The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME HDSPe RayDAT
Old 23rd April 2017
RME HDSPe RayDAT

hi guys,

so i finally decided to take my setup to the next level using pcie (dumping usb2 interfaces for good i hope, was experiencing latency etc..).

So i bought an RME HDSPe RayDAT.

What good ad/da converter do you think i could pair it with? i need 4 to 8 channels max (i know the rayDat is overkill for my needs but i got a good second hand deal for it)

im continuing my research on the side, just looking for opinions, experience hands on etc..

thanks guys!

cheers.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Maniac

What is your budget ?
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

4 channel is somewhat rare in-between number and so external converters are rather stereo or 8 channels.
I'm not sure, what's your idea about the budget and if you already have other things to accompany the converter like analogue monitor controller, maybe some outboard pre, headphone amp..

If you the most affordable and still usable, there's IMO only one choice - ADA8200 by Behringer.
For something with more features and very good sound - Focusrite Clarett Octopre. I haven't heard in person, but it's conversion and pres from their Clarret range of audio interfaces, which sounds great at its pricepoint IMO. So that would be probably the first thing I'd look at among new converters/preamps.
Other option for the similar money like Clarett is Presonus DP88.

Michal
Old 23rd April 2017
hi all, thanks for the reply.

The rest of the chain consist of a neumann u87, focal cms 65, avalon 737, now plus the rme raydat, in a treated environment.

Im doing vocals (mostly) and some instruments. The budget is not really an issue as the ad/da part is the weak link currently, and i d like it to be up to standard with the rest of the setup.

Of course im a semibroke studio enthusiast like a lot of us so the mid range price is welcome, but mostly quality and features are what im looking for.

The basics must be there as well, such as phantom, clock, quality converters, maybe two headphones out, 192 hz/24 bit, etc.. i know rme, lynx, antelope, lavry, interfaces are a go to usually.

Im aiming high end but under 2K if possible.

Also what s your thought on using either the adat vs the aes? which is more effective latency and signal quality wise. Cause that could also influence the choice of interface id like to get.

thanks!
Old 23rd April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiosis View Post
The basics must be there as well, such as phantom, clock, quality converters, maybe two headphones out, 192 hz/24 bit, etc.. i know rme, lynx, antelope, lavry, interfaces are a go to usually.

Im aiming high end but under 2K if possible.
You need to clarify first, if you want converter, preamp or an interface.
Preamps and converters doesn't have any headphone outputs or level control for monitors.. you need to buy that separately.
External audio interface has everything you've asked for, but it's meant primarily for direct connection to the computer via USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt.. eg. without any other audio interface. Some external audio interfaces are possible to use also that way (it's typically called standalone mode), but it needs to be verified first and possibly find limitations of such mode (for instance there's only one ADAT I/O, so it won't work at full channel count at 88.2 or 96k rates).

Focusrite or Presonus preamps, which I've mentioned, allow you to use it with both line-level (eg. from your outboard preamps) or mic-level input sources.
Both are meant for use via ADAT I/O with audio interface like your RayDat, so it could be a nice choice.
Then you can get external analogue monitor controller with headphone amp (for example something like Palmer Monicon L), this will be hooked to its analog outputs. Additional headphone outputs (eg. for your talent/artist) can be solved by additional HP amps.

Quote:
Also what s your thought on using either the adat vs the aes? which is more effective latency and signal quality wise. Cause that could also influence the choice of interface id like to get.
Your RayDat has only one stereo AES I/O and 32 channels (half at 88.2/96k) of ADAT I/O.. so the choice is pretty clear, I think. There's no practical difference between ADAT and AES with regards to the latency nor signal integrity.

Michal
Old 23rd April 2017 | Show parent
PMF
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
For something with more features and very good sound - Focusrite Clarett Octopre. I haven't heard in person, but it's conversion and pres from their Clarret range of audio interfaces, which sounds great at its pricepoint IMO. So that would be probably the first thing I'd look at among new converters/preamps.

Michal
Yes, this is really worth a try. I have 2 of them. For the price, the pre's sound really good, the unit is well built (nice and heavy) and looks good too
Old 25th April 2017
hi guys, thanks for the replies! Ill definitly have a look at the focusrite!

I was under the impression that adat was as good as aes? but now im reading reviews about people experiencing jitter with adat (vs aes).
Should i be concerned? i can always return the card with no hassle. If aes is more bulletproof than adat i d rather go with that.

Also i thought adat could record at 192/24, seems im reading that its actualy 96? hmmm..

Could you guys confirm this please?

thanks for all the help i really appreciate it

L.
Old 26th April 2017
i know its double the price but how about a Fireface UFX or Fireface 802? good preamps and converters?

thanks!

L
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Maniac

to the OP: you can find great deals out there on Apogee Rosetta 800's. they still sound great, even though they are older converters. OR you could get a Lynx Aurora 8 with Adat card. not too many complaints out there on these, and both sound pro.

not trying to hijack the thread here, but I too recently got a Raydat after selling my AES-32. I needed more channels available for my Ghost-32 mixer. The AES-32 is 16x16, and I thought about the option of adding a second AES-32, but that would have taken up FOUR lanes and two pcie slots, so the Raydat won. My issue with the Raydat is how close the adat ports are on the cards. What are the best quality toslink cables that fit together? I've seen recommendations out there for the Hosa toslink cables, but those are really cheap, and I don't like the plastic ends on them. Anyone using higher grade optical cabling on their Raydats?
Old 18th July 2017
Lynx Aurora 8 would be my choice.

I use an Apogee AD-16x with a Fireface UFX+. Works great for me.
Old 18th July 2017
I would recommend you converters from Ferrofish (ex Creamware) like the A16MK2:
FERROFISH A16 MK-II
There is also some stripped down version without Madi:
FERROFISH A16 ADAT EDITION
Old 10th September 2017
Here for the gear
Hi guys, i'm chiming in for a quick question...

I plan to upgrade my system to ADAT and i'm considering the following setup:

- Focusrite Clarett 8pre, connected ADAT to:
- RME raydat PCIe
- in my windows 10 PC running Reaper

(to mic up drums + bass + guitar + vocals)

My questions: 1) does it make sense?
2) will I be able to monitor through the line outputs on the Clarett?

From what i read, it should be fine, but since i need to buy both the Clarett and the Raydat,
it would be cool to have it confirmed...
Thanks!
Old 10th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by likevertigo View Post
Hi guys, i'm chiming in for a quick question...

I plan to upgrade my system to ADAT and i'm considering the following setup:

- Focusrite Clarett 8pre, connected ADAT to:
- RME raydat PCIe
- in my windows 10 PC running Reaper

(to mic up drums + bass + guitar + vocals)

My questions: 1) does it make sense?
2) will I be able to monitor through the line outputs on the Clarett?
1) not really, because Clarett 8pre is audio interface itself, which is primarily meant to be used with computer via TB.
If you plan to use RayDat, then you should rather get Clarett Octopre
https://us.focusrite.com/mic-pres/clarett-octopre
which works as standalone MicPre/Converter and you can connect it to RayDat via its ADAT I/O ports.
Such combination could make very good sounding and solid system with good performance.

2) Yes, all outputs of Octopre will be then accessible in TotalMix, so you can send direct and DAW signals there.

Michal
Old 10th September 2017
Here for the gear
Oops, you just made me realize there's a difference between 8pre and octopre...

Well yeah, what I originally meant was the one you linked, Clarett Octopre

Thanks for clearing that up! I think I made up my mind now

diego
Old 20th February 2018
Here for the gear
Lucid 88192, AD/DA can get it for $500 used, awesome converter, especially listening to 44.1 oversampled 88.2
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Behringer ada8200 vs rme octamic :

YouTube

So basicaly $200 vs $2000 preamps, and to me there's little to no difference, so not worth it !
๐Ÿ“ Reply