The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is this Atari ST interface box? Digital Master by Hybrid Arts
Old 20th May 2017
Here for the gear

What is this Atari ST interface box? Digital Master by Hybrid Arts

Can any body tell me about this device that plugs into an Atari STe I just picked up? Or point me towards some documentation?

Pictures are attached.

It interfaces with the ST via a ribbon cable through the cartridge slot and has I/O for balanced stereo audio in, digital (audio?) and SMPTE (for time code correlation I assume). Any info is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this Atari ST interface box?  Digital Master by Hybrid Arts-hybraid-arts-digital-master-.jpg   What is this Atari ST interface box?  Digital Master by Hybrid Arts-hybraid-arts-digital-master-b.jpg  
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm only guessing here, but I think it is a sampling system, there were a couple of different ones developed for the Atari.

Chances are you will need the software to run it, and without a manual you could hit a wall quite quickly.

I suggest joining a specific Atari forum and asking about it there. I believe there are a couple, you will have a better chance of getting information on something as old and rare as this.
Old 7th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Goat View Post
Can any body tell me about this device that plugs into an Atari STe I just picked up? Or point me towards some documentation?

Pictures are attached.

It interfaces with the ST via a ribbon cable through the cartridge slot and has I/O for balanced stereo audio in, digital (audio?) and SMPTE (for time code correlation I assume). Any info is appreciated.

Wow. Haven't seen that in a while, but I remember being in awe of 2 channel, 16-bit audio coming from that very device when I was in high school (1991 maybe?).

I am pretty sure it was synced to Cubase or Notator (Logic) via timecode. Neither software supported audio at the time, and this pre-dated the Yamaha CBX-D5 which brought the sorcery to 4 channels of playback.

It certainly brings back memories, but I don't think there's much you can constructively do with that box today.
Old 7th June 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replys. I actually found the software and documentation deeper in the shipping box. I'm no musician and the tech is probably outdated anyway. But it sure looks impressive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search