to the Korg "sound" but I found most Gadget to sound great and simple to use. There's no Omnisphere-level offering but they're great to use. Apart from the sample-based ones that you won't write home about, except maybe if you want some classic Triton style sounds, there's full of audio tools in there.

I don't think I'll ever use the app as such but for 199$ you get 31 soft synths. That's 6.45$/ synth and that's including the Classic M1 and Wavestation with all their addon cards. Impressive.

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-u...-Synth-gadgets

So, anybody bought it?

KA
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

I just downloaded the LE Version & also have it on the iPad along with iM1. It sounds like you're giving it a firm affirmation, and the good news is the interoperability with the iPad, as well as being able to create an Ableton Live set (that can be rewired into Logic or other host.)

$199 does seem worth it since it comes with the M1, Odyssey, and as you mentioned Wavestation. Just the quick and easy sequencing is pushing me to pull the trigger on this one. I suppose you can sketch GB projects on the iPad and then transfer them to a Logic set, but honestly I've never done that.

The only fear I have is that this will just sit on my drive, though the plugins seriously reduce this risk. However, then there's the question do I really need 30 additional synthesizers / drum machines? I suppose you can pick and choose, similar to how I do not automatically load all the UAD models into the two DAWs I routinely use.

As you said it's $6.45 for each, so I can't come up with too many hard core counter-arguments pushing me to take a pass. Just sequencing drums is for some unknown reason simpler than to do so in Logic or Ableton -- and the two are probably the among the best sequencers for creating patterns. It just seems less clunky in Gadget, and I have no idea why. It's workflow is seriously similar to Live 9's. Perhaps it's the seamless integration of all the parts, and there's not too much choice beyond the 30 instruments, i.e. I don't believe the full version allows for other AU EFX. Maybe Korg has some exceptional designers on staff.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

I've tooled around with Gadget LE on my Mac and have the following reservations about pulling the trigger:

1 - I did not realize this, but even the iPad version's downloadable ALS (Live Set) now will include MIDI in lieu of only Audio Tracks. You can use any VI from Ableton's stockpile or virtually any third party AU; that's huge for the iPad version and lessens the need for the interoperability. You can then transfer the MIDI Clips over to another DAW from the ALS such as Logic or Cubase with or without Rewire if need be;

2 - I could buy Ableton's Push 2 for a little more than triple the price of the Mac Gadget SW Suite. That's huge too, and I could get one of the Launchpads or APCs for less than the price. I could go another route entirely and purchase the Avenger Synthesizer for roughly the same price, and that's quite advanced comparatively. I already have an MPK49 and an MPD24;

3 - Although I honestly like the Gadget Synthesizers when mobile, there's really nothing I cannot replicate on macOS. The Odyssey Gadget seems interesting enough, but not to justify the entire price;

4 - Ableton's Session View essentially provides just about the same ease-of-use as the Gadget DAW if set up properly at the get-go.

I believe I am going to take a pass. The mirroring of clunky functionality between iOS and macOS is actually irritating. It's appropriate on the tablet, though it's way cumbersome on the Mac. I'm glad I did not make the impulse-purchase last evening, and the good news is that it enabled me to discover the new ALS feature regarding MIDI with the iPad version.

I too own Darwin (iM1) and one of the Drum Machines, so I can configure AMS to include the requisite IAC utilizing StudioMux & MidiMux if I really need the M1 Piano. I just purchased ARP ADYSSEi as well. I believe the same is the case for the iPad's relatively new iWavestation. However, I'm not entirely certain this can be done with MIDI, it might be Audio only. I'll have to experiment, though I'm 90% certain you can trigger MIDI with the tools. The iPad will need to be connected to the Mac of course.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

I can understand that. My main interest is the AU Collection since the Legacy seems forgotten by Korg. They didn't update it since 2013 and sometimes Wavestation crash Logic randomly. I don't expect Korg to revisit their Legacy Collection any time soon.

So, for 199$ I have a "new" Wavestation with updated interface and some of the analog modeling gadget are great for their simplicity and how fast you can achieve a quality result fast. The slicer and some drum machine gadgets are nice also.

But it will be a challenge for Korg to convince people to buy it as everybody already has a better DAW and a nice collection of VSTis. Me, what can I do? I'm a Korg addict

KA
Old 1st June 2017
Korg Gadget for Mac

I'm on the fence with this purchase.

I'm a huge fan of Gadget for iOS, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that there's no cross-grade option for those that already own all the iOS versions of the plugins.

However, I'll most likely bite the bullet and grab this at some point as I want immediate access to the plugins in my DAW.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Nut

I've been using it for a while and really like it. Bought it because I liked the iOS version (one of the best on that platform). The main draw for me was the gadget collection in VST format, however, I've been having great fun in the gadget app itself. It's good for creating the nucleus of an idea very quickly (export wave files to DAW) - no distractions of other plugins etc.. I look at each gadgets like a piece of hardware (single function), and easy to navigate. I realise I could do this in my DAW (Cubase) too, but I don't have the discipline...
Back to the product itself. At the moment it's €199 and you get a whole host of excellent virtual instruments that are fun and sound really good IMO. Even if you only pick your favourite five or six gadgets for me it's ok value wise (at the full price of €299 it's too expensive IMO).
Also the next version should be NKS compatible. That was another reason for me buying it.

I agree that Korg should have given an even cheaper cross grade price for owners of the iOS version.
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Head

I'm with Dazlermac on this. I bought it day one, and while the sequencer is cool for sketching out ideas, I am all about having these fun and good-sounding gadgets as their own plugins to use in my sequencer of choice.
Old 6th June 2017
Here for the gear

I bought it a couple weeks after it came out. I already had the iOS version, but the only app/gadgets I had purchased was the iM1 so I wasn't too far in.

Some thoughts:

Most of the gadgets I didn't have in the base iOS version are fantastic. All the Module ones sound good, the Odyssei sounds fantastic, and Milpitas (Wavestation) just came out last week and that's all kinds of fun

Gadget itself is nice, just as nice as the iOS version. I'd like to use it more to pick up and play on the go when not connected to the rest of my gear/interface/etc, but unless I'm just not understanding this there is no support for MIDI devices besides Korg's Nano stuff. You can play gadgets with the keyboard but come on, no midi at all? I've tried with multiple control surfaces and nothing, and it flat out makes my Axiom Air crash. Seeing C++ errors scrolling across the keyboard's LCD screen really caught me offguard the first time.

The gadgets in plugin form however, for the $200 launch price is hard to beat. I'm mostly all OTB so I've never really even had any plugins aside from free stuff I come across every now and then. All the gadgets work perfectly in Ableton, and the Zurich and Rosario gadgets acting as effect plugins is great. Can use those with anything

Gadget itself would be great with proper midi support and if it got it I'd probably use it a lot, but all of the gadgets in plugin mode? Absolutely loving it
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Nut

Hi Stratimus,

The Mac version runs fine with any midi controller I connect via USB - NI Komplete Kontrol, Moog Sub37, and even the sparks controller triggers sounds. No configuration needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratimus View Post
I'd like to use it more to pick up and play on the go when not connected to the rest of my gear/interface/etc, but unless I'm just not understanding this there is no support for MIDI devices besides Korg's Nano stuff. You can play gadgets with the keyboard but come on, no midi at all? I've tried with multiple control surfaces and nothing, and it flat out makes my Axiom Air crash. Seeing C++ errors scrolling across the keyboard's LCD screen really caught me offguard the first time.
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Damn, I missed the discount it seems - I was on the fence, then you guys convinced me - now I'm on the fence again.

I very rarely use plugin instruments - but figured it would be easier to use the Korg VSTi's instead of trying to reproduce something I actually really like, also really interested in Salzburg and Madrid and Gladstone.

Do you think it is worth $299 - I would definitely want to trigger sounds with my minilogue and easily assign it's knobs to control the Korg VSTi s - is this possible?
I would also want to trigger London and Recife with my Push - is that possible.

I already own the iOS version and its great on the go (unless it is hot and sunny and/or you're using wireless headphones) I really like it to quickly throw something together - but so far really dislike trying to arrange and edit with it.
So far the Mac LE version has neither impressed nor disappointed.

It would cost me about half as much to buy all the iOS apps.
Do you think I should just settle with that and use Link?

All the features and instruments I actually want to try out - to make my mind up are disabled - I was about to just jump in and buy..... but now the price is back to $299.

If the Mac version came with all instruments for ALL devices - I would probably get it.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post

Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the Gadget plugin Collection that you can use with any DAW( AU, AAX, VST). Of course you can tell by my username that I'm pretty sold to the Korg "sound"
I didn't see any VST version or VST-PC. As a Korg fan myself (I have the Legacy and Korg hardware) and PC user I hope they release these Gadgets on PC-VST. Any news on that?
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I didn't see any VST version or VST-PC. As a Korg fan myself (I have the Legacy and Korg hardware) and PC user I hope they release these Gadgets on PC-VST. Any news on that?
No, unfortunately, it's VST on Mac only since the app is for Mac only. Strange decision but I guess it's easier to port an iOS app to macOS than to Windows. Korg computer stuff has always been Windows and Mac-compatible.

KA
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
No, unfortunately, it's VST on Mac only since the app is for Mac only. Strange decision but I guess it's easier to port an iOS app to macOS than to Windows. Korg computer stuff has always been Windows and Mac-compatible.

KA
Thanks. Maybe one day.
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

Is it possible to transfer the project created in iOS version to MacOS version easily ?
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

Sure would be nice if korguser.net owners who own the full previous suite were offered an upgrade path. Wavestation indeed is crashy in modern DAWs and an update would be appreciated.

Last edited by valis; 27th July 2017 at 10:21 AM..
Old 25th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
Is it possible to transfer the project created in iOS version to MacOS version easily ?
Yes. Via gadget cloud as far as I recall. So file, export to gadget cloud, on your iOS device, then open it via gadget cloud on the mac version.

I think you have to setup the gadget cloud thing before hand - I think.
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

That's actually great. Thanks for the info.

I compose a lot on gadget ios version.
I recently bought an Imac and i'd be happy to continue on the mac version effortlessly. When i'm finished with gadget, I would export to logic to finish mixing and mastering.

I agree that 299€ is kind of expensive though, when you already bought the ios version…
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Sure would be nice if korguser.net owners who own the full previous suite were offered an upgrade path. Wavestation indeed is crashy in modern DAWs and an update would be appreciated.
It's not so much an upgrade path, but rather a different product that includes its own version with AUs for each. Korg Gadget for Mac, or whatever it is called today, is now $149 and you can still export to Live from the iOS version. Is anyone aware if you can export Mac Projects to .als format? Intuition tells me yes with the advent of Gadget Cloud, but I'd like to ensure before purchasing.

I deleted LE from my system a few months ago and do not recall.

EDIT: The Gadget Sets are fully interoperable with Ableton Live. I took the plunge.

Last edited by MusiKLover; 30th December 2017 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Interoperability with Live
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Actually it turns out that Corbin migrated users of the old sweet over to the new authorization system as well on the new website, so it seems that continue to maintain at least for sometime and I am happy.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Actually it turns out that Corbin migrated users of the old sweet over to the new authorization system as well on the new website, so it seems that continue to maintain at least for sometime and I am happy.
New drum synth named 'Momentum" coming soon..perhaps?

oops! little bit of Politics there

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search