The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do I need a new audio interface?
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Nut

Do I need a new audio interface?

My current audio interface is M-Audio Delta 192. I'm using it only for conecting my midi key and monitors, I will probably use a mic in the future aswell.

I'm using a lot of big orchestral sample libraries so my projects easily take up to 32gb memory or even more. I wonder if any of the below interfaces would do any better then my M-Audio

FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2I4 MKII 179 €
NI Komplete Audio 6 200 €
FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 6I6 MKII 249€
STEINBERG UR-44 275 €
FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 18I8 MKII 349€
RME HDSPe AIO 549 €
RME Baryface Pro 729 €

This are the prices I could get them for. NI Kimplete and FOCUSRITE 2I4 are price wise very attractive. Babyface Pro is the highest I would go budget wise but this are all USB interfaces and might be even worse with latency then my delta 192 so I'm leaning towards AIO.

Any help and new suggestions are welcome, thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I don't care about portability so USB is not a must.

Last edited by skyform; 24th April 2017 at 01:38 PM..
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Addict

Basically if you are only using the interface for two output channels and no recording. There is little advantage to changing interfaces and in fact if you are going from a PCI or PCIe interface to USB you are likely going to be worse off. However It is likely that your real problem not enough CPU. If you can work at higher latencies (as most composers can) then you should consider distributing your workload across multiple machines. The are products like Vienna Symphonic Library Pro that can help you do this. Unfortunately you may need multiple licenses to you Instrument libraries to make this work.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycappuccinoguy View Post
Basically if you are only using the interface for two output channels and no recording. There is little advantage to changing interfaces and in fact if you are going from a PCI or PCIe interface to USB you are likely going to be worse off. However It is likely that your real problem not enough CPU. If you can work at higher latencies (as most composers can) then you should consider distributing your workload across multiple machines. The are products like Vienna Symphonic Library Pro that can help you do this. Unfortunately you may need multiple licenses to you Instrument libraries to make this work.
Thank you for your reply. I would like to record vocals in the future. You mean Vienna Ensamble Pro? I was already reconsidering VE Pro few times but I think I will pass for now.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
Thank you for your reply. I would like to record vocals in the future. You mean Vienna Ensamble Pro? I was already reconsidering VE Pro few times but I think I will pass for now.
Yes I mean VE Pro.

If you are recording audio then I would say get PCIe or thunderbolt if you cannot live with direct monitoring for recording vocals(i.e. no effects).
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear
What exactly is the problem? You didn't say.
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Head

If you are running a lot of sample libraries, your computer is a much bigger factor than the interface. for best results you should make sure you setup your sample hard drive up correctly and separately from your system drive, should be an SSD at this point. That being said if you are planning on recording you want to get something with good quality A/D and D/A converters and preamp. The AIO is great but if you are planning on recording vocals in the future DO NOT GET IT. Get one of the other options, the RME Baby face is probably the best choice there, that's why its more expensive. RME has great clocking and it has midi in so you don't need an additional midi interface. A lot of people who use Focusrite seem to dig them too and it will work fine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search