The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMD Ryzan vs Intel... The gist Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

AMD Ryzan vs Intel... The gist

After the dust has settled ....

What's your real world experience with the AMD 1700 and 1800 processors for audio production?

Does it live up to the hype?

Any issues (compatibility, drivers, plugs, Daws...)? Does it run smoothly? Any overlooking issues? Which main board do you use?

Thanks a lot!
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Maniac

well Intel has just announced its i9 range of processors. The AMD chipset doesn't support thunderbolt.
Old 15th May 2017
I have no experience myself on this, but there was someone in the forum that said he was using Ryzan AMD's, and were working very well for a DAW.

You may be interested in reading this thread ...
Wow ryzen! 380 bucks for 6900k performance

My single core AMD @1.6 Ghz CPU worked well for my DAW years ago...granted my quad core Intel @2.5 Ghz per core, it was snappier when loaded up. I'm sure these latest AMD's work great in the real world, in spite of unrealistic test scenario's that may be done to them. If a sporty car can outrace a passenger car, but you're just driving from point A to point B, will you really notice any difference?

The things I would be asking myself, are things that count, like the above mentioned lack of Thunderbolt support, and whatever else I may or may not need, otherwise I'd choose value.
Old 15th May 2017
Here for the gear

The dust has yet to settle: new BIOS firmwares are still being released every few weeks for Ryzen, improving RAM compatibility and speeds. Until the RAM issues are addressed the platform is a bit hobbled for low latency usage.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks!

Thought it might be helpful for a lot of folks to have a thread with the nuts and bolts comprised.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search