The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Basic laptop set up for recording?
Old 13th April 2017
Here for the gear

Basic laptop set up for recording?

Beginner set up for recording?

My wife and I used to be recording hobbyists of sorts but haven't really dabbled in over 10yrs. We're looking into getting back into it. Sorry for the basic questions here but I wondered if anyone could recommend me a beginners set up based on the following criteria?

We are approaching this basically as beginners now so may not need all bells and whistles.

We would like to go with a laptop (PC) and run Cubase.

We will be recording mic'd guitar etc and electronic music (via hardware synths etc).

Budget for laptop...less than a MacBook Pro(!) plus DAW and interface.

The most important recommendation would be the laptop itself as we really can't see the wood for the trees with this! Also we're based in the U.K. if that helps.

Sorry I'm sure these noob topics come up here all the time but I thought I'd start a new thread to address my specifics.
Cheers
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry for asking....what is your total budget? And...do you already have a copy of Cubase, or will you have to purchase that as well?
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm very happy with my Lenovo Thinkpad P50: quad Core i7, 48GB of RAM, solid state drive, four USB3.0 ports and a USB3.1/Thunderbolt 3 port, gigabit Ethernet port, touch screen, backlit keyboard. I spent less than $1,500 for it, plus another $140 for the RAM upgrade. I would recommend a quad core Intel i7 CPU, with at least 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD as a minimum for the laptop. I use it with Protools, and it runs fine.

If you only need to record up to two channels at a time, then I would recommend the Focusrite 2i4 or a Clarett 2Pre if you want to spend a bit more. (The Clarett 2Pre is on sale until the end of this month).

You can buy the laptop, RAM upgrades, a Clarett 2Pre, and Cubase 9 Pro for less than the cost of a moderately speced MacBook Pro. Might even have some cash left over to buy some extra plugins or a mic or two.

If you want to go the Protools route, there are places to buy Protools for about $400 these days.
Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
Sorry for asking....what is your total budget? And...do you already have a copy of Cubase, or will you have to purchase that as well?
Budget for laptop, would prefer to stay under £1500 we're flexible on other soft/hardware. We don't have have cubase but it's the preference as it's what we learned on.
Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear

@ JCBigler , wow are laptops a lot cheaper in your neck of the woods?
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMay View Post
@ JCBigler , wow are laptops a lot cheaper in your neck of the woods?
I dunno. 1500 pounds would equal about 1800 dollars U.S.

The Apple MacBook Pro is between $2,700 and $3,100 depending on configuration in the U.S.
Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear

After googling further it seems your laptop retails here for between £1500 and £2500 I need to investigate specs, that's a wide price range!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search