The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a quality destructive wave editor that won't break the bank.
Old 25th May 2017
Here for the gear

Looking for a quality destructive wave editor that won't break the bank.

(Mac)

I'm looking for something just a bit more full-featured than MicroWave.

I loved Cool Edit Pro back in the day (it's now Adobe Audition with a subscription and possibly a bunch of stuff I don't need.) That's too expensive for me.

Would be nice to have some very basic multi-tracking and effects that change over time (such as enveloped pitch changes).

I use Logic for most everything else but I prefer a dedicated app for chopping stuff up and making strange transitions.

Thanks

Last edited by tripzuida; 25th May 2017 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: OS
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I've tried everything for mac. Wavelab was my last resort. It isn't cheap though...
Old 25th May 2017
Sound Forge is back to the Mac, but it's not exactly cheap too.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Sony released version 2 for mac. Sold to magix. Magix dropped mac version as far as I can tell. It was buggy trash on mac, coming from a guy who's been using sound forge on PC since it was a sonic foundry product.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

My favorite thread for mac editors titled

Mac Audio editors make me want to set fire to my hair
Old 25th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
Sony released version 2 for mac. Sold to magix. Magix dropped mac version as far as I can tell. It was buggy trash on mac, coming from a guy who's been using sound forge on PC since it was a sonic foundry product.
Magix released Version 3 for Mac last week: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...orge-line.html
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Magix released Version 3 for Mac last week: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...orge-line.html
Nice!!!
No demo, no upgrade path? Uggg
Old 25th May 2017
Quote:
Nice!!!
No demo, no upgrade path? Uggg
Indeed a bummer. I've asked Magix to clarify that, waiting to hear from them - will post here when I have their answers.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed a bummer. I've asked Magix to clarify that, waiting to hear from them - will post here when I have their answers.
That's very kind of you! I would scoop this up in a second if there was a stable trial available. I miss sound forge....

Sorry for the hijack guys! As you were
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I still use Cool edit, both the older and newer versions. It even works on a 64 bit unit running win 10 in 32 bit mode.
The only thing is it may not pick up some of the newer plugins. I'm still able to run my older Waves plugins which is all I mostly use when mastering. Its still a great editor however.

I do have others like Wavelab, Sound Forge and Gold Wave. I just got used to cool edit first.

I do have Adobie too but I don't want/need to run a DAW when mastering. I just want to run a stereo file and edit it.
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
I still use Cool edit, both the older and newer versions. It even works on a 64 bit unit running win 10 in 32 bit mode.
I wish I could run the old version on a modern Mac! I could try virtualization, but I doubt that would work out well for audio.
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
I really like Twisted Wave as the main 2 channel editor for Mac. It's very fluid and easy to use, but has some power features like batch processing etc. It does support multiple tracks at once. Another option is DSP Quattro which has more control over the fades and creating a kind of 'arrangement' with multiple waves. I think you can demo these. Also look at Amadeus Pro, which has decent control over the fades/multichannel editing. I would personally stay away from Audiofile's editor Triumph which feels like it's been designed by an alien race, nothing makes any familiar sense in it, especially if you liked the clear cut Cool Edit Pro (as did I).

I do know some guys use Reaper like a 2 channel editor, it won't destructively write to files directly on the timeline though, but is very VERY good for comping a whole bunch of nonsense together collage-style (has per item FX, drawable fades, flexible time/pitch manipulation per audio clip etc). I find hovering between Twisted Wave for speed and Reaper for elaborate 'gridless' editing very powerful.
Thank you for this. Quattro looks like what I was thinking of, but Reaper kind of has me inspired to do crazy stuff. There's something about switching to a dedicated app for "special" projects that gets my juices flowing. I'm installing the reaper demo this weekend.
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

I've tried getting into AUdacity a few times but never felt at home. That was years ago though. Maybe should give it another try.
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've tried everything for mac. Wavelab was my last resort. It isn't cheap though...
I was a Cubase guy back in the day so I knew Wavelab (like almost 15 years ago I had that). Used it for mastering and liked it. Might give it a look but I'm on an extremely tight budget. Same trouble with Sound Forge.
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
I really like Twisted Wave as the main 2 channel editor for Mac.
Does Twisted Wave allow pitch and time shifting over time? Meaning, can I have a track start at 10% speed then gradually rise up to 100% and vice-versa?
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

I need to look into Wavelab Elements. Even that is pretty expensive for me at this point but could work if it's got what I need.

EDIT: Bah, it requires a dongle. I refuse to support that as a matter of principle. Get with it, Steinberg.
Old 26th May 2017
Quote:
That's very kind of you! I would scoop this up in a second if there was a stable trial available. I miss sound forge....

Sorry for the hijack guys! As you were
Hijacking for a good reason now - heard back from Magix and they say that an upgrade button will soon be available on their website. For now they're sending email for previous owners with an upgrade offer.

In case you're an owner and for some reasosn didn't receive the email, please get in touch with them ([email protected]) and they'll sort it out.

Hope it helps!

Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripzuida View Post
I need to look into Wavelab Elements. Even that is pretty expensive for me at this point but could work if it's got what I need.

EDIT: Bah, it requires a dongle. I refuse to support that as a matter of principle. Get with it, Steinberg.
Pro requires the dongle, I don't think that Elements does.
Old 5th June 2017
Sky
Lives for gear

I've settled on Amadeus Pro, but also try to do more two track work in ProTools then I did years ago. I prefer the older Amadeus UI which was similar to Sound Designer II. The newer interface seems more complex - still quite usable - and the feature set is deep.

I was a Cool Edit Pro fan on Windows.

Sky
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, principaled or not, dongles are a legitimate way of insuring that people cannot _steal_ software.

You may end up living without that which you seek in functionality. But by all means...
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for this. Quattro looks like what I was thinking of, but Reaper kind of has me inspired to do crazy stuff. There's something about switching to a dedicated app for "special" projects that gets my juices flowing. I'm installing the reaper demo this weekend.
I use DSP Quattro and like it, but the latest build tends to crash randomly on Sierra. I think Audiofile makes an audio editor too, but I can't remember the name of it offhand.
Old 22nd June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
The only thing is it may not pick up some of the newer plugins. I'm still able to run my older Waves plugins which is all I mostly use when mastering. Its still a great editor however.

I do have others like Wavelab, Sound Forge and Gold Wave. I just got used to cool edit first.

I do have Adobie too but I don't want/need to run a DAW when mastering. I just want to run a stereo file and edit it.
Long delay on my reply here. So is Adobe Audition much more focused on multitracking now? I remember when CEP started slowly adding that stuff. I would just use it to fade in some synth noise over an intro or something, maybe spice a bridge up with sound effects. But then it seemed to be transitioning so multi was the focus and I couldn't understand it. So many DAWs, why play catch up when you do one thing so well!?
Old 22nd June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Includes iZotope RX Elements and Ozone 7 Elements. I don't know how much it would bother me to have limited macro control in Ozone Elements, but that sweetens the deal a bit.
Old 2nd July 2017
Here for the gear

Magix doesn't make the Sound Forge Pro Mac 3 upgrade link easy to find; for those interested, here it is:

Upgrade: SOUND FORGE Pro Mac 3

It's currently $149 to upgrade from v2, with the web site saying "Offer only available for a short time!" and that it's a $150 upgrade discount. Speaking for myself, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. The highlighted new features are the inclusion of limited versions of iZotope RX and Ozone. I have full versions of those, so basically they're asking me to pay for capability I already have (and beyond the included capability). I'm somewhat tempted to upgrade just to help fund continued development, but frankly I've never felt as comfortable with SFPM as I was with BIAS Peak, and I keep wondering if there's a better alternative I should be investing in.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search