The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My mac is dying=Should I go PC? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
I've recently gone through this. its quite tiresome without an obvious choice at the moment.

decided to go with the 6 core new Mac Pro since they dropped the price last week. wth the tax back at £2500 I was happy *altho im sure someone will say I could have got a more powerful PC for this money* this new mac pro will more than do me
Yeah it's driving me nuts. I got my friend in one ear telling me how much power I could get in a custom pc for $1200!!!! I already have a build set up on new egg and it's pretty sweet for around $1100. But I really love Mac OS. But the more I think about it I'm in this for music not the os. So once I'm in my respective application (Ableton -maschine- etc) the os doesn't matter as much. I mean the file system and what not. But I know windows well. I just like Mac better. Idk what to do. If I had unlimited funds I'd just get a maxed out Mac Pro n call it a day. But I'm working with about $120o Max
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

My pc build has the new i7 7700k intel. 7th gen. It's like 4.2 ghz. Or something and 16 gb ram with a 500 gb. Ssd to start. It's hard to abandon that and get a 2012 MacBook Pro with a 4th or 5th gen CPU and 8 gb. Ram just got the os.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by uoad View Post
Yeah it's driving me nuts. I got my friend in one ear telling me how much power I could get in a custom pc for $1200!!!! I already have a build set up on new egg and it's pretty sweet for around $1100. But I really love Mac OS. But the more I think about it I'm in this for music not the os. So once I'm in my respective application (Ableton -maschine- etc) the os doesn't matter as much. I mean the file system and what not. But I know windows well. I just like Mac better. Idk what to do. If I had unlimited funds I'd just get a maxed out Mac Pro n call it a day. But I'm working with about $120o Max
Yeh I've had to spend double that. But my last Mac Pro lasted 11 years, I don't expect that this time but I've had my money's worth. I just don't want to think about it for a few years and I have the feeling windows won't give me that luxury! Good luck
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Sounds like you should consider a Hackintosh then? I've built 2 of them over the years and still have one. Works really good once you get past the initial research to get em set up right.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear
As long as it's not Windows 10.
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

Is windiws 10 that bad ?
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is windiws 10 that bad ?
It is not, for audio it performs quite well.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Nut

why not try a Macmini... lots of power for the cost...
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
why not try a Macmini... lots of power for the cost...
dual core so weak. we don't call it power.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Nut

I could never go to a PC. I hate windows passionately.
Old 16th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
It is not, for audio it performs quite well.
It performs excellent. All the hate is personal opinion or a bad experience with some crappy system which ruined their experience.
Old 22nd April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Yeah. $300 is def worth it. My current MacBook has decent specs and I'd like to do it so I can at least sell it to put towards a new computer. So who do I contact about fixing it?
Also, when you say logic board do you mean they'll just replace the mother board?
correct...i forgot to mention, the computer has to be less than 5 years old...otherwise..it's kinda pointless from both ends...
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaatza Music View Post
I could never go to a PC. I hate windows passionately.
Some feel the same about Macs. Both are equally valid, and neither are helpful as it's personal. My Macbook Pro has been as "unstable" as my Windows (ever since Windows went 64 bit) - that is to say, both are really stable but both sometimes need to be restarted.

PCs are a lot easier to assemble and fix as well, if hardware matters... but, get it wrong, and you can have more issues since you don't have a company picking out the hardware for you (like it or not).

I'm not a professional musician or in the music industry, so can only talk from daily usage of all sorts of stuff, including a home built Win10 PC and a Macbook Pro from 2015.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjohn View Post
dual core so weak. we don't call it power.
Power is relative.

It's better than a 10 year old Mac, and inexpensive enough for a transitional computer until new models settle in.

Well, that was my thinking. I mean if your running a decade old system, you have to know it's getting long in the tooth and it's only a matter of time for a disaster gets you when you aren't ready for it.

I really can't say anything for sure, until I actually get to test it out. So, grain of salt.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasHermus View Post
But, I am biased. My wife used to work for the European Apple service center, which the reason we do not have any Apple product in our house: we know the "quality" that is inside them.
A computer doesn´t only consist of parts. The operating system is at least as important as the hardware. From there I would make my decision. Which applications are available I nedd for which OS?
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
A computer doesn´t only consist of parts. The operating system is at least as important as the hardware. From there I would make my decision. Which applications are available I nedd for which OS?
kinda like a car, isn't it.

It's how I feel about driving it, regardless of whats inside.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search