The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverb Plugins Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Reverb Plugins

Hey, I've been looking into Reverb plugins. Right now I have the ones that came with PT:

-AIRNon-LinearReverb
-AIRReverb
-AIRSpringReverb
-Black Spring
-DVerb
-Studio Reverb

And the UAD EMT 140, which came with my Apollo DUO.

How many different reverb plugins do you guys use on a given mix, in general?

I'm looking for some suggestions on Reverb plugins, based on what I'd need most vs what I already have. I don't have alot of cash to drop, so definitely reverbs that are under $100.
I was reading that the ValhallaDSP reverbs are good, and only $50/ea. Also, Waves H-Reverb is on sale for $49.

Thanks,
-Adam
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Get the Seventh Heaven by Liquidsonics and later the pro version if you're on a budget. There's a long discussion over in the new product alerts forum.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
Get the Seventh Heaven by Liquidsonics and later the pro version if you're on a budget. There's a long discussion over in the new product alerts forum.
Someone else suggested another Liquidsonics plug, Reverbgate 2. Have you tried this one? There's a free LE version, but it says that it doesn't have the the "modulation or true stereo capabilities." Not sure if that takes away too much of what makes it a good sounding plug.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

What kind of reverb are you looking for? Room, Hall, Plate? Transparent or colorful?

It's a great time for reverbs ITB - it just depends on what type you're looking for.
Old 19th May 2017
The H Reverb is really good
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post
Someone else suggested another Liquidsonics plug, Reverbgate 2. Have you tried this one? There's a free LE version, but it says that it doesn't have the the "modulation or true stereo capabilities." Not sure if that takes away too much of what makes it a good sounding plug.
Seventh Heaven focuses on one reverb, the Bricasti M7, and uses new Impulse responses and other things different from Reverberate. The pro version goes even further in evolving the software tech. Myself, I never had much experience with Reverberate. However, if you read the Seventh Heaven thread, you'll read responses from many people who have tried both. I've heard a recording where someone swapped in the regular Seventh Heaven instead of the Relab 480. Myself and others thought the SH delivered the superior result.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow, big jump in price from regular to pro.. from 69 to 300+! On the site it says that this is an algorithmic reverb, but then in the Pro version it gets into compulsion verb. Is that one of the additions to the Pro ver? Compulsion verb? How is it on DSP? Reg and pro (assume pro is way more of a drain).
Old 19th May 2017
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

What about the Fabfilter verb? All their plugs look amazing to me. Haven't demoed any yet as their complexity is intimidating to someone at my level, but ya gotta start somewhere. I heard a couple clips of it compared to one of the big name lexicon models, 480 maybe? I thought the Fabfilter sounded way cooler.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Wow, big jump in price from regular to pro.. from 69 to 300+! On the site it says that this is an algorithmic reverb, but then in the Pro version it gets into compulsion verb. Is that one of the additions to the Pro ver? Compulsion verb? How is it on DSP? Reg and pro (assume pro is way more of a drain).
The pro does use more cpu and I think that does affect the quality of the sound. It also offers more options to tweak and more presets taken from the hardware. CPU is lower than stuff like H-Reverb and Abbey Road Plates but not extremely low on the pro. The low cpu mode on the pro sounds more like the regular version. There's been I think 2 or 3 people, including one tv and movie composer, who claim the Pro version sounds identical to the same presets on their hardware. Then there's one forum poster who posted files and says those people are wrong. That's about all I've found in terms of info from people who have tested SH Pro against the hardware. Best just to try it out and not take the word of anyone else above that.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
The pro does use more cpu and I think that does affect the quality of the sound. It also offers more options to tweak and more presets taken from the hardware. CPU is lower than stuff like H-Reverb and Abbey Road Plates but not extremely low on the pro. The low cpu mode on the pro sounds more like the regular version. There's been I think 2 or 3 people, including one tv and movie composer, who claim the Pro version sounds identical to the same presets on their hardware. Then there's one forum poster who posted files and says those people are wrong. That's about all I've found in terms of info from people who have tested SH Pro against the hardware. Best just to try it out and not take the word of anyone else above that.
So when u mentioned the other thread and the guy switching the verbs, was he using the regular or pro version? I assume the regular still sounds great tho, no?
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Maniac
I'm pretty sure everyone was comparing both versions against the hardware and the regular version is still great enough to where people have preferred it over the Relab480 as I mentioned above. The regular version is missing the V2 presets that the Pro has. These are the presets with the modulated tails.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Maniac

You're not getting any boost in sound quality on like-for-like presets on Seventh Heaven vs Seventh Heaven Professional, but with the pro there are more lots more features that you can use to achieve the workflow of an algorithmic reverb and far more presets. They're both convolution based, but Fusion-IR convolution rather than the static convolution most people used back in the day of the original convolution reverbs which sounds way way better. I can't think of many situations where the closest you can get in software to an M7 would be unsuitable.

If a subscription model is a potential you would be able to bring Slate Digital VerbSuite Classics into your indicated price range as that also has Fusion-IR tech inside it, and a wide variety of classics reverbs so would be a great choice if you're not wanting to lock down to the sound of a single reverb. The versatility of this one is fantastic.

You've got some great suggestions here for other reverbs that I have less of a vested interest in seeing succeed of course! I'd certainly be considering a couple of the Valhalla reverbs in your situation (personally I like the plate and vintage the best but that's just me), Pro-R I find really fun and pretty versatile and of course Relab 480 is an absolute classic.

I'd suggest drawing up a short list and checking out the demos, you'll learn a lot from that about what suits you, your workflow and your music the best and make your decision from there.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Maniac

VVV is really nice. Also the only vst I ever bought (use ableton and free plugins). Usually I use a room and a hall reverb, sometimes a third
Old 19th May 2017
+1 for VVV but I'd like to try 7th Heaven. Honestly VVV has so much in it, I'm just trying to master it before I look for something I feel I need further. Not very slutty!....
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Fantastic plate reverb that is still a great contender. Since you already have UAD I would demo other reverb's available on UAD especially the Lexicon reverb.

Quote:
I was reading that the ValhallaDSP reverbs are good, and only $50/ea.

Thanks,
-Adam
Great reverb's to have at a great price. Other than that I would demo Relab's VSR-S24 and the new Liquidsonics reverb. Good luck.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

You may want to add a convolution reverb to your tool box. They can consume a fair amount of CPU Resources but it can be well worth it.

You can find all kinds of impulses for them. The one site Signaltonoise has impulse packs for a bunch of the best reverb units. Not sure if the site still offers them free or if they are donation ware now but you can check. Impulse Sets – signaltonoize.com

3000 Reverberation Impulse Response Pack
Lexicon 480L Impulse set
Lexicon M200 Impulse set.
Lexicon M300 Impulse sets.
Lexicon PCM 90 Impulse Set
M5000 Impulse set.
PCM 70 Version 2 Impulse Set.
PCM 70 Version 3 Impulse Set.
Quantec QRS/XL Impulse set.
SPX990 Impulse Pack
The Reverb 6000 Music Pack
True M7 – Impulse Pack

This will give you around a thousand different reverb types, and you can download many others for free. You just need the plugin to run them. I've been using the one that comes with Sonar. Its versatile as can be. I know Voxengo makes one and there's a free one called SIR. Pro tools may even have one, I'm not sure. You'll have to look. Don't rule out some of the free reverb plugins on KVR either. There are a few there which are actually very good.

There is one I love for guitars called Abstract Chamber here. VST 4 FREE - Reverb Plug-ins
Epic Verb is as good as any boutique reverb I've used. Plenty or adjustable parameters too. VST 4 FREE - Reverb Plug-ins
Flash Verb is good on drums and vocals and Mutant is good for guitar with the right settings. VST 4 FREE - Reverb Plug-ins
Old school Verb is excellent for getting spring reverb sounds. VST 4 FREE - Reverb Plug-ins

Safe Reverb is good on a Drum Buss, This page also has Sanford and Sir VST 4 FREE - Reverb Plug-ins
UD is cool on sustained leads for the big arena sound. VST 4 FREE - Reverb Plug-ins

There are likely others there too. I have a fairly big collection and no none reverb plugin can do the whole job. Each can get you a different room tone and unique reflection and its hard to know what might be just right for any particular song. If one doesn't do the job its good to have others. They don't always have to be pristine sounding either. Many times you actually want something that isn't so clean to develop a contrast against something that is.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Do try Valhalla Room. My two fave verbs at this moment are Valhalla Room and Seventh Heaven Pro.
Old 19th May 2017
Here for the gear

Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought the same thing about the price difference, but after living with the demo of both for a week or two, I purchased the Pro version. I already own VerbSuite Classics, but there's very little tweakability with that product unfortunately. If you are content to only use the supplied presets, it's pretty good. The regular and Pro versions of Seventh Heaven sound the same and use the same CPU (if comparing the same presets). The Pro does have a low CPU mode which allows reduced CPU at the expense of additional latency. Both modes sounded the same when I compared them.

I don't generally like convolution but Seventh Heaven Pro is a different animal. You can adjust early/late balance, change the early reflection pattern (about 30 different ones), and also adjust the level of the low-frequency reverb. Each preset was sampled at 11 different decay lengths, so it's more accurate to the HW than just stretching the IR (the only option in VerbSuite AFAIK). It's very much like using an algorithmic 'verb. I still use Exponential Audio Nimbus and R4 for most algorithmic duties.

Definitely agree with Valhalla Vintage Verb and LX480. Can't go wrong with either of those.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Nut

I just bought Eventides Tverb for 81 USD at Everyplugin. Its such a versatile and phantastic reverb. Also you can make really creative stuff with the gates and compressor. It needs a bit time to get into it, but its worth it. The presets are very good. The sale goes till sun, and next week is the Stereo Room 2016 on sale at Eventide, probably a bit cheaper than the Tverb. I really love their reverbs, and got also UltraReverb and the stereo room 2016. Lexicon PCM is my favourite too. Relab is also phantastic with 480L and the new VSR24. TC Electronics got the VSS3 as a plugin since some month. Also an absolute great plugin. Its not a bad thing to give the brands a try who do that stuff since decades. Never get warm with Valhalla, because in my opinion, I hear too much reverb rather than a melting thing with the original signal.
Old 19th May 2017
Here for the gear

I really like ValhallaRoom
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabygab View Post
I really like ValhallaRoom
So do I but I think Valhalla Vintageverb is a better value because you get pretty much the same room/plate algo's plus the lush hall algo's as well.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Great reverb's to have at a great price. Other than that I would demo Relab's VSR-S24 and the new Liquidsonics reverb. Good luck.
Which is the "new" Liquidsonics verb?
---

Are those Signaltonoise bundles for the Nebula? I tried downloading the N4 demo, NebulaFree, but I can't get the damn thing to work. They offer two program library bundles as a two week trial, but every program I load into the N4 doesn't work properly. The parameters don't come up, just a "--" label for each fader.. and when I bring up any fader it pops right back to 0. They have the worst customer support ever, so I've been trying to figure out what's wrong via their user forum, but it's been 3+ weeks w/ no solution. So those two trial bundles have long since expired. I've heard so many amazing things about the N4 that I'd be willing to drop the two hundo, but I atleast wanna demo it first. It's been driving me off the wall.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
I don't generally like convolution but Seventh Heaven Pro is a different animal. You can adjust early/late balance, change the early reflection pattern (about 30 different ones), and also adjust the level of the low-frequency reverb. Each preset was sampled at 11 different decay lengths, so it's more accurate to the HW than just stretching the IR (the only option in VerbSuite AFAIK). It's very much like using an algorithmic 'verb. I still use Exponential Audio Nimbus and R4 for most algorithmic duties.
Are all those setting adjustments you mentioned just available with the Pro version? I definitely don't have $300+ to drop on a single plugin, and it's starting to seem like all the features that make it cool only come w/ the Pro version. Is that accurate?
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Are all those setting adjustments you mentioned just available with the Pro version? I definitely don't have $300+ to drop on a single plugin, and it's starting to seem like all the features that make it cool only come w/ the Pro version. Is that accurate?
In the regular you've got access to the 0.2-30 second multi-sampled decays for the really flexible and realistic control of reverb time which is one of the stand-out new feature of the Seventh Heaven line, along with the separately sampled and reproduced low/early/late reverbs with full control over the balance of them, and the very natural pre-delay behaviour which convolution wouldn't usually be able to do in a single sample since the different reverb components behave differently to predelay manipulation. None of those have been tackled before in any other convolution plugin and they're all available in the lower priced version.

The pro gets access to the full set of presets, early reflection control, frequency dependent decay times, full delay control, better metering and the multi-sampled roll-offs so you can brighten and darken the reverbs just like you'd be able to on the hardware but never could with a regular sample. The early reflection selection and roll-off control are two features I'm especially proud of and really elevate it into a super flexible reverb design tool.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Addict

My vote goes to Valhalla. They're all really good!
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Advice from a Reverb Slut:
Create a track/clip of something you are working on that you want reverb on.
Download demos - there are lots . . . many already mentioned here. I'd add the contributions by Exponential Audio.
Then put each plugin on your audio track. Try a few presets. Stop the audio abruptly at certain loud points and listen to the tail.
The fewer variables you have, the better you will be able to judge.
These are the glory days of ITB reverb. Almost any of the reputable ones will give you great results!
Have Fun!

P.S. I personally would avoid Impulse Response verbs. Don't be fooled that you will have anything close to the Bricasti by using IRs of an M7, no matter who makes them. It's a whole different process than algos. The best ITB algorithmic reverbs today are nearly indistinguishable from digital hardware, Lexicon, TC, etc.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Advice from a Reverb Slut:
Create a track/clip of something you are working on that you want reverb on.
Download demos - there are lots . . . many already mentioned here. I'd add the contributions by Exponential Audio.
Then put each plugin on your audio track. Try a few presets. Stop the audio abruptly at certain loud points and listen to the tail.
The fewer variables you have, the better you will be able to judge.
These are the glory days of ITB reverb. Almost any of the reputable ones will give you great results!
Have Fun!
That was my plan. I have a session (for a demo in progress) that's just drum and guitar so far. I'm gonna download like 7-8 verb demos and try each one on the drums, guitar and master track.. Then once I've heard the verbs, I can figure out which I like for what. I'll probably just end up throwing bass and vocals in to get a full understanding of which verbs sound best, in general or specific instruments.

Is inserting a time based fx on an AUX channel the standard way to apply said fx? Or is that just to save DSP and/or to have more flexibility on the placement of the fx?
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, I've been looking into Reverb plugins. Right now I have the ones that came with PT:

-AIRNon-LinearReverb
-AIRReverb
-AIRSpringReverb
-Black Spring
-DVerb
-Studio Reverb

How many different reverb plugins do you guys use on a given mix, in general?

I'm looking for some suggestions on Reverb plugins, based on what I'd need most vs what I already have. I don't have alot of cash to drop, so definitely reverbs that are under $100.
I was reading that the ValhallaDSP reverbs are good, and only $50/ea. Also, Waves H-Reverb is on sale for $49.

Thanks,
-Adam
Those AIR plugins are quite good and will compete well with anything out there.

In addition to these, PT's "Revibe" and "Reverb One" are good. Altiverb is a killer (to your cpu, as well). All these are out of your price range.

One thing's for certain, it's no longer necessary to depend on hardware for great verb, and that's a great thing!

I'd suggest really digging into the plugins you've got before looking for something else, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search