The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad Pro vs Macbook for Tracking and Mixing. Audio Interfaces
Old 24th April 2017
Here for the gear

iPad Pro vs Macbook for Tracking and Mixing.

Hey Gearslutz,

This is my first post and judging by the nature of my question, it may be a long one.

I was looking around for any threads that might answer this question, but the majority of existing threads that cover this topic were created and active prior to the release of the iPad Pro.

I'm looking for a machine that can embrace and handle the hybrid approach that I'll be implementing once I've finished upgrading my studio equipment (I plan to use either my Presonus Audiobox iTwo or my college's Behringer X32 for tracking, a Lexicon MX200 and a DBX 166XS for mixing, whilst using a Presonus Faderport for controlling my DAW of choice).

I am familiar with working on both iOS and OS X for music production, as I currently use GarageBand on a 2nd Generation iPad for home use, and I use Logic Pro X on an iMac at college. I'm edging towards staying with OS X and Logic, despite knowing the capabilities of iOS' other pieces of DAW software. However, I'm keen to know what you guys think would be the better option (taking into consideration the power of both the 9.7" and 12.9" iPad Pros).

Well that wasn't too long, thank you guys in advance!
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Head

If you have an iPad Pro and a Macbook, you have an essentially infinite number of possible workflows for creating music. Can you find the ultimate workflow that works for you? Hard to say. You could spend all of your time experimenting with different workflows and never create a single finished work of art.

I use a full featured workstation with Pro Tools and Cubase, as well as an iPad for music creation. Gearslutz slants toward people who need to have the very best of every single thing to record a sound. iPad production has a completely different mindset, and it is often more important to be able to compose a piece of music sitting in a bus than to have the perfect sounding microphone. If you are serious about iPad music production, you should check out the audiob.us forum.

In my opinion, the current DAW offerings are all very capable, but also needlessly complex, and buggy. They do the job for professional music production.

iOS music apps are developing and really moving quickly these days, and I think it is the most exciting area for music production right now. Garage Band is a great program, but it is so similar to the other DAWS it doesn't interest me that much. For a great set of core apps I would suggest: Gadget, Cubasis, audiobus, audioshare, AUM, blocs wave, launchpad, KRFT, Beathawk. Then add in some of the fantastic synth, guitar processors, and effects and you can create anything.

If you plan to track live bands, get a macbook. If you want to start musical ideas with one person and then develop them into full productions, get an iPad Pro.
Old 24th April 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you for your response man, I do feel like I've been spending so much time trying to create a "perfect workflow", whilst almost completely forgetting about the actual creative side of what we do!

I agree with you with your thoughts on which device would be best suited in certain situations, and I'm definitely swaying towards a MacBook. There's a lot of varied opinions on which specs to focus on when buying a Mac, so if it's not any trouble, would you mind recommending some specs that would comfortably allow me to track/work with no more than 64 track (as I primarily work with acoustic instruments)?

Thanks again for your advice!
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Head

Get the best Macbook that you can comfortably afford. Gearslutz will push you to get the very fastest processor and most RAM with the biggest SSD drive possible. But honestly, I suspect that even the basic current Macbook Air can do pretty awesome audio production for 64 tracks or less. All daws have the ability to freeze tracks for virtual instruments. At some point if you throw on enough plugins you can max out the CPU. But you can figure out how to work around that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search