The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Omnisphere 2 - Worth it? Anywhere to get it on sale?
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Omnisphere 2 - Worth it? Anywhere to get it on sale?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on Omnisphere 2. Is there anywhere to find it on sale? Is it worth the price? It's far more expensive than any of my other soft synths or samplers I own.

Looking for something to get great pads/atmospheres and textures mainly. Also interested in choirs, bell like sounds, etc.

I currently use Serum for modern synth design, and Diva and Ace for analog/traditional synths and modular sounds.
Old 8th May 2017
Here for the gear

I bought Omnisphere 2, Spire, Dune 2 and Pianoteq across a couple of months

the 2 that get used the most are Pianoteq and Omnisphere 2

Omnisphere 2 is so flexible, and I think the overall SQ is fantastic - pads, choirs, bell sounds all stock out of the base set of sounds are very good indeed - the layering is also very useful if you just want to sit down on the keyboard and play too - so you can layer across based on the position on the keyboard, or velocity etc etc - its all super intuitive

here are some pads and choir - please the basic nature of the track I've only started to dabble - the Piano is Pianoteq -all the rest stock Omnisphere 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vFSlhrAtQU

even though it was near twice the price of the others I bought I think its the best value
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Maniac

This is my opinion on Omni 2.

I bought it almost 3 years ago. I also have Serum, Massive, Tal-uno-lx, and Arturia v4 (with a few v5s)

so IMO Omni could take the roll of ALL of these other V synths I listed. It sounds so good, and has seemingly infinite possibilities. I really feel like there is nothing it can't do.

But... I find my self hardly using it. For me it's all about how quick and easy I can get the sound in my head into the session. And I find my self using most other synths I listed more than OMNI. I'm the kind of guy who needs something that sounds great with little effort, I don't have the time or luxury of scrolling through tens of thousands of sounds/pre-sets to get a single element for a track or a song. I'm extremely competent in synth programing, but OMNI is so vast I get lost in tweaking other than making music.

To answer the OP...YES it has really great if not, the best pads and bells. It also has some really huge, lush choir pre-sets, but if your looking for a professional choir library I would look elsewhere. OMNI is a synth more than a orchestral sampler.

Good luck!
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

How do omnisphere string patches compare to something like Spitfire Albion?
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
How do omnisphere string patches compare to something like Spitfire Albion?
They don't. OMNI isn't a string library, its a synth with some sampling capabilities.

Albion is a beautiful set of string samples that work in kontakt. I love Albion it sounds incredible.
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Head
Yes, it is awesome for pads/atmospheres and textures. Bells are also great and choirs are ok, but you can probably find better elsewhere. Well worth the money, and I generally don't even like soft synths. Also check out Keyscape for some cool keyboard patches. Not so great for piano in my book, but plenty of other useful and unique keyboard sounds.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Omnisphere is not in any way a plugin for traditional rompler sounds. It does not excel at strings, pianos, brass, voice etc etc. That's not what it is, and not what it's designed for.

What you're paying for is a vast collection of interesting sampled oscillator sources and a relatively deep synthesis engine with excellent built in FX, a good sequencer/arp and an extensive mod section. Oh, and thousands and thousands of excellent presets (if you ignore the tragic EDM additions in Omni 2).

Whether it's 'worth it' (I'll never understand that question ) is entirely up to the user.

I don't recall ever seeing it on sale.
Old 9th May 2017
Quote:
Looking for something to get great pads/atmospheres and textures mainly. Also interested in choirs, bell like sounds, etc.
Then Omnisphere wont disappoint. Also I think the VA section would compliment your current selection of synths very well.

If you'd like to hear some "real world" examples, here's a track where I used Omnisphere for every instrument https://clyp.it/qstpnvrb and another where I used Omnisphere for most of the sounds (intro mellotron, all the plucked/bell sounds, all pads and most of the bass synths) https://clyp.it/user/gfqktk00
Old 11th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69
Is there anywhere to find it on sale? Is it worth the price?
Unfortunately, Spectrasonics never has anything for sale! I've never seen a discounted price in my life. That said, Omnisphere is definetely worth it and it integrates seamlessly with both Trilian and Keyscape. There wasn't any looking back for me :wink:
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Most resellers have it for $479.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Omni 2 is my desert island synth if I could only have one, hardware or software.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Debating between picking up omnisphere or a prophet 08. Only have the budget for one right now. I know they're different animals but wondering if omnisphere can get similar sounds to the prophet?
Old 12th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Debating between picking up omnisphere or a prophet 08. Only have the budget for one right now. I know they're different animals but wondering if omnisphere can get similar sounds to the prophet?
I had a Prophet '08 back in 2010 and sold it because it didn't really sound much better than the software synths I had back then (ACE, DCAM, Sylenth1). The DCOs were nothing special and the filters were just anemic. Now days with Omnisphere 2, Diva, Spire etc. I really don't see any point whatsoever to owning one unless you find an insane deal that you just can't pass up.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Nut

Just want to shout out to the guys at Spectrasonics for helping me get a 10+ year old version of Omnisphere authorized and running on a 8 year old Mac. Took a few calls but it's up and running now! The service through the license transfer (bought v1 from a fellow gs specifically since v2 won't run on my older PowerBook) to tech support helping me get it authorized was great. Excellent customer service, and an incredible synth! Can't wait to get the new one too!
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

I personally think Omnisphere and an Integra are a dynamite combination.

Last edited by thenoodle; 1st February 2019 at 03:22 AM..
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

I second that.

FWIW, we hear a lot about bells, pads and whatnot, but I wouldn't underestimate Omni's ability when it comes to textures and its ability to "evolve" them. The granular engine, the heap of synthesis types and modulation possibilities on offer make it not just a monster, but the monster IMHO.

Much of the aforementioned functionality assists in creating excellent "analogue-sounding" patches too. Polysynths, "analogue" pads and monophonic leads are a breeze to create starting with the superb collection of synthesised (not sampled) oscillators as well as the filter collection.

Also, the RRP has to be viewed in light of the extensive back catalogue of samples Spectrasonics includes, all of which can be used as oscillator sources as well. Remember, Eric started the company back in the early '90s IIRC and AFAIK all the old sample CDs have found their way into the synth. I remember dreaming about buying many of them back then for my hardware samplers, and now we get them all.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

A great synth and perhaps "the" synth, no doubt. But $500 for a soft synth is ridiculous IMO. I don't care if it has 8 billion patches, 300 oscillators, and serves me breakfast. I can get most if not all of the sounds I want and it can produce elsewhere and for a lot less money (including free synths, there are a ton). If money is no object, sure go for it. But some of us need to watch our spending.

Also all the patches options etc are IMO TOO much. What good are 10,000 patches and a millions ways to tweak them when anyone with even a semblance of a life can't begin to check the majority of that all out to find what works best?
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Also all the patches options etc are IMO TOO much. What good are 10,000 patches and a millions ways to tweak them when anyone with even a semblance of a life can't begin to check the majority of that all out to find what works best?
That's what the comprehensive tagging and search engine are for, Bill.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Tags and/or a search engine can be helpful but still only give me a general idea. I still need to actually hear it to know if it's what I want.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Check out a video or two on it, mate; it's not what you might expect (definitely true in my case).

It's superb, and makes you wonder how we all got by without this sort of implementation.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Already did, but thx. I'm getting along without it just fine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search