The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amp simulation plugins for 50-200 USD Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Amp simulation plugins for 50-200 USD

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a amp simulation plugin and I am a little bit lost with all the possibilities around here.

I would like to spend no more than 200 USD on it, but if I can find something good for cheaper, it would be great.

Let me know what you guys have and like.

Thanks,
Jean
Old 23rd April 2017
I haven't bothered trying the latest stuff, but I'm happy with using Amplitube 2 still. (I also still have/use my Line-6 POD xt & VoxToneLab hardware modelers). I wasn't crazy for Waves amp sim at the time I tried it. There's been some some great feedback on some other stuff, and I may give those a try myself at some point. (I've been out of music commission for a while).

You also may want to try all the free stuff that's out there these days.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

I still like and use s-gear a lot. I haven't been to their site for awhile, but I'm pretty sure there is a demo available.
L.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Bias FX is excellent.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Bias FX is excellent.
I second that one. But BIAS Amp is even better for amp purposes.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

What do you guys think of Overloud TH3 and guitar rig ?
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwagon06 View Post
I have TH3 as part of the SONAR suite. It's not as good as Bias FX
Old 24th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwagon06 View Post
Which styles are you willing to cover?

Pretty crucial question in this topic. For example, S-Gear is a great plug-in for anything other than high-gain while TSE X50 is awesome for high-gain but not quite appropriate for everything else.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
S-Gear is a great plug-in for anything other than high-gain
You can use it with IRs to turn it into a high-gain beast. Slate Digital have some Youtube videos on how to do that.

I use it with Ownhammer's 412 BOG impulses.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Still getting good mileage from GTR3 which has boutique and modded amps. You can often pick it up for around $50 when it's on sale.

A sense a change is about to come too. I have absolutely no information on the matter, but I suspect Waves V10 is around the corner. This could possibly mean a new GTR4 too.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Don't forget Brainworx well renowned rockrack. Now in V3 I think it is below 200 USD:
Brainworx bx_rockrack review | MusicRadar
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Maniac

It puzzles me how many people still recommend stuff like Bias, Line 6, GTR and Guitar Rig.

There are so many competitors on the market that offer far superior sound quality and don't put all their money in youtube videos for marketing, but in the development of their products. Kazrog, Mercuriall, TSE, Peavey...

Last edited by GrabtharsHammer; 24th April 2017 at 02:48 PM..
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRick View Post
Don't forget Brainworx well renowned rockrack. Now in V3 I think it is below 200 USD:
Brainworx bx_rockrack review | MusicRadar
Yes I have that too. They have a few unique features and a slightly unique approach to the processing. It's great sounding as well.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
It puzzles me how many people still recommend stuff like Bias, Line 6, GTR and Guitar Rig.

There are so many competitors on the market that offer superior quality and don't put all their money in marketing, but in the development of their products. Kazrog, Mercuriall, TSE, Peavey...
I just tend not to recommend anything i haven't used.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Head

I suggest Bias amp pro only
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post

There are so many competitors on the market that offer far superior sound quality and don't put all their money in youtube videos for marketing, but in the development of their products. Kazrog, Mercuriall, TSE, Peavey...
I recommend Bias and Guitar Rig because I own use and like them. As far as the ones you mentioned I didn't like what I heard from the Karzog demo's at all so I can't recommend that and the Peavey is hardly new but is on my list to buy eventually. The other 2 I'll have to investigate. Also Guitar Simms and Guitar sound in general can be a personal thing so what may sound superior to you might not seem so to someone else. But hey, no one's preventing you from recommending your favorites.
Old 25th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
You can use it with IRs to turn it into a high-gain beast. Slate Digital have some Youtube videos on how to do that.

I use it with Ownhammer's 412 BOG impulses.
For certain types of metal it can definitely work, but not for others. That's where X50 (and others) comes into play.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
...Also Guitar Simms and Guitar sound in general can be a personal thing so what may sound superior to you might not seem so to someone else. But hey, no one's preventing you from recommending your favorites.
This is definitely true. It's more a perceptual, personal preference thing, especially when the quality of everything is just so good these days. The deciding factor often comes down to a accessibility and workflow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search