The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Interface OR Digital Mixer? Audio Interfaces
Old 25th April 2017
Here for the gear

New Interface OR Digital Mixer?

Hello Gearslutz!

I hope I am posting in the correct place.

I am in need of some advice on choosing the right interface for my setup - during my search for a new interface that has at least 8 ins (preferably 16), Ive also seen these digital mixers that are mostly used for live setups - but can work as interfaces too.

The products that I have in mind are these:

Allen & Heath QU-SB
Behringer X Air XR18

Antelope Audio Zen Tour
RME Fireface UC
Roland UA-1610 STUDIO-CAPTURE
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Some of these will be upgraded with ADAT for atleast 16 Ins.

And when I have space I also want to add a Mackie 1604 VLZ4 to my setup - but I dont have space atm and will not have any space for it until the end of the year.

Right now I do everything out out of the box, but In the future I want to incorporate my Push and Ableton into this setup, to get a similar work flow of Nick Hook in Against the Clock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv91yT_WAPA

I have an MPC (masterclock/midi duties), 5x Synths (some with sequencers), 3x drum machines and a bunch of FX pedals.

So no mics in my setup - might have one later on for my guitarr.

Right now I am leanin towards the QU-SB, as it gives me the option of tracking without a computer, which is nice when just jamming - but it could also act as an interface for the hardware mixer in the future and as a mixer with an ipad for my setup right now. (As i dont have more space atm for a real HW mixer)

Any one see any cons of getting the QU-SB? What wouldve be the benefits of getting a real interface? Better sound? Less Latency?

The QU-SB seems to fit all my needs, and I will be able to hook it up to the Mackie in the future to get some faders. But I wonder if its a bad choice to get a live mixer as an interface? And not just a real interface...

Sorry for the long post! Any advice or recommendation is highly appriciated!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search