The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your current opinion of the waves API bundle?
Old 8th May 2017
Your current opinion of the waves API bundle?

So like the topic says, what do you think of the waves API bundle vs today plugins not including UAD.

I'm asking because I can grab it for $100

I just want to of it's worth it to buy now. I basically only want the 2500 but I've used it in the past and I'm not 100% sold on it as a 2500 compressor for sound. It has the features but not that punch.well
It has punch but I remember it cutting a lot of low end out of my material in some cases and making it sound thin and punchy.

I still want a 2500 anyway.
Also what about the eq's?? Poop or not bad? Can I do better?
Old 8th May 2017
You can demo Waves plug ins to see if you like them. I think it is a good sounding bundle that adds some umph. In the ballpark of the hardware but of course not the same. For that price you can't go wrong.
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Guru

$100 is a great price for a really useful and cool sounding bundle.
Old 8th May 2017
Here for the gear

Having used the 2500 and api 550 I can say these are good as plugins go.

Are they anything close to the hardware? No.

Do they add the characteristic transient smack and upfront/punch that API gear does?

Yes, just about as well as I could hope for a plugin to do.

I think Waves did a good job here, but obviously I prefer the real deal. The plugins alone are worth it if you use a lot of digital stuff, IMO.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

The waves 2500 is not very good imho - had the hardware and it's a completely different thing
Old 8th May 2017
I have the bundle. I think I paid $250. Not worth even $100 imo.
Old 9th May 2017
Alright I value all your opinions and thanks a lot. Seems like I'll be staying away from this "deal". From demoing them in the past and not feeling like they had anything I liked but I felt maybe I was using them on the wrong material.

So thanks a bunch
Old 9th May 2017
Depends on what you need. 2500 is a good compressor for a plug-in. The EQs give you the API curves, that might help you with shaping your drum sound rather easily.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

I personally never had any use for the API bundle. It just didn't do anything special for me. The compressor was ok, but the EQs were pretty limited.

The Waves SSL bundle, however, has been on every project since I got it however-many years ago.
Old 9th May 2017
Deleted User
IMO, the Waves, UAD and Liquid Mix 550s are pretty much interchangeable, and very good. I haven't tried the Kush offering, but it's probably at least as nice. As for the 2500, UAD is the one to beat. When you start to push that one, it's a thing of beauty. That's where it leaves the Waves behind. At modest settings, they're hard to tell apart.
Old 9th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
IMO, the Waves, UAD and Liquid Mix 550s are pretty much interchangeable, and very good. I haven't tried the Kush offering, but it's probably at least as nice. As for the 2500, UAD is the one to beat. When you start to push that one, it's a thing of beauty. That's where it leaves the Waves behind. At modest settings, they're hard to tell apart.
I know UAD always comes up but I really don't want to buy any more gear now to be honest. I just want a good 2500. If I'm gonna go UAD then I'll just by a real 2500 because I have great plugins and don't need to start again.
Old 9th May 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit54 View Post
Quote:
I know UAD always comes up but I really don't want to buy any more gear now to be honest. I just want a good 2500. If I'm gonna go UAD then I'll just by a real 2500 because I have great plugins and don't need to start again.
Well. you asked for our opinions. I gave you mine. The EQs are good. You can do (much) better on the 2500. Since that's what you really want, I think you'll be disappointed. Frankly, the Liquid Mix 2500 beats the Waves model (IMO). I have them all. In any case, good luck in your deliberations.
Old 10th May 2017
Quote:
Well. you asked for our opinions. I gave you mine. The EQs are good. You can do (much) better on the 2500. Since that's what you really want, I think you'll be disappointed. Frankly, the Liquid Mix 2500 beats the Waves model (IMO). I have them all. In any case, good luck in your deliberations.
I value your opinion and thank you.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

I bought it a few years back and let's say it was not good. Could never get it to act any where near like my hardware. Did not sound good. I think some people who say a plug in sounds good never used the real thing. Not saying their opinion is invalid but when you are comparing to the real thing you start to notice more flaws. Wanted to me haven't produced much I thought was worth spending money on recently. But IMO much better options.
Old 10th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I bought it a few years back and let's say it was not good. Could never get it to act any where near like my hardware. Did not sound good. I think some people who say a plug in sounds good never used the real thing. Not saying their opinion is invalid but when you are comparing to the real thing you start to notice more flaws. Wanted to me haven't produced much I thought was worth spending money on recently. But IMO much better options.
I have never used the real thing but when I used the 2500 plugin a few years back I was not impressed at all but I figured it was due to lack of experience and wrong materiel use.just wanted more seasoned guys to weigh in.
Man I really want a 2500 compressor but the hardware price is just out I reach for me right now.

I guess I'll try that nebula plugin, I think it's called pink?
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Addict

I would not spend any money on plugins which are more than 10 years old, only because they are based on great models like API . Its really old and muddy sounding, compared to the plugins now, even if they are not bad. So if you want to have something hardwarelike, grab the Soundtoys Sie-Q, which is much more transparent, but got this direct API-ness. For clean compression in a API2500 style, I would search for something other. Its another kind of compressor, but the Audified U73B would go soundwise in this API 2500 direction, or take TDR Kotelnikov, also Klanghelm MJUC as a substitute, perhaps Elysia Mpressor, which i dont know personally. There are much better options these days.
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Maniac
There are other threads where the Waves 2500 is often referred to as one of, if not the most successful Waves compressor plugin. Everyone has an opinion, and they are all valid as long as they aren't talking about gear they have not tried personally. I will say that I find the 2500 to be regularly useful to me on bass and drum bus. There isn't really anything I wouldn't at least try it on. I find it intuitive to use in the way that the hardware is. I mix primarily classic rock and country material with it. If I did not own it I would pick it up at the current sale price.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

^^^ Absolutely, you have to demo these things and make up your own mind, and seriously A/B things, try them on a range of material.

I used the Duende SSL for bus duties for years, because well apparently you have to, but vastly prefered the API 2500.

There is something good about nearly all of the waves stuff - if it fits with what you want your sound to be.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

I still find the Waves API 2500 quite useful. I did end up getting a hardware 2500 too, and it's phenomenal, but I don't the think Waves emulation is bad, at least not at lighter settings. Just this morning I used it on a mix, and saw no reason to send that track out of the box to the real 2500 (or any other hardware compressor). Sounded good to me.

I've done some A/B testing (very lightly and informally) against the UAD version, and I sometimes prefer the Waves. Both are good, and for me they're sometimes (just not always) good enough to stand in for the hardware.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
^^^ Absolutely, you have to demo these things and make up your own mind, and seriously A/B things, try them on a range of material.
Exactly! I never understand when people make decisions based on a handful of other people's opinions. No one here has even posted any material using the plugin. It's all opinion.

It's always best to demo the plugins (or any gear for that matter) yourself.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Yes I agree demo yourself. However, demo it against the real thing and you will see the difference. Now if waves were too code it today I'm sure they would do a much better job as technology has improved vastly since it's release. I'd pick up thier dbx emulation for some drum duties before the 2500. The only thing I really didn't like about the 2500 from waves was it was real clicky on transients in a non pleasing way. Never got that from the hardware. Now if you use it not expecting it to be a 2500 it will ldo just fine for you.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

The Waves 2500 was not even remotely close to my hardware. I found it unusable, even compared to something free like Tdr or Klanghelm.
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Addict
The 2500 is still a great-sounding, easy to use compressor that doesn't alias much at all and doesn't use a ton of cpu. In a video by mixbusstv on youtube, it seemed like his hardware was bigger and thicker sounding. Kinda like turning the HQ button on in MJUC. I think Stillwell Bombardier does what the Waves 2500 does and more while also being very cpu efficient.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

I have the Waves API 2500 and 560. I think I got the 560 for dirt cheap and only incase I ran out of UAD DSP, but I got an Octo satellite soon thereafter so I never even use it. It's a total joke compared to the UAD 560, which has serious mojo. The Waves 2500 just doesn't do much for me. I use and love the hardware for tracking at one room I use, but I neither like the Waves one for light compression on overheads or drum bus, or for smashing room mics or parallel compressing the drums. It's just really "meh" as a plugin.
Old 11th May 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
The Waves 2500 was not even remotely close to my hardware. I found it unusable, even compared to something free like Tdr or Klanghelm.
Which hardware would that be?
Old 11th May 2017
M2E
Lives for gear

First, I'd say demo yourself.

Second, I did a test here before, in fact 2 tests between the Hardware vs Waves API because 1 test is never enough and no one could tell the difference even when that someone added a SSL Sigma to the chain without saying they did until after the test was done and I was still able to match the settings to where they could not tell the difference and even thought mine sounded better.
Even at hard settings.

It's how you hit the plugin that's counts. This is key to all plugins.

Try hitting this plugin at around -11db to start with then go from there if you are trying to match the hardware. I noticed on both test that, hitting it around that gave great results and got it closest to the hardware.

Don't listen to the guys that say the plugin sounds no where near the hardware, that's gotten old and played out now.
Also, even if a plugin is 10 years old or more doesn't mean it's not good.
It's doesn't change it's sound like hardware. Hardware degrades over time.
Sure, newer plugins come out but, it doesn't mean their not as good.

Use your ears please.

Marc
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Great sounding then, still great sounding now.

The only thing with Waves doing a "faithful" model is that you can only adjust the eq in 2dB increments.

Would be nice to have a bit more flexibility there. Then again the original didn't do this because of its discrete design.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which hardware would that be?
The 2500.
Old 11th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
First, I'd say demo yourself.

Second, I did a test here before, in fact 2 tests between the Hardware vs Waves API because 1 test is never enough and no one could tell the difference even when that someone added a SSL Sigma to the chain without saying they did until after the test was done and I was still able to match the settings to where they could not tell the difference and even thought mine sounded better.
Even at hard settings.

It's how you hit the plugin that's counts. This is key to all plugins.

Try hitting this plugin at around -11db to start with then go from there if you are trying to match the hardware. I noticed on both test that, hitting it around that gave great results and got it closest to the hardware.

Don't listen to the guys that say the plugin sounds no where near the hardware, that's gotten old and played out now.
Also, even if a plugin is 10 years old or more doesn't mean it's not good.
It's doesn't change it's sound like hardware. Hardware degrades over time.
Sure, newer plugins come out but, it doesn't mean their not as good.

Use your ears please.

Marc
That's pretty much the issue here.i did demo them years ago and felt like "something's wrong with this thing it sounds like crap"(quoting myself lol)

Anyway,
I felt like maybe it's my fault and I didn't know what I was doing at the time??
I just wanted some up to date opinions about how it holds up today.
Either waves is still making some serious money from thier old plugins or MK2's are coming soon.
The fact of the Matter is that I DO want an API 2500 but not one that sounds worse.i can deal with not the same and not the same mojo but sounds bad is a deal breaker for me.
I found it sounded bad to my ears. Maybe another demo will do the trick? I guess I'll try that then.

Might not be soon but I'll def post back when I test it out again after so many years.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Waves don't make "MK2's" of their plugins.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search