The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why would anyone NOT buy the Apollo Twin MKII? Audio Interfaces
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Manufacturers going from PCI to USB interfaces really was a step back wasn't it?
In that particular aspect, yes. But they had to face a reality in which there would be no more Mac machines with PCI slots, so what choice did they have? Just really aggravating, is all.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In that particular aspect, yes. But they had to face a reality in which there would be no more Mac machines with PCI slots, so what choice did they have? Just really aggravating, is all.
Apple sucks for doing that. Firewire, optical drives, headphone jack. All done away with because "reasons". Proprietary lightning cable instead of USB.
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
i think you are confusing bandwith with latency.
No, ppl here are confusing 2001 with 2017. Or 2018 for that matter.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB View Post
No, ppl here are confusing 2001 with 2017. Or 2018 for that matter.
No he's right.
Year doesn't matter, but technical principles does.
Small analogy.. say you can drive your normal car at empty two-lane or ten-lane motorway, does that count of lanes there affect your top speed? What do you think?

Michal
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I'm PC so I don't know anything about thunderbolt, but I see that as an upgraded USB for mac.
TB isn't "upgraded USB", it's PCIe over a wire. IMO, TB is where it's at for audio. With MADI, you still need an interface (PCIe). TB eliminates the need for a card inside the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Apple sucks for doing that. Firewire, optical drives, headphone jack. All done away with because "reasons". Proprietary lightning cable instead of USB.
I have a TB hub that supplies USB, FW, Ethernet, HDMI and audio i/o. I also have a TB chassis with 3 PCIe slots. You have options with a Mac, as long as you think modular.
Old 8th August 2017
Here for the gear

I would buy second hand mk1 with plugins and send it to Black Lions to pimp it up.
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

i bought an apollo twin MK2 and its hooked up via thunderbolt to my apollo 8 Mk2. When I turn the apollo twin pre all the way up there is a lot of hiss. It starts at around 45. but when I do the same with the apollo 8, theres absolutely no noise. Why is there so much hissing on the apollo twin and none with the apollo 8
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
i bought an apollo twin MK2 and its hooked up via thunderbolt to my apollo 8 Mk2. When I turn the apollo twin pre all the way up there is a lot of hiss. It starts at around 45. but when I do the same with the apollo 8, theres absolutely no noise. Why is there so much hissing on the apollo twin and none with the apollo 8
Are both units set to the same I/O reference levels in Console settings?
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Are both units set to the same I/O reference levels in Console settings?
everything is +4, do I need to unconnected it from the apollo 8 to change the ref level, i don't see that option on the TWIN. either way i changed the reference level on the apollo 8 and no noise like on the twin. Is this normal?

reading posts online it seems that this is an issue with the twin. I have no cables connected to it, but hissing starts at 45db and worsens, there is zero hiss on the apollo 8 even all the way with or without cables plugged in. This hardware is def. unusable with dynamic mics. tested both apollo 8 and the twin the twin is unacceptable. period.

Last edited by IkennaFuNkEn; 11th March 2018 at 10:03 PM..
Old 11th March 2018
Quote:
everything is +4, do I need to unconnected it from the apollo 8 to change the ref level, i don't see that option on the TWIN. either way i changed the reference level on the apollo 8 and no noise like on the twin. Is this normal?

reading posts online it seems that this is an issue with the twin. I have no cables connected to it, but hissing starts at 45db and worsens, there is zero hiss on the apollo 8 even all the way with or without cables plugged in. This hardware is def. unusable with dynamic mics. tested both apollo 8 and the twin the twin is unacceptable. period.
You’d probably be better off posting on the dedicated UAD forum.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
You’d probably be better off posting on the dedicated UAD forum.
True. No use, others have the problem and the responses just stop. It has to be something I’m missing somewhere. I switched the thunderbolt cables same thing. It even happens with line. Not that I’d ever need to go that high but a good noise floor is reassuring. Maybe the specs are different with the inputs. I read they were suppose to be the same
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

They should be the same. The circuit is basic. Actually, the Apollo 8's preamp is unusably noisy at the top-end of its gain.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It has to be something I’m missing somewhere. I switched the thunderbolt cables same thing. It even happens with line. Not that I’d ever need to go that high but a good noise floor is reassuring. Maybe the specs are different with the inputs. I read they were suppose to be the same
You are using TRS inputs for line in? I believe XLR connection are mic level only.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are using TRS inputs for line in? I believe XLR connection are mic level only.
XLR on my apollo 8. No cables are connected to the twin.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
XLR on my apollo 8. No cables are connected to the twin.
Apollo 8 XLR inputs are for mic preamp inputs. You need to use TRS to use line level input.

Still not sure what you are comparing if you aren't connection anything to the Twin. But regardless, if you are sending line level into the XLR preamps, you're going to get more noise then sending to the TRS line inputs.

There are settings for reference levels in the Consoles Settings overview. It's in the UAD pulldown menu.

I use an Apollo 16 MKII and Apollo 8p, as well as the older silver Twin and have never noticed excessive noise from the Twin over the rack units, either at the line level out or the headphone out.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apollo 8 XLR inputs are for mic preamp inputs. You need to use TRS to use line level input.

Still not sure what you are comparing if you aren't connection anything to the Twin. But regardless, if you are sending line level into the XLR preamps, you're going to get more noise then sending to the TRS line inputs.

There are settings for reference levels in the Consoles Settings overview. It's in the UAD pulldown menu.

I use an Apollo 16 MKII and Apollo 8p, as well as the older silver Twin and have never noticed excessive noise from the Twin over the rack units, either at the line level out or the headphone out.
Forget about the cables. If I turn up the Apollo 8 to 45db with nothing attach, there is no self noise, but there is on the twin. Does that make sense? I’m comparing the twin with the Apollo 8. Really the hiss stars in the late 30s
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forget about the cables. If I turn up the Apollo 8 to 45db with nothing attach, there is no self noise, but there is on the twin. Does that make sense? I’m comparing the twin with the Apollo 8. Really the hiss stars in the late 30s
Are you talking about seeing it on the meters? What are you turning up? Input channel? Monitor out? Headphone monitor? In UAD Console or in your DAW?

There is some complex internal routing going on when Console controls multiple devices. The master device handles the AUX and Monitor routing. Not really sure what it is exactly you are doing, or how you are trying to integrate the Twin with the A8. Give as much detail as you can and I will try to help.

EDIT: Is it possible you have a plugin active on one of the Twin's console channels that can be causing noise?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you talking about seeing it on the meters? What are you turning up? Input channel? Monitor out? Headphone monitor? In UAD Console or in your DAW?

There is some complex internal routing going on when Console controls multiple devices. The master device handles the AUX and Monitor routing. Not really sure what it is exactly you are doing, or how you are trying to integrate the Twin with the A8. Give as much detail as you can and I will try to help.

EDIT: Is it possible you have a plugin active on one of the Twin's console channels that can be causing noise?
there is no plugin. You simply take a TB cable and plug it in the back of the apollo8. Turing up the pre. how else would I get to 40db gain on the preamp? I can hear, and see the hiss. I’m just comparing with both units. It’s looking like there’s not much to it other than one unit is just noisier than he other
Old 13th March 2018
My Twin is dead silent so you probably have a faulty unit or a power issue.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah sounds like it. I’m hesitant to send it in and have them tell me they found no fault. Everything is relatively quiet here except the twin. @Reverb can you take off your input cables and crank the pre, and line. tell me when your hiss kicks in.

this is exactly what I’m experiencing with nothing plugged in, different surge protector, etc. mind is. Tad worse because I can see it on the Apollo meter. again, cranking the Apollo8 is dead silent, just to make sure that channel was working I Plugged in a cable, still no noise and my recording was clean. I’ll call them today and see what can be done, not really trying to wait a month lol

Last edited by IkennaFuNkEn; 13th March 2018 at 05:41 PM..
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Switched out the thunderbolt cable, and it got exponentially better. Still not as good as the 8 but def more manageable
Old 15th March 2018
Here for the gear

UAD a good score!

Hi there,

New to the threads and wanted to share my input in regards to UAD.

I purchased the Apollo Twin (silver) about two years ago, and it was a fantastic start in creating my guitar and bass ideas and tracking.

They have great tutorials how to install, manage and use the software correctly. Their support staff is not too shabby as well!

I have now expanded to two Apollo 8p and got a free UAD accelerator. Thier plugins are amazing and top-notch as well. It's a win-win for me all the way.
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Maniac

It's hard to tell if a UA sharc refresh is coming especially with the arrow release using the same tech. Maybe patience is the key here? Being impatient I recently got a twin & satellite for tracking since I have tons of native stuff for mixing. I decided to purchase used & got decent deals. IF you can spend over 1000 you most likely can find a used Twin Quad with a bunch of plugins to transfer.

Best of luck.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
It's hard to tell if a UA sharc refresh is coming especially with the arrow release using the same tech. Maybe patience is the key here? Being impatient I recently got a twin & satellite for tracking since I have tons of native stuff for mixing. I decided to purchase used & got decent deals. IF you can spend over 1000 you most likely can find a used Twin Quad with a bunch of plugins to transfer.

Best of luck.
Can’t track with the satellite, just the interfaces.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

I love the Twin MKII. I just use preamp emulations and compressors for tracking, and do not use UAD in the mix (causing latency)

works perfectly! just because you have the twin doesn't mean you have to mix with UAD. To be able to tarck with them alone is cool as hell! Get the solo and don't worry about buying lots of UAD plugins.

10 years ago people would KILL for just a preamp with a few emulations built in (that wasnt 3 grand like liquidpre) - this is that times 10 with actual licensed plugins..

There is ABSOLUTELY no other box that is as good for the price, or offers as many features (TALKBACK!)

Plus, it's very sexy looking and very professional - not so for cheap looking Focusrite and RME has HORRIBLE mix software.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tks900 View Post
What is it then? The missing MIDI-connector? Can't I plug in a MIDI keyboard directly into the Computer? Or what is it? Thanks very much for your help and opinions.
The terrible console + the mediocre latency outside of that (I'm speaking of my experience when I owned an Apollo silverface).

The fact I can have latency-free tracking with my Apogee Element + Logic and not be forced to use something like UA Console. And track with whatever plugin I want, not just a UA plugin.

The advent of FPGA for interfaces from Antelope and Apogee.

Comparing many of UA's MkII plugins to Acqua or Nebula libraries from Acustica Audio and Acquas have gotten the nod every time. And in a few cases it wasn't close.

Pricing -- I see both sides. I get the complaint that they are too expensive, and I see the argument that nobody ever pays full price. I never paid full price for a UA plugin. But the fact that I really wanted a plugin and had to wait because they were overpriced? Oh, hey, great... this month it's an equalizer sale and that's NOT what I need. Fantastic. Maybe I can wait 6 months until black friday for this obscenely overpriced $299 plugin to be reduced closer to a price point it should be sitting at anyway.

$249 for the Trident eq? Lol.

Yeah, I'm done with the Pavlovian behavior of waiting like a good user for a sale price to use a plugin in a Console that I think sucks.

I love UA. I do. I don't think they're "dongles", and I think UA should get major kudos for getting affordable hardware out there for home enthusiasts that's arguably in the same ballpark as Apogee, RME, Prism, Lynx, Metric Halo, etc.

And since I've left UA they've doubled down on releasing some great amps. Can't say that I don't wish I had those, but Logic's amps do well enough.

I love and still miss my UA Lexicon and EP-34 plugins. Had so much fun cutting my teeth and learning with some very, very good plugins.

If UA does some interesting FPGA stuff/upgrades SHARC and creates a MkIII line that blows everyone away, then yes, I'll buy a new 'dongle' and get back in the line and wait for those random sales.

For now, I just don't see a compelling reason to go with a Twin with stuff like Airwindows, Acqua, Nebula and House of Kush. With so many native options, it doesn't make sense to get tied to a sharc-based interface.

UA would have to really improve their plugins, or drastically reduce their prices. The price reduction is not going to happen, and who knows if we see something radical at NAMM.

I think FPGA is a good start to lighting a fire under UA's @ss and getting some competition and innovation going. Exciting stuff.

Bottom line -- the Twin is an awesome little box. The UA ecosystem will in no way impede us from recording a GREAT sounding song. There are better options out there for me (for now).
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
just because you have the twin doesn't mean you have to mix with UAD. To be able to tarck with them alone is cool as hell!
Agreed! I actually wish UA would give us the option to dedicate Apollo DSP to Console because I use it that way so much now and juggling DSP between tracking and mixing can be problematic.

Quote:
10 years ago people would KILL for just a preamp with a few emulations built in (that wasnt 3 grand like liquidpre) - this is that times 10 with actual licensed plugins..
In fairness, the LiquidPre was a substantial device that changed the actual circuit on top of the dynamic convolution. It wouldn't surprise me if the LiquidPre is still a more accurate preamp emulator than some Unison preamps, although the newer ones like the Helios MK2 and SSL MK2 are KILLER.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post

In fairness, the LiquidPre was a substantial device that changed the actual circuit on top of the dynamic convolution.
The Apollo does exactly the same thing, adjusts impedance on the mic pre and DI inputs.

Here is a quote about the Liquid Channel:

"when the user dials up a preamp Replica the convolution processing takes care of the preamp's own sonic characteristics — the effects of discrete solid-state circuitry, valves, op amps, and so on — while the configurable hardware ensures that the microphone 'sees' exactly the same input impedance and properties as if it were connected to the actual product being simulated."

Quote:
Agreed! I actually wish UA would give us the option to dedicate Apollo DSP to Console because I use it that way so much now and juggling DSP between tracking and mixing can be problematic.
It would create latency and wouldn't work as intended. EDIT* I get what you are saying now. Yea, that makes sense.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
The terrible console + the mediocre latency outside of that (I'm speaking of my experience when I owned an Apollo silverface).
Yes, the console needs a matrix, it is just too limited the way it is.

Quote:
The fact I can have latency-free tracking with my Apogee Element + Logic and not be forced to use something like UA Console. And track with whatever plugin I want, not just a UA plugin.
Well, being able to track with UA plugins is the benefit of Console.

Quote:
The advent of FPGA for interfaces from Antelope and Apogee.
Don't most people still consider UA plugins to be better? I personally don't know as I haven't tried the Antelope plugins.

Quote:
Comparing many of UA's MkII plugins to Acqua or Nebula libraries from Acustica Audio and Acquas have gotten the nod every time. And in a few cases it wasn't close.
I would agree that many UA plugins are ancient by this point and do not hold up against native plugins. I would also agree that Acustica is doing some astoundingly good stuff these days. I'll just say that the newer MK2 plugins are exceptionally good, such as the Fairchild MK2, Pultec MK2, Helios, MK2, SSL Channel Strip MK2, etc.

Quote:
Pricing -- I see both sides. I get the complaint that they are too expensive, and I see the argument that nobody ever pays full price. I never paid full price for a UA plugin. But the fact that I really wanted a plugin and had to wait because they were overpriced? Oh, hey, great... this month it's an equalizer sale and that's NOT what I need. Fantastic. Maybe I can wait 6 months until black friday for this obscenely overpriced $299 plugin to be reduced closer to a price point it should be sitting at anyway.
It hasn't affected me personally. For example, they gave Helios owners a nice upgrade discount to MK2 along with a monthly coupon and a survey coupon, so my end price at the moment of release was probably around the same as the Black Friday price. Also, they just started their half yearly sale with prices pretty close to the Black Friday prices.

Quote:
$249 for the Trident eq? Lol.
hehe, agreed, that's BS. Older sub par plugins like that should be in the $50 range...SERIOUSLY!!!

Quote:
I love and still miss my UA Lexicon and EP-34 plugins.
Agreed, these are must-haves. An Apollo Twin Solo is as cheap as any other interface on the used market and would be worth owning just for running the Lexicon alone.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't most people still consider UA plugins to be better? I personally don't know as I haven't tried the Antelope plugins.
This is a great point, and I haven't tried the Antelopes either. Also -- even fans of the Antelope FPGA plugins MOAN about the way they were implemented. So the grass isn't always greener.

Here's hoping that Apogee's approach will be more seamless.

Also, free shout out/kudos for Eric's excellent customer service and pricing -- this guy is top notch. I bought my Apollo and UAD Solo PCMCIA card from Eric back in 2013 (geeze I'm getting old!).

And no, Eric didn't pay me to say this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search