The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Plugin Collective, Exponential Audio R2 Free this month
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

Focusrite Plugin Collective, Exponential Audio R2 Free this month

Old 7th April 2017
Here for the gear

This monthly freebee by Focusrite has been great.

But this month I am wondering if I should buy an iLok device to use the new "free" plugin. I have Valhalla Vintage Verb, which was around the same price as the iLok device. I don't relish having another dongle. What do you folks think. Is it worth the cost of the dongle considering I am happy with Valhalla Vintage Verb ?
Old 7th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverduckstudio View Post
This monthly freebee by Focusrite has been great.

But this month I am wondering if I should buy an iLok device to use the new "free" plugin. I have Valhalla Vintage Verb, which was around the same price as the iLok device. I don't relish having another dongle. What do you folks think. Is it worth the cost of the dongle considering I am happy with Valhalla Vintage Verb ?
Absolutely get R2 imo. It's a fantatstic reverb and compliments VVV really well.
Old 7th April 2017
Here for the gear

I need to buy my first reverb and am similarly down to VVV or buying an iLok to use with this (similar price). So if you had to choose one of VVV and R2?
Old 7th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklear View Post
I need to buy my first reverb and am similarly down to VVV or buying an iLok to use with this (similar price). So if you had to choose one of VVV and R2?
is that a trick question?
Old 7th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you already have a Focusrite Scarlett, Clarett, or Red interface?

If so, then the R2 is free this month. Even if you don't have an iLok dongle yet, you can register for a free iLok account and get the R2 license deposited in your account and get the dongle later. You'll need the dongle to use the R2 reverb, as Exponential Audio only allowes authorization with the iLok key. But at least it will be in your account.

R2 is an A1 professional level character reverb. And free this month for Focusrite owners. It's a no brainer.
Old 7th April 2017
Here for the gear

No trick Q. Sure, I'll keep the code, but if I have $50, and I want a reverb to use now, I have to choose between the two - buy VVV or buy an iLok.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No trick Q. Sure, I'll keep the code, but if I have $50, and I want a reverb to use now, I have to choose between the two - buy VVV or buy an iLok.
Gosh I love this Focusrite give away! I downloaded R2 and I'd say that it is better at fitting the mix without eq or tweaking than VVV. It sounds very very close to a hardwareLexicon PCM81. I am very impressed. I think I found my new go-to reverb.

Last edited by numero6; 10th April 2017 at 09:16 PM..
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
For the owners of Focusrite audio interfaces this month only:

Free Exponential Audio R2 reverb!

https://uk.focusrite.com/plugin-collective

Thanks Focusrite!
Wow this is the first time i heard of this promo. I wish I would have known when the SurferEQ 2 was up.

Anyways thanks for the heads up!
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak View Post
Wow this is the first time i heard of this promo. I wish I would have known when the SurferEQ 2 was up.

Anyways thanks for the heads up!
SurferEQ was a lite version, not the full one

But this month is the best month yet imho, I can't believe we get R2 for free. It truly is a top notch reverb. Its VST3 version is also very well implemented and stops using CPU when the reverb isn't in use (which is actually my favourite feature of the reverb, hehe).

Please guys, get your hands on this. Yes, it's worth owning an iLok for this plugin along with Relab's LX480 (which is imho the finest software reverb ever).
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Damn am i going to have to buy an ikok now lol!

These promotions are amazing - thanks for sharing!
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Damn am i going to have to buy an ikok now lol!

These promotions are amazing - thanks for sharing!
With a username like Reverb, you'll love it, hehehe

You can actually grab the plugin now without an iLok just to ensure you don't miss out. Just create an iLok account, installed iLok License Manager, and enter the code in the app to add the plugin to your account before the offer expires.

When you decide to grab an iLok, you can then just drag and drop the license to your dongle.

Oh and seriously, demo LX480 while you're at it. It's a 1:1 replica of the Lexicon 480L which most (including me) regard as one of the best reverbs ever.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
That's a no brainer. Get the VVV for $50. At the same time get the R2 license for free. VVV will always be at least $50. Use VVV and wait until Exponential Audio gets rid of the dongle requirement (because they will eventually).

And by the way: I love Focusrite and their monthly software giveaways. I have an old Saffire Pro 40 and qualify too.
Old 8th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemeister View Post
That's a no brainer. Get the VVV...
I see what you're saying about having both for $50 in the long run (if you're right about the iLok requirement going), but I'm not so sure the logic of the decision is that straightforward. Let's say for the sake of argument they got rid of the iLok requirement in two years time. Then with my $50 I have a choice to use one or the other of the two reverbs over that period. So it really depends how close VVV is to R2 in quality. Lots of threads have people saying it punches well above its weight compared to its cost, but ideally people who have used both would chime in.

I have demo'd VVV and like it very much, but there's no demo for R2 without iLok so no easy comparison.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see what you're saying about having both for $50 in the long run (if you're right about the iLok requirement going), but I'm not so sure the logic of the decision is that straightforward. Let's say for the sake of argument they got rid of the iLok requirement in two years time. Then with my $50 I have a choice to use one or the other of the two reverbs over that period. So it really depends how close VVV is to R2 in quality. Lots of threads have people saying it punches well above its weight compared to its cost, but ideally people who have used both would chime in.

I have demo'd VVV and like it very much, but there's no demo for R2 without iLok so no easy comparison.

After a day of using R2 I have to say R2 is a step up from VVV. This coming from a long time Valhalla fan and owner of almost all of their plugins. R2 blends better with the source right off the bat. VVV takes a little processing to blend as nicely as R2 does.

It's still early but I can see R2 becoming my new primary reverb.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
R2 blends better with the source right off the bat. VVV takes a little processing to blend as nicely as R2 does.
This has been exactly my experience as well.

I love the Valhalla reverbs and probably use Plate the most. But between VVV and R2, I would say R2.
Old 8th April 2017
Quote:
R2 blends better with the source right off the bat. VVV takes a little processing to blend as nicely as R2 does.
Exactly. All the EA products require way less eqing ,compression etc. than other fx. They have a natural clarity but can be featured at the same time. a delicate balance.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
I tend to agree. I feel that Relab, Exponential Audio (and probably the Lexicon PCM) reverbs are simply the best of the best. I too am a VVV owner and love it, but tend to agree that these 3 manufacturers are just that little step up from the ValhallaDSP reverbs. This mostly comes in the form of depth and 3D feeling of the reverbs.

Of course, this is Gearslutz, so we just say buy both! I really like the Smooth and NonLin algorithms in VVV, it's worth having. Although these days I don't find myself using it as much with my LX480 and now R2. YMMV though

Just be sure to create an iLok account and claim the plugin if nothing else. You can always buy a dongle later. Oh and I highly doubt these companies will move away from iLok sadly. It's the only way they can truly protect themselves from piracy these days :(
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Has anyone else had a problem activating the license for this? During installation of R2 I tried to activate the license but there was some sort of error (it wouldn't let me move it to my ilok, and yes I have a physical ilok2). I've since tried to activate the license in my DAW at startup (Logic prompts for this at launch every time now), and in the ilok license manager but it keeps saying that there are no more activations. It's as if whatever happened when I tried activate it during the installation used up my activation code without me getting a license. Any thoughts?
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear
The R2 only allows one activation, so perhaps it did activate onto your iLok somehow and therefore eat up that activation? It all worked pretty normally for me here to be honest. I added the code, chose my iLok and can now see it's been activated on my iLok. It loads normally in Cubase.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Ok, I figured out what went wrong. Apparently I have 2 ilok accounts and I didn't know it. Part of the reason I didn't know it is because they are attached to the same email address (I have never heard of a company that lets you create multiple accounts with the same email address). So I foolishly deposited the license on my account that doesn't have a physical ilok associated with it. I haven't activated the license yet so hopefully pace can do something for me seeing as how this was obviously just a dumb mistake. Sorry to derail this thread with ilok shenanigans when the point is that this is a very cool thing focusrite is doing!
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
Ok, I figured out what went wrong. Apparently I have 2 ilok accounts and I didn't know it. Part of the reason I didn't know it is because they are attached to the same email address (I have never heard of a company that lets you create multiple accounts with the same email address). So I foolishly deposited the license on my account that doesn't have a physical ilok associated with it. I haven't activated the license yet so hopefully pace can do something for me seeing as how this was obviously just a dumb mistake. Sorry to derail this thread with ilok shenanigans when the point is that this is a very cool thing focusrite is doing!
Ah, that makes sense (from your end) ... not on iLok's end, that is indeed silly.

Perhaps see if they can merge your two accounts into one to avoid confusion. They are pretty money driven though, I hope they don't ask you to pay for them to do this.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Speaking of ilok: is there a possibility of adding the license to my ilok account while not having a dongle? Judging from Local Man's post this should be possible...
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speaking of ilok: is there a possibility of adding the license to my ilok account while not having a dongle? Judging from Local Man's post this should be possible...
Nope. Physical iLok2 or iLok3 is required.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

It's worth mentioning that this offer is for Focusrite customers and is free. It appears that a few people are attempting to sell the license code to other people. We'll do a little account-matching when this is all over and there's the chance that those sold licenses will stop working. So caveat emptor.
Old 9th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
We'll do a little account-matching when this is all over and there's the chance that those sold licenses will stop working. So caveat emptor.
Huu ?? Focusrite should have warned before launching this. By the way it's a bit unproductive : those selling their licence won't use nor upgrade to R4. And what about those (like me) who had a focusrite audio card they never registred (and that died) ?
Not to mention i just bought R2 from someone and actually enjoy it.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Nope. Physical iLok2 or iLok3 is required.
Does that mean I HAVE to buy an iLok2/3 in the month of April and activate R2 on the dongle or I will lose the free license?

Last edited by Teemeister; 9th April 2017 at 11:28 PM..
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
SurferEQ was a lite version, not the full one

But this month is the best month yet imho, I can't believe we get R2 for free. It truly is a top notch reverb. Its VST3 version is also very well implemented and stops using CPU when the reverb isn't in use (which is actually my favourite feature of the reverb, hehe).

Please guys, get your hands on this. Yes, it's worth owning an iLok for this plugin along with Relab's LX480 (which is imho the finest software reverb ever).
There was a free Eventide reverb, too (2016?)... I already had it, but got a spare license (not to sell).

They gave the first items to software-only registrants like me... the free XLN piano of choice is the only full product I got that I didn't already have (I already had the grand, upright and electric, so the electric grand rounded out my collection).

Oh, and I ended up with the Novation station instruments somehow, as well... buggy when I tried them, though.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
There was a free Eventide reverb, too (2016?)... I already had it, but got a spare license (not to sell).

They gave the first items to software-only registrants like me... the free XLN piano of choice is the only full product I got that I didn't already have (I already had the grand, upright and electric, so the electric grand rounded out my collection).
I got the Eventide reverb too but I really dislike it. What do you find yourself using it for? I'm really a hall and plate reverb person I reckon.

But even as a room reverb, I really REALLY don't like its sound and am wondering what I'm missing
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does that mean I HAVE to buy an iLok2/3 in the month of April and activate R2 on the dongle or I will lose the free license?
No. You can redeem the license into your ilok account, then move it to an iLok when you get one.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search