The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should music producers get soundcloud automotion tools 2 increase real followers?
Old 15th April 2017
Here for the gear

Should music producers get soundcloud automotion tools 2 increase real followers?

I have a moral question here. I'm sure there are enough musicians and producers to get into this.

I myself have been doing music for quite some time, and having my "out there" has always been difficult, i.e. soundcloud followers. Musicians have to stick to music, not promotion in my humble opinion. A while ago I started this peculiar automotion tool for soundcloud users - SoundCloud Helper macOS (Not Your Classical Bot) TLDR: this is a simple automotion bot that lets you target people from other artists' following. It is important to underline, that this is not some spam bot, but rather a tool meant to reach an audience that will really be into my music, i.e. if I target a label that fits my style. Currently, this tool is available for Mac OSX users alone.

Still, once that is said, do you think music producers should get such automation tools, when i.e. this bot is meant to help you reach real people, who have a high chance of liking your/my music?

This is not a million dollars startup, so please spare sh** out and try to be a bit constructive for me where, thank you.
Old 15th April 2017
There are lots of sleazy outfits -- and not all of them are in former Russian slave states -- who'll put their 'like farms' to work for deep-pocketed individuals or promo teams who want to create the illusion of popularity (as well as ginning up fake listens/views, and faking widespread ad-exposures for various advertising revenue scams).

These gray-market-at-best organizations are largely in the same netherworld as the fake news and ad-mill sites -- and they are not exactly well-liked by the media exposure platforms like SoundCloud and Youtube that they parasitically infest. In fact YT has periodically very publicly gone on the warpath against such fake-view and other scammers, since they understand that if anyone is to take their metrics seriously -- and money rides on them -- that they have to squeegee as much fakery out as possible. And Soundcloud has a number of articles on avoiding scams and reporting spam and other 'fake activity.' [see link below]

I'm not going to elaborate a moral position here -- I think the 'morality' or lack thereof of lying to get ahead is a pretty straightforward proposition.

But I think it might well be unwise to engage in fake popularity schemes. Imagine how you'd feel if that was exposed...

Soundcloud: Reporting fake activity
Old 16th April 2017
Here for the gear

@ the blue,
my concept here is far from fake stats, but rather a tool that can help an artist get REAL soundcloud followers, by targeting people based on a specific account. Let's say my favourite label is X and my sound is really similar. The idea is to follow people that already follow that particular label/dj/producer/musician/etc, and if my music is good and I target people that already follow such style -> real soundcloud followers, does it make more sense like that? thank you
Old 16th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriKara View Post
@ the blue,
my concept here is far from fake stats, but rather a tool that can help an artist get REAL soundcloud followers, by targeting people based on a specific account. Let's say my favourite label is X and my sound is really similar. The idea is to follow people that already follow that particular label/dj/producer/musician/etc, and if my music is good and I target people that already follow such style -> real soundcloud followers, does it make more sense like that? thank you
Ah. I think I see. Apparently I misunderstood. As I understand what you describe what you want to do, it doesn't sound objectionable.

I'll admit I have a real thing about payola, like- and click- farms, fake news, etc. I guess I just don't like cheaters. I was one of the early mp3.com people and I saw the Russian 'download traders' and server-farm jockeys come in and totally F that place up with fake download campaigns. That really took hold during the period Mp3.com was actually paying artists a few cents per download. All of a sudden lame robo-generated and cut-n-paste techno tracks were dominating the charts (and revenue payouts) there. It SHOULD have hit rock-bottom when it was revealed that someone with a top ten techno 'hit' had simply uploaded a demo from the newly released Reason (I think it was)... =/
Old 16th April 2017
In reference to what you say you want to do, I would suggest really checking out and interacting with the people you follow. Don't just count on cyber-linkage. Networking, developing collegial relations with others who share your artistic/creative approach can definitely be helpful.

And in this post-label era, I note that more and more lesser-known bands are apparently finding real merit in linking up with other similar bands for collaborations, group shows, compilations, and even 'post-label labels' -- distribution and promotion alliances among bands.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search