The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Modern UAD Fatso alternative?
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Addict

Modern UAD Fatso alternative?

I know the question has been asked over the years, but it looks like it's been five years or so... and a lot has happened in the plug-in world in the last five years.

I only have face-value knowledge about the Fatso and the qualities it imparts, and there certainly is something to be said for the notion that I'm not missing it too badly if I don't really even know about it! But I'm interested if anyone has any chains that do a similar thing.
Old 24th April 2017
Here for the gear
I have not listened to UAD Fatso but if you looking for a plug in that works without UAD and adds analog style saturation and compression I would recommend you try Soundtoys. I bought this recently and have been impressed how much amazing colour and warmth the plug ins impart. In particular Radiator and Decapitator add lovely saturation to a track. They have a 30 day trial. https://www.soundtoys.com/demo/

Have you tried Slate ? I haven't tried them but they seem to have great emulations of classic plug ins.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djceejay View Post
I have not listened to UAD Fatso but if you looking for a plug in that works without UAD and adds analog style saturation and compression I would recommend you try Soundtoys. I bought this recently and have been impressed how much amazing colour and warmth the plug ins impart. In particular Radiator and Decapitator add lovely saturation to a track. They have a 30 day trial. https://www.soundtoys.com/demo/

Have you tried Slate ? I haven't tried them but they seem to have great emulations of classic plug ins.
I don't think decapitator or radiator are really relevant here cos they don't have timing variables like the fatso with its compression algo

Sound toys are nice colour tools but not fatso

Fatso peaked my interest recently watching Vance demonstrate his use of it, the way he uses it parallel breathing saturation. Nice work Vance
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

its such a weird piece that I can't think of any plugin equivalent without combining a few things. Its one of my favourite plugins but I'd say you're better off just trying to create sounds you like rather than trying to copy the specific behaviour of a FATSO (unless you have access to UAD or the hardware).
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Addict

Again, I don't have the foggiest what the Fatso sounds like. Seems though with such great distortion plugs as HG2 Black Box, Omega 458a, etc, and all the tape sims and fantastic compressors and the renaissance of analog modeling, that a similar chain could be constructed.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Have you checked out Emperial Labs website? Go read about the Fatso. It does basically just what the name empties. Makes everything nice and fat sounding. I own the hardware Fatso and track and run mixes thru it. Love it!
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

There's no substitute for the UAD version in plugin land I'm afraid. The thing is very very special.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Maniac

ELI Arousor
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
Again, I don't have the foggiest what the Fatso sounds like. Seems though with such great distortion plugs as HG2 Black Box, Omega 458a, etc, and all the tape sims and fantastic compressors and the renaissance of analog modeling, that a similar chain could be constructed.
to achieve something similar, you'd need different styles of compression, tape saturation that crunches a bit and softens the high end, and a transformer emulation. the real benefit of a FATSO is having the control set and parameter ranges that it does so combining different things isn't really going to work.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
I know the question has been asked over the years, but it looks like it's been five years or so... and a lot has happened in the plug-in world in the last five years.

I only have face-value knowledge about the Fatso and the qualities it imparts, and there certainly is something to be said for the notion that I'm not missing it too badly if I don't really even know about it! But I'm interested if anyone has any chains that do a similar thing.
Sknote Distro is a emulation of the distressor and the fatso jr together. Can't vouch for how it compare to the UAD because I haven't tried either. The hardware is a very cool unit though,
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe the UBK-1 from the House of Kush?
The House of Kush
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Nut

I've heard the Fatso but don't own it/use it extensively myself, but I would imagine the closest native alternatives would be Devil-loc deluxe maybe? And yeah, UBK-1 by Kush. At least close compression wise without the tape sim aspect anyway
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
Have you checked out Emperial Labs website? Go read about the Fatso. It does basically just what the name empties. Makes everything nice and fat sounding. I own the hardware Fatso and track and run mixes thru it. Love it!
This was a great idea, thank you. The manual is very informative and also written in "plain English," so it definitely gives a good idea of what the Fatso is doing and I think will provide me with a good starting point to try and make my own plugin recipe.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
How does the hardware version compare with the UAD
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor For Music View Post
How does the hardware version compare with the UAD
I use UAD Plugins, but not the Fatso. So, I have no idea how the plugin compares with the hardware. Maybe someone else here has both.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

It's the one plugin I miss after leaving the UAD platform after 10 years of using them...still haven't found a native alternative.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranhadrum View Post
it's the one plugin i miss after leaving the uad platform after 10 years of using them...still haven't found a native alternative.
psp vw2
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directed View Post
psp vw2
While a great plugin, not quite that same as the fatso. Also seems like the OP is looking for a more "modern" plug and VW2 is pretty old.

That said, it's not like the UAD fatso sounds bad because it's an older plug, not sure why people scoff at any plugin thats older than 5 years. It still sounds just as sexy as it did when it was shiny and new.

Hey, an original Fairchild sounds incredible and it's about 70 years old.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
While a great plugin, not quite that same as the fatso. Also seems like the OP is looking for a more "modern" plug and VW2 is pretty old.

That said, it's not like the UAD fatso sounds bad because it's an older plug, not sure why people scoff at any plugin thats older than 5 years. It still sounds just as sexy as it did when it was shiny and new.

Hey, an original Fairchild sounds incredible and it's about 70 years old.
Sonnox Oxford Eq is also old, but people buy it and use it, because it sounds better than some other parametric eq's.
Not sure, but maybe Waves Vitamin also can do something similar to Fatso.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directed View Post
Sonnox Oxford Eq is also old, but people buy it and use it, because it sounds better than some other parametric eq's.
Not sure, but maybe Waves Vitamin also can do something similar to Fatso.
I agree. Sylenth is old, people still buying it and using the heck out of it because it sounds good. Nothing wrong with it!
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Culture vulture, distressor, and fatso are in the same vibe to my ears. Not a huge fan tbh. I redemoed the uad fatso and many others a week ago and did many auditions and it's nowhere as good as a fairchild 660 for example, I know we're talking different beasts but still.

I prefered the culture vulture first then the fatso, then the distressor last in term of distortion sound. (But I like clarity/subtelty/3d so what I like you might dislike)

Maybe try the rs124 from AR in Fuze mode, it's in the same vibe as what the fatso brings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search