The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best current solution for MBP second internal HD
Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear

Best current solution for MBP second internal HD

Hi Guys,
I know this question pops up from time to time, and I have searched old threads for answers specifically related to my situation, so apologies if this is redundant!

I have a 2011 MBP with
16GB of ram
1 x Samsung 250GB SSD (Running the OSX)
1 x 1TB 7200 RPM HD (for sample/Kontakt libraries and music for DJ gigs)

The 1tb HD is where the dvd slot used to be, and I would prefer not to run any external drives(although I do use them for backup).

My 1tb drive is now full and I would like to replace it with a bigger one. I did a bit of research when originally putting together this setup, and this was a recommended setup by many people for sample libraries, since you don't get a big advantage in this department with hybrid/ssd drives. I have been looking into a suitable 2.5inch HD that will fit into the caddy, and have noticed that there are not a great deal of options when going above 1TB.

I know that there are a few hybrid drives that claim to offer much faster speeds, but from what I understand that is mostly if you are using them to read the same group of files. So my question is, what would you guys recommend as a replacement drive, with performance in mind. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Many thanks in advance
Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear

Also, not sure if this is relevant with regards to sample loading, but my DAW is Ableton Live.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Sadly the Max size of most performance drives such as the 2.5" WD Black series for example is 1TB. There are the 2.5" Blue series which can go up to 2TB for a laptop drive or 6TB for desktop. but are limited to 5400RPM on the HDD's or the learning algorithm on the SSHD's.

An alternative you should look into is an SD card. For loading sample packs and general audio stuff they are quite hand and are small enough not be a burden carrying around. I haven't tried them loading something like Kontakt, but form what i hear they can manage pretty good.
The most common one i see used are the 128GB SD cards. Though you'd want to make sure to go for one with a fast transfer rate. There are also 256GB cards, though the price difference is pretty big in comparison to the 128GB, so that would depend on your budget
Old 15th April 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tip mate. I will look into it, but if the 128GB SD cards are comparatively way more expensive, then I can always just replace the SSD with a bigger one, for a temporary fix.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search