The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Longevity of Izotope and FabFilter Products?
Old 20th April 2017
Longevity of Izotope and FabFilter Products?

Heres the deal. I recognized recently I needed some better plug-ins then the Pro-Tool basics and free stuff. So I'm ready to make some plug-in purchases. Im sincerely looking at getting the Music Production Bundle 2 by Izotope and that entire library bundle by FabFilter the one that they price at 999 but I could probably get a student discount and get that down to 500 and the Izotope bundle down to 350. Thats 850 dollars. I don't need to be convinced on the Izotope bundle I really dig what they're doing but with the FabFilter Bundle I only am really interested in the Pro EQ and Saturn. Is it worth my while to get the entire FabFilter bundle for 500? There are 13 plug-ins in the bundle. Would these plug-in bundles be someone I use consistently for years to come? (referring to the FabFilter bundle mainly). Just want to know the longevity of it and if they will serve me for years to come. Also suggest a good amp sim software if you know one. Thanks!
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut

I find I use my Fabfilter plugins more than my iZotope software within music making, pretty much all the plugins in the Pro bundle are my primary workhorse tools and have been for a while. I don't think money going to Fabfilter is in the slightest bit wasted, as they are as versatile as tools get and can be used for almost any task within audio.

I love Ozone stand-alone and I absolutely love the RX Plug-in pack which I've found essential for audio sensitive work. I cannot speak for Neutron, Nectar or Trash.

Also my I don't use amp sims unless I absolutely have to but the best sounding I've tried is scuffham s-gear, and I'm a guitarist
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

The Line 6 Helix sounds great and they're releasing a native version soon, if not already available. If that is anything like the hardware unit then I don't think it would be a bad buy and should definitely be considered.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Just go for the fab filter bundle that has the eq and dynamics plugs. Cheaper and you'll be using them forever
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

I think defining what you want/need to improve will help - workhorse comps, eq etc or more creative, sound design kind of stuff. Fabfilter def do both and their gui, functionality, sound quality and update frequency are excellent.
Much as I dislike the term, my go-to mojo bundle is Soundtoys, honestly the closest I have in software to the feeling of a rack of hardware I reach for when I want to put some stank on things.....and eeeeeeverything needs some stank
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Fab Filter Pro-Q 2 FTW. Freeze option is awesome.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Most plugins have demos - try them out before you commit. Also, a lot of places will do student discounts if you contact them. For utility purposes DAW plugins can do most of what you need.

Personally I only like Fabfilter Pro Q, and Fabfilter Pro L. The other ones never really did it for me. They offer a discount depending on how many of their plugins you own btw.

I don't really like the Izotope interfaces and they have a high turnover of products (so you might have to pay upgrade fees often...). The Isotope stuff never really sounded that amazing to my ears either.

Soundtoys, Valhalla, Cytomic, D16 and Klanghelm get a lot more love in my studio...
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm using, primarily, an old version of Ozone (Ozone 5) for mastering. I also have Ozone 6 but for my applications Ozone 5 is better. I haven't upgraded to the latest V7 as I see nothing in it that will help me.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Most plugins have demos - try them out before you commit. Also, a lot of places will do student discounts if you contact them. For utility purposes DAW plugins can do most of what you need.

Personally I only like Fabfilter Pro Q, and Fabfilter Pro L. The other ones never really did it for me. They offer a discount depending on how many of their plugins you own btw.

I don't really like the Izotope interfaces and they have a high turnover of products (so you might have to pay upgrade fees often...). The Isotope stuff never really sounded that amazing to my ears either.

Soundtoys, Valhalla, Cytomic, D16 and Klanghelm get a lot more love in my studio...
Oh yes on Valhalla too....fingers crossed for the day Soundtoys do a reverb
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

My experience? I own ozone. It never gets used anymore. Ever. Same goes for nektar.

But Pro-Q is on every channel, and master bus. Pro-L is final limiter on every master.

I think izotope stuff is cool, but dangerous in the hands of newer engineers.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac
I use Fabfilter in every mix, on most channels. I own Pro-Q, L, and am demoing C which I will buy. I also own R, the reverb, which I think is great, and the simple filter plugin (don't remember the name). I have so far not been tempted to dig too much deeper into their tools as I have good solutions to the other problems. I would say demo a product or two and see how you like the workflow (which is part of why I love them so much) and if you do then an EQ/dynamics bundle would be the way to go. The sound and function is superb, just make sure you mesh with how they present the tools. Take your time and demo every reverb you can by anyone. That is a very personal choice.
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Hey mate, I picked up the FabFilter bundle for $468 (student discount) and I absolutely love it. The EQ, compressor and limiter I use a lot. Like all the time.

The reverb is magical and sounds wonderful, and I like the multi-band compressor a lot.

Chip, I know the synth you mean - it's the single oscillator thing - it's pretty neat. Twin is pretty darn good, and you can get some insane effects with their filter and delay plugs. I'm a fan (obviously).

I also got the Izotope music production 2 bundle. Don't hate me...but I picked it up a few months ago for $199 (maybe because I already had a couple of the products already). I really dig Ozone 7 Advanced for their Vintage components. I really love the sound of the tape saturator. I no longer use the Slate one. Neutron Advanced is also a great piece of kit, in my opinion.

Both I'll be using for a long time, but I have a feeling I'll be using FabFilter forever
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

The Fabfilter stuff to me are the only plugins that I've spent a healthy sum money on but have zero buyers remorse. Pro Q 2 goes on everything. I need to start grabbing C2 more. I'm just in the habit of using the Slate FG Blue, which I also love. I also have L, R, and MB. The only one that never won me over was Saturn. I have iZotope Trash 2 and I like that a lot more. Now demoing Twin 2 and I adore that thing. For the record, Pro-L doesn't always get the job on the master bus. Sometimes IK Stealth Limiter just does a cleaner job on a dense mix.

I used to have the iZotope Bundle but ended up selling it. I'm just not a fan of all-in-one workflows. I did really like a lot about Ozone, but I found I tinkered and tweaked way more than I should have simply because it was right there in front of me and is so fun to mess with. Nectar just didn't do anything for me. Alloy seemed a little datrd, and again, hate the all-in-one thing. The only real survivor for me was Trash 2. It's a killer dirt playground for sure.

Enjoy the new plugs. I don't think you'll ever want to part with the Fab stuff though. It's special and unique and kick-ass.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

trash 2 is an excellent piece of software I would use all the time for sound design and writing songs. for mix down I rarely used trash 2. I was using tape saturation plugins on mono tracks and sometimes on the stereo master bus in parallel. saturn was a plugin I could use everywhere for everything. however I could replace saturn with 6 different plugins one for each mode of saturn. saturn is a one stop shop. I don't think saturn replaces the convolution and fx chaining that trash 2 can do. for dirty DnB trash 2 was all I really needed. sometimes I would put my own eq before trash 2. if you want really good clean EQ then you should consider epure v3.
Flux:: sound and picture development
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search