The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Modular Mac Pro - your requirements specification DAW Software
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

New Modular Mac Pro - your requirements specification

Apple plans to release a new modular MacPro.
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ma...or_the_mac_pro

What would be (y)our requirements for building real pro Audio Workstations?
Let´s make a specification sheet.

PCIe slots? HD bays and/orFLASH slots? Connectivity?
Just similar to the old 5.1 MacPro or a completely revolutionary design?
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
it kinda all depends on the form factor they want. I honestly do not even know what "modular" is supposed to mean.

PCi is one thing that will determine the size, no? What role do PCi play anymore? I personally have a feeling that going to a 5.1 form is going backwards and that is something Apple does not do.

I think the number 1 thing is connectivity. If modular means 'flexible' I am all for it.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
PCi is one thing that will determine the size, no? What role do PCi play anymore?
I think that´s key question which has to be answered at first.
PCI solutions like ProTools HDX or on the windows side Pyramix have their advantages regarding DSP Power for audio and latency. Even a Dante PCI card is faster and more powerful than the Dante software card.

Quote:
I personally have a feeling that going to a 5.1 form is going backwards and that is something Apple does not do.
Probably right.
Old 23rd April 2017
Deleted User
It is interesting how in 2004 I used all the available ports on my G5 (with lots of expansion required filling all available PCI expansion slots) along with WiFi, Bluetooth and Optical Drive, and how I barely use any of the included connectivity on my 2009 Mac Pro (only USB and Ethernet), none of the WiFi, Bluetooth or Optical Drives, and mostly use the PCIe expansion slots (all slots are full) for what isn't provided (40GbE and 100GbE).

In 2018, Apple could simply forego all standard connectivity ports (i.e. Thunderbolt, Firewire, USB, SPDIF Audio I/O) and other features (WiFi, Bluetooth, Optical Drive, Audio speaker), and simply provide the following on the rear of the case:
4x 1GbE ports
4x 40GbE ports over Fiber
4X 100GbE ports over Fiber

All my connectivity needs to peripherals would be covered, including NAS and LTO storage, Dante/Ravenna/AES67 Audio Network, 4K and 8K video streams, graphic displays and projectors, keyboard, mouse, and pen/tablet.

Doubt many users here would be happy with this configuration though.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Maniac

Raid SSD internal or 4tb plus of fast storage, USB 3 x 6 plus USB-c / tb3 x 3, preferably separate busses. 4K hdmi support, Uber quiet, user upgradeable, no glue
Old 23rd April 2017
Please no trashcan or other weird " let's make a statement " design ethos... unfortunately I have a feeling "Modular" means plugging in adapters in Apple vocab... However that was one of the biggest drawbacks from the trashcan so I really hope they have learned from that poor design / implementation
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Basically, if they took older MacPro with internal drive bays, PCIe and M.2 slots.. add few TB3/USB-C ports and make it lower to fit 19" rackmount shelf for horizontal mount, then I'd consider to use it again for professional projects.
Modularity means for me, the user can choose any peripheral he want and can put it to the case (no external "thingies" with wall-warts), be it video I/O, multiport 10 gig, fibre channel card, SAS RAID card, digital audio interface.. dual super duper VGA.. nothing mentioned have to be on-board, because it would unnecessarily increase its base price and flexibility and reliability is the key aspect in this computer segment.. just manage to have enough space, power and PCIe lanes for that.

That would qualify it as a workstation for me.. no compromises for art directors, workstation belongs under desk or to some machine room others can get some iMac.

Michal
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search