The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Varispeed question, maybe Logic specific
Old 18th May 2017
Here for the gear
Varispeed question, maybe Logic specific

Hey guys and girls! Let me know if I'm posting this in the right topic.

My question is about digital varispeed. I record my own band, and I use tape (Tascam 388 at home). It's great to be able to pitch up or down a whole song at the tape level. I love the different feels you can achieve this way, and I keep reading more and more of my heroes mentioning that they've used similar tricks!

So here's my question: When I'm in Logic, there's a global varispeed option. Awesome! ..right? I worry because the documentation mentions its usage for "auditioning" different song tempos, but doesn't seem to recommend its use on a final bounce. (It also doesn't explicitly say you can't.. and it is possible to bounce with it on)

My understanding of digital audio is that if you're changing time and pitch simultaneously, you won't have digital artifacts (should be the same as changing the speed on the tape machine). But are there other considerations to keep in mind? How does sample rate play into the use of varispeed, for example? Should I record at 96 in the future if I want to safely do this, or will upsampling help me (my guess is probably not, the same way you can't make a picture larger in photoshop by stretching it 200%)?

I wonder too if there are other considerations I'm missing. Maybe Logic's flavor of varispeed causes phase problems or plugin issues. I guess I'm looking for someone with more knowledge of digital audio to yell at me and tell me to stop, or something.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search