The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elitebook 8470w upgrade to i7 3940xm Saturation Plugins
Old 1st May 2017
Here for the gear

Elitebook 8470w upgrade to i7 3940xm

Aloha.

This laptop officially supports up to an i7 3840qm cpu and I'm planning to max it out, currently it runs with an i7 3610qm and it's working great.
I'm a happy camper with this machine since 2012 and loving the fact that I have 1 sata ssd, 1 sata hdd and 1 msata ssd on a 14in lap around me at all times for on site recordings and a whole other bunch of stuff. Since I have it setup with windoze 10 and Linux and its performance is rock solid and either an 3840qm or maybe an 3940xm is on par performance-wise with a most modern 6700hq I don't see any serious reason to change my lap.

Now my question is if any of you had success installing an i7 3940xm on this particular lap. Theoretically it's possible and I found some scarce information in the intewebs about 2 or 3 persons successfully upgrading to this cpu (some of them on a 8570w but the motherboard/chipset are identical to the 8470w) but as I said before the information I found so far is scarce. I really don't know if this lap could support a 55w tdp cpu without throttling or if it's really supported and even if it's supported how is the overall performance. I know that the difference between the 3840qm and the 3940xm is not great and I will take the safe path eventually but I have to ask if someone made it cause I want to really max it out if possible.

I want to thank again Norbury Brook from this fine forum for answering all my stupid questions back in the day that finally got me to purchase this lap.
My english is not that great, sorry and thanks in advance for any helpful information. (:
Old 24th May 2017
Here for the gear

bump.
Old 26th May 2017
yuk
Gear Head

8570w (and 8770w) has officially supported i7-3940-XM since BIOS F.40.
https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c03654088

I do not know 8570w and 8470w use same mainboard or not, but 8470P and 8470W officially support TDP 45W 4 cores i7.

I upgrade my 8470p from i5 3360m to i7 3720qm, and mine works fine.

Though I do not satisfy its cpu performance, I do not consider buying new laptop or CPU UPGRADE now. Intel is going to release core i9 soon. I will wait intel releases i9 for mobile workstation.
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuk View Post
8570w (and 8770w) has officially supported i7-3940-XM since BIOS F.40.
https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c03654088

I do not know 8570w and 8470w use same mainboard or not, but 8470P and 8470W officially support TDP 45W 4 cores i7.

I upgrade my 8470p from i5 3360m to i7 3720qm, and mine works fine.

Though I do not satisfy its cpu performance, I do not consider buying new laptop or CPU UPGRADE now. Intel is going to release core i9 soon. I will wait intel releases i9 for mobile workstation.
Thanks for the input man.
I know this is a very eccentric situation that very few people would be involved but I am not giving up easily. Although hp gives separate bios updates for the 8570w/8770w and 8470w still their mainboards must be (almost) identical. From the scarce info I grabbed here and there in the interwebs I think that the 3940xm should be recognized by the firmware, what I definitely don't know is what it's general attitude gonna be, if it thermal throttles easily with minimal loads or not ie, if it does it beats the whole purpose of upgrading to such a cpu. The safe bet should be a 3840qm, I know but I still have to ask if anyone else done it with a 3940xm.
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Maniac
FWIW, I upgraded my Elitebook 8560w from i5-2540M to i7-2720QM a few years back. BIOS support was of no concern because the i7 was one of the officially supported CPUs for that model, but heat was a different matter. IIRC, what I found out (after buying the new CPU, oops!) was that the i7 came with a different cooling system, but I think (speaking from memory, so I'm not entirely sure) it wasn't just the cooling system but also the motherboard, or so I concluded from the different shape and screw pattern on the bigger cooler, so I just kept the original one and installed Throttle Stop. With normal Windows / Office tasks it works happily on full speed, but in my DAW (Studio One) I have to throttle it back some or it will trigger the overheating protection and cause stutters. It's still worth it for me because the difference between the i5 at full speed and the i7 throttled is still quite significant.

Anyways, I thought I'd tell you my story because it may apply to you, make sure there aren't different cooling systems (and possibly motherboards) for different CPUs in your particular model, and note that even if that's the case, Throttle Stop works very well and lets you really push it to the limit of whatever cooling system you have, although you may not be too happy not to use the new CPU to its full potential, that's for you to decide.

Hope this helps!
Old 28th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
FWIW, I upgraded my Elitebook 8560w from i5-2540M to i7-2720QM a few years back. BIOS support was of no concern because the i7 was one of the officially supported CPUs for that model, but heat was a different matter. IIRC, what I found out (after buying the new CPU, oops!) was that the i7 came with a different cooling system, but I think (speaking from memory, so I'm not entirely sure) it wasn't just the cooling system but also the motherboard, or so I concluded from the different shape and screw pattern on the bigger cooler, so I just kept the original one and installed Throttle Stop. With normal Windows / Office tasks it works happily on full speed, but in my DAW (Studio One) I have to throttle it back some or it will trigger the overheating protection and cause stutters. It's still worth it for me because the difference between the i5 at full speed and the i7 throttled is still quite significant.

Anyways, I thought I'd tell you my story because it may apply to you, make sure there aren't different cooling systems (and possibly motherboards) for different CPUs in your particular model, and note that even if that's the case, Throttle Stop works very well and lets you really push it to the limit of whatever cooling system you have, although you may not be too happy not to use the new CPU to its full potential, that's for you to decide.

Hope this helps!

Thanks mate.
That's what I am afraid of but even with the 3840qm I think I wouldn't have those problems. The question remains though, if anyone already installed the 3940xm in this particular notebook and how it behaves (thermal throttling etc).
Old 29th May 2017
yuk
Gear Head

55W CPU is being limited to 45W on a 2570P
https://www.techinferno.com/index.ph...#comment-78837

8470p, 8470w might be also limited to 45W.
Old 30th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuk View Post
55W CPU is being limited to 45W on a 2570P
https://www.techinferno.com/index.ph...#comment-78837

8470p, 8470w might be also limited to 45W.
I am pretty sure that the 55w 3940xm should be compatible with the 8470w, what I really don't know is how it behaves in high cpu loads (temps > thermal throttling etc).
Old 5th October 2017
Here for the gear

(last) bump
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Well, if the heatsink is different with the upgraded chip, I suppose you could:

1. buy the upgraded heatsink (risk that the screw pattern, motherboard, case have changed dimensions so you will need to research that). If you decide to keep the original heatsink, learn if there is any downside.

2. upgrade the thermal paste to liquid metal, which should significantly boost the thermal performance of your heatsink. Downside is that you need to be careful to isolate surrounding areas from getting "wet". Tape and/or clear nailpolish are popular isolation methods. Research this carefully as it can be dangerous done improperly but it can also prevent thermal throttling issues. Of course you will still have the absolute limits of the radiator size, fan capacity, etc. but upgrading thermal paste can make a big difference for laptop performance.

3. Strategically increase airflow into your laptop (lift laptop off the table a bit, use a big fan base, increase intake efficiency with more/bigger holes by intake fans

Regardless, undervolting with free ThrottleStop makes a huge difference in thermals on my computer with zero impact on performance. The software is very stable on my systems.

You may be able to undervolt with Intel XTU. That may also allow you to boost back to 55W as well but you need to have much better cooling than stock or you will kill your system. Intel XTU is a bit buggy but has access to (one) more power register than ThrottleStop does so could be more successful in boosting to 55W. No way to know if this trick will work but I got it working on Skylake and Kaby Lake laptops (to prevent PL throttling).

Of course, your VRM can only produce a limited amount of power for the CPU so may not even get close to 55W regardless of how you reset the registers. But if you keep the VRM (very) cool it can run at max efficiency and you should have several watts of headroom above 45W.
Old 6th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanallen View Post
Well, if the heatsink is different with the upgraded chip, I suppose you could:

1. buy the upgraded heatsink (risk that the screw pattern, motherboard, case have changed dimensions so you will need to research that). If you decide to keep the original heatsink, learn if there is any downside.

2. upgrade the thermal paste to liquid metal, which should significantly boost the thermal performance of your heatsink. Downside is that you need to be careful to isolate surrounding areas from getting "wet". Tape and/or clear nailpolish are popular isolation methods. Research this carefully as it can be dangerous done improperly but it can also prevent thermal throttling issues. Of course you will still have the absolute limits of the radiator size, fan capacity, etc. but upgrading thermal paste can make a big difference for laptop performance.

3. Strategically increase airflow into your laptop (lift laptop off the table a bit, use a big fan base, increase intake efficiency with more/bigger holes by intake fans

Regardless, undervolting with free ThrottleStop makes a huge difference in thermals on my computer with zero impact on performance. The software is very stable on my systems.

You may be able to undervolt with Intel XTU. That may also allow you to boost back to 55W as well but you need to have much better cooling than stock or you will kill your system. Intel XTU is a bit buggy but has access to (one) more power register than ThrottleStop does so could be more successful in boosting to 55W. No way to know if this trick will work but I got it working on Skylake and Kaby Lake laptops (to prevent PL throttling).

Of course, your VRM can only produce a limited amount of power for the CPU so may not even get close to 55W regardless of how you reset the registers. But if you keep the VRM (very) cool it can run at max efficiency and you should have several watts of headroom above 45W.
Hey van,
I'm aware of these things but I'm mostly interested if anybody already tried to install a 3940xm to an elitebook 8470w. Well that said I almost decided to go for an 3840qm to play it safe.
The firmware on my elitebook is locked so no throttle stop or undervolting for me.
As for thermal paste I use the trustworthy artic cooling mx4 that does a pretty good job.
I always use a big fan base with my laptop.
All your comments are valid, Thanks for the reply man.

Last edited by sysex; 8th October 2017 at 12:30 AM..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search