The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to buy asap, Superior expansion, Drumforge, or Perfect Drums Virtual Instrument Plugins
View Poll Results: What to buy
Sdx expansion
4 Votes - 66.67%
Drumforge
0 Votes - 0%
Perfect Drums
2 Votes - 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

What to buy asap, Superior expansion, Drumforge, or Perfect Drums

Right now I have superior with metal machine ezx, my sound is alright but it's not amazing, looking to treat myself to an update.

So I can either...

Buy metal foundry sdx
Buy drumforge
Or buy the new perfect drums.

Perfect drums is 150 atm and will go up to 250 after a big sound update.

What should I do!

Disclaimer - I know this won't make me a better mixer but I kind of just want something new to work with.
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Go with a different sdx. Music City is the best sounding, most versatile kit in my opinion. Not just for Country.
L.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Guru

Honestly, I would just get EzDrummer 2 and load it in Superior. Obviously you do metal? I still think the stock kits in EZD2 are freaking awesome and can be used for a lot of genres as they are so full sounding and can be tweaked easily. I have most the expansions including the metal ones and I still would use EZD2 for metal. Tried the Perfect Drums demo and didn't really get in to it, EZD2 sounded way better and 3d. Haven't tried Drumforge.

Last edited by Animus; 17th April 2017 at 03:49 AM..
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

I agree about EZ2. That would certainly be a good option that would get you a lot of different kits, as well as a few bells and whistles that Superior doesn't have.
L.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Definitely Perfect Drums. I bought it a few days ago and am absolutely blown away by its quality and ease of use. I had EZdrummer2/MetalMachineEZX and BFD3/Oblivion before... EZdrummer always sounded a little lifeless and flat, BFD3 drove me crazy with its annoyingly complicated GUI.
Perfect Drums' presets are so well designed that I really just load the instrument in stereo mode, open a preset and am completely done and happy without any further tweaking. And it sounds huge! Invest the $150. You won't be disappointed.
I don't have any experience with Drumforge. But stay away from Toontrack's Metal Foundry EZX, that one is really bad.
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

EZ2
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Already have one ezx expansion (metal machine) and the cymbals are AWFUL. The shells are good and get used. I have heard the Metal Foundry has good cymbals, but I just don't know that it's the best investment if I am doing more than just metal.

At this point I am leaning more towards Drumforge or Perfect drums tbh.
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
Definitely Perfect Drums. I bought it a few days ago and am absolutely blown away by its quality and ease of use. I had EZdrummer2/MetalMachineEZX and BFD3/Oblivion before... EZdrummer always sounded a little lifeless and flat, BFD3 drove me crazy with its annoyingly complicated GUI.
Perfect Drums' presets are so well designed that I really just load the instrument in stereo mode, open a preset and am completely done and happy without any further tweaking. And it sounds huge! Invest the $150. You won't be disappointed.
I don't have any experience with Drumforge. But stay away from Toontrack's Metal Foundry EZX, that one is really bad.
What are the cymbals like in Perfect Drums compared to others you have worked with?
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Maniac

If I am not mistaken, Drumforge's own sample player isn't released yet (will be "in 2017" according to their homepage), so you would have to rely on Kontakt or Trigger.

What you wrote about Metal Machine is my experience, too. Cymbals sucked, Shells were usable.

Sorry for being such an annoying Perfect Drums fanboy here, but I just purchased it a couple of days ago and feel very enthusiastic about it. Never felt that way about ANY drum software I owned before. They all had their flaws. But yes, ATM it definitely is a rock/metal drums library. Although the (nearly) unprocessed samples one can blend with the processed ones sound much more natural, they still have a lot of punch. If you want to do other genres, you will perhaps have to wait for the upcoming expansion, which - according to the developers' posts - will be more suitable for other genres.

If you want rock or metal - buy Perfect Drums
If you want to cover more genres - buy some other EZXs or SDXs from Toontrack. Or buy Perfect Drums and wait for the soon to be released (and free) expansions that will cover more genres.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
What are the cymbals like in Perfect Drums compared to others you have worked with?
I'm not really good in finding the right words to describe that. Compared to Metal Machine's cymbals they have more depth, less sizzle and they sound - sorry for the lack of better words - more "woolly" (in a positive way). They just blend better with the mix. I always found other drum libraries' cymbals too obtrusive.
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
I'm not really good in finding the right words to describe that. Compared to Metal Machine's cymbals they have more depth, less sizzle and they sound - sorry for the lack of better words - more "woolly" (in a positive way). They just blend better with the mix. I always found other drum libraries' cymbals too obtrusive.
Yeah that is my exact experience, Metal machine cymbals are all sheen and have no body. Thank you for the input.
Old 17th April 2017
It's all personal tastes. I have several drum VSTi programs & add-on sound packs to choose to use, but I do gravitate to my favorites.
Old 17th April 2017
I'm thinking about radically downsizing my arsenal after hearing the Progressive Foundry SDX. That one is distinctly different from all other toontrack libraries. The only other SDX I would put in the same class is the Roots SDX.

The Progressive Foundry just sounds right to my ears. The other EZXs and SDXs have their uses but from my experience either fit like a glove or are very hard to make sit in a song.

The EZDrummer factory kits are indeed great starters for lots of things.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Perfect Drums. Every snare from the selection provided sounds similar to the others, like biscuit tins, and all the sound samples have been recorded with the snare wires removed - very lame. It's clearly aimed at metal and nothing else. They claimed that they'll be providing components for alternative styles, but that's proven to be a big fat lie, as they've recently uploaded to Facebook videos of them sampling yet more of the same; such a pack of self-indulgent blockheads! The sampler can be a real nightmare when it comes to mapping.

When Perfect Drums was first released, they were making promises that all future updates would be free, but then somewhere along the line they inserted into their website that only updates to v1 would be free, thus requiring users to buy version 2 all over again, even though v1 is still only half-baked with all the promised updates reserved for version 2.

Plenty of us who bought version 1 have been left feeling somewhat scammed, but there's also no shortage of mugs saying they're willing to pay all over again for version 2.
Old 4 weeks ago
If you need great sounding drums for rock and metal have a look at GetGood Drums: All Products | GetGood Drums

Recorded by Adam "Nolly" Getgood who has recorded and mixed all the recent Periphery albums and the two recent Devin Townsend albums.

I personally use Superior Drummer 2 and love the Progressive Foundry pack which sounds much better than the Metal Foundry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've given up on drum software. I've found that good acoustic samples loaded into a sample player with multiple outputs works just as well, is easier to fit into the mix, and saves a crap load of money too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianpb View Post
I've given up on drum software. I've found that good acoustic samples loaded into a sample player with multiple outputs works just as well, is easier to fit into the mix, and saves a crap load of money too.
I've done a similar thing with sampleplayer5000 in Reaper, but I'm back using Sonar now.

I agree drum software is pretty bad.

Which sample player does the multiple output thing you describe?

TIA,
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
I've done a similar thing with sampleplayer5000 in Reaper, but I'm back using Sonar now.

I agree drum software is pretty bad.

Which sample player does the multiple output thing you describe?

TIA,
I had been been using Omni Sampler, which I believe is exclusive to Mixcraft 8, which is my DAW. It has eight outputs and worked nicely with my 32-bit floating point drum samples, but I recently discovered that the crash cymbal tails were getting cut short because the software's maximum release control period wasn't long enough. Consequently, I've been looking around for something better that's preferably free. I thought I'd found it with Sitala but there's a bug that prevents it from working properly with Mixcraft, so then I tried the free version of TX16Wx. However, I discovered that it was shaving off the lower frequencies of the snare and kick.

I'm now using the Perfect Drums sample player and it sounds okay, but it's such a pig to set up. Hopefully, Sitala will do the job more easily once the developers have ironed out the bug I reported for the next update.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianpb View Post
I had been been using Omni Sampler, which I believe is exclusive to Mixcraft 8, which is my DAW. It has eight outputs and worked nicely with my 32-bit floating point drum samples, but I recently discovered that the crash cymbal tails were getting cut short because the software's maximum release control period wasn't long enough. Consequently, I've been looking around for something better that's preferably free. I thought I'd found it with Sitala but there's a bug that prevents it from working properly with Mixcraft, so then I tried the free version of TX16Wx. However, I discovered that it was shaving off the lower frequencies of the snare and kick.

I'm now using the Perfect Drums sample player and it sounds okay, but it's such a pig to set up. Hopefully, Sitala will do the job more easily once the developers have ironed out the bug I reported for the next update.
OK, thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, I think SD3 has come out since the original post. I found it to be a nice step up from SD2, personally. Was skeptical to upgrade at first, but when I did, I realized I hadn't noticed quite how old SD2 had gotten. Not that there's anything wrong with SD2, but it was a welcome update.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search