The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Plugin Collective, Exponential Audio R2 Free this month
Old 10th April 2017
  #31
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
No. You can redeem the license into your ilok account, then move it to an iLok when you get one.
Great, that's what I wanted to hear!
Old 10th April 2017
  #32
Gear Maniac
I finally got this thing going after my little ilok SNAFU. What an absurd ordeal. Of course ilok wanted to charge me to resolve the situation but luckily both Focusrite and Exponential Audio were amazing in terms of both support and customer service so I didn't have to go down that route. The complete awfulness of Pace/ilok has been well documented here so I'm not even going to waste my keystrokes, but less well reported on is how awesome a company Focusrite is. From my experience they have great products at great prices, and I can now say I have received great support and customer service (and to resolve an issue that wasn't even really their problem, when the company who was the problem was slow to respond, offered no solutions, and tried to make money off of the issue). And on top of all that they have these awesome, unexpected extras like the plugin collective. Also, again kudos to Exponential Audio for an extremely quick response and a no nonsense satisfying solution. And by the way, the R2 sounds absolutely amazing, I love it already and envision using it a ton. It's great to see that there are excellent companies that are customer focused and have great products to balance out the vultures and parasites in the industry like Pace/ilok. Shout out to Diego at Focusrite and Michael at Exponential Audio for the awesome service. Thanks guys.
Old 10th April 2017
  #33
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
I finally got this thing going after my little ilok SNAFU. What an absurd ordeal. Of course ilok wanted to charge me to resolve the situation but luckily both Focusrite and Exponential Audio were amazing in terms of both support and customer service so I didn't have to go down that route. The complete awfulness of Pace/ilok has been well documented here so I'm not even going to waste my keystrokes, but less well reported on is how awesome a company Focusrite is. From my experience they have great products at great prices, and I can now say I have received great support and customer service (and to resolve an issue that wasn't even really their problem, when the company who was the problem was slow to respond, offered no solutions, and tried to make money off of the issue). And on top of all that they have these awesome, unexpected extras like the plugin collective. Also, again kudos to Exponential Audio for an extremely quick response and a no nonsense satisfying solution. And by the way, the R2 sounds absolutely amazing, I love it already and envision using it a ton. It's great to see that there are excellent companies that are customer focused and have great products to balance out the vultures and parasites in the industry like Pace/ilok. Shout out to Diego at Focusrite and Michael at Exponential Audio for the awesome service. Thanks guys.


... and this chaos is why I'm hoping companies will drop the dongle requirement (Michael, are you listening? ).
Old 11th April 2017
  #34
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
I finally got this thing going after my little ilok SNAFU. What an absurd ordeal. Of course ilok wanted to charge me to resolve the situation but luckily both Focusrite and Exponential Audio were amazing in terms of both support and customer service so I didn't have to go down that route. The complete awfulness of Pace/ilok has been well documented here so I'm not even going to waste my keystrokes, but less well reported on is how awesome a company Focusrite is. From my experience they have great products at great prices, and I can now say I have received great support and customer service (and to resolve an issue that wasn't even really their problem, when the company who was the problem was slow to respond, offered no solutions, and tried to make money off of the issue). And on top of all that they have these awesome, unexpected extras like the plugin collective. Also, again kudos to Exponential Audio for an extremely quick response and a no nonsense satisfying solution. And by the way, the R2 sounds absolutely amazing, I love it already and envision using it a ton. It's great to see that there are excellent companies that are customer focused and have great products to balance out the vultures and parasites in the industry like Pace/ilok. Shout out to Diego at Focusrite and Michael at Exponential Audio for the awesome service. Thanks guys.
I have found Focusrite support to be awesome too, they are really lovely guys. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Michael on a support case but I don't doubt his commitment to his work too incredible reverb and I will seriously be considering purchasing R4 when the 50% off deal is made available (even though I own plenty of top end reverbs already). The VST3 optimisation alone makes it a worthy consideration since none of my reverbs implement that!

One silly question, is there a way to get a very long reverb time, say > 30 seconds?
Old 11th April 2017
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
I got the Eventide reverb too but I really dislike it. What do you find yourself using it for? I'm really a hall and plate reverb person I reckon.

But even as a room reverb, I really REALLY don't like its sound and am wondering what I'm missing
It's not very versatile, but I've found a few sweet spot settings that I like for certain drums.

I've never used the hardware, but the 2016 stereo room has an addional hardware vibe to it that other more versatile reverb plug-ins don't seem to have.

Also, the position and diffusion parameters make quite a difference.
Old 11th April 2017
  #36
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
It's not very versatile, but I've found a few sweet spot settings that I like for certain drums.

I've never used the hardware, but the 2016 stereo room has an addional hardware vibe to it that other more versatile reverb plug-ins don't seem to have.

Also, the position and diffusion parameters make quite a difference.
Cool, thanks a lot for your reply! I'll give it another try on drums.

On another note, I've been playing with R2 A LOT since getting it with the Focusrite freebie deal and honestly, I'm absolutely blown away!!! I think that an R4 purchase at 50% off is absolutely on the table.

R2 has a degree of character I don't think I've heard in most software reverbs. You can actually create some cool artefacts by pushing up the rate of modulation which sound awesome on certain sounds. It is just so deep and airy too, I'm starting to reach for it every time I need a lush reverb on anything. But on orchestral instruments it works really great too.

I would have to put this and LX480 at the very top tier of reverbs I've ever used and heard without a doubt.

Try out the attached preset for some huge lushness (sorry I had to ZIP it as Gearslutz doesn't allow XML files). Load up NI Kinetic Metal (if you have it) and you'll be there for hours
Attached Files
Old 11th April 2017
  #37
Lives for gear
Old 14th April 2017
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
I couldn't find any good shaped, balanced Hall or Chamber, or room.
Here is few from my collection.(internal xml presets attached)

For sharing

Edit: Now we have 8 presets.
Attached Files

Last edited by Den; 14th April 2017 at 11:08 AM..
Old 14th April 2017
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
For users of R2 on Mac:

Please be careful with R2 in Logic X because there is a bug.
When using R2 from buss like send effect if you have a mono channel that is routed to R2 on the buss it will work mono with some weird phases.

The same problem has Reverbical because those plugins that was made in Juice have that problem in Logic Pro X only. Solution is to put some stereo plugin like Gain before R2 on the buss, and on this way problem will be solved.

Just to mention.
Old 14th April 2017
  #40
Lives for gear
 
A Fak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
For users of R2 on Mac:

Please be careful with R2 in Logic X because there is a bug.
When using R2 from buss like send effect if you have a mono channel that is routed to R2 on the buss it will work mono with some weird phases.

The same problem has Reverbical because those plugins that was made in Juice have that problem in Logic Pro X only. Solution is to put some stereo plugin like Gain before R2 on the buss, and on this way problem will be solved.

Just to mention.
Thanks for the heads up and the presets!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #41
Lives for gear
I honestly absolutely love R2 but I just noticed that LX480 by Relab (which is at the same level in terms of quality) allows computer iLok authorization. So this leaves R2 as the only plugin I own that forces me to own an iLok.

As much as I adore it, I'm starting to wonder if I will just switch back to using LX480 to save myself a USB port

Is there any chance we'll see computer authorization for Exponential Audio plugins? All my other plugins also allow 2 authorizations while Exponential Audio only allows 1, which is a huge shame as this could make it easier to get up and working if your iLok dies without buying ZDT.

Last edited by fgimian; 4 weeks ago at 03:18 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #42
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
Is there any chance we'll see computer authorization for Exponential Audio plugins?
+1
Old 4 weeks ago
  #43
Lives for gear
 
comfortablynick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
As much as I adore it, I'm starting to wonder if I will just switch back to using LX480 to save myself a USB port
Lol. You are going to give up using one of the best reverbs available just to save a USB port? I would still have an iLok if only for Exponential Audio products. But I have many others that still require the hardware, such as Kush, Sly-Fi, and Slate.

Plus, LX480 =/= R2. They are two different reverbs. LX480 can't do what R2 does, and R2 can't do what LX480 does. I do love LX480 but I find R2 has a much more useful interface allowing me to dial in the sound much more quickly. But if I want the old Random Hall sound, I still need LX480.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
Is there any chance we'll see computer authorization for Exponential Audio plugins? All my other plugins also allow 2 authorizations while Exponential Audio only allows 1, which is a huge shame as this could make it easier to get up and working if your iLok dies without buying ZDT.
Michael has said he has no plans to implement computer authorization because it is still not as robust as the hardware dongle. The new LiquidSonics reverb is the same way, for the same reason.

Regarding allowing 2 dongle authorizations per account, I would be curious as to the reason not to do this. Looking through my iLok account, Exponential Audio is the only company out of the 50+ licenses I have that does not allow 2 activations. If they would change this, I guess I could use my iLok 2 at home and my iLok 3 at work instead of bringing it back and forth.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #44
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
Lol. You are going to give up using one of the best reverbs available just to save a USB port? I would still have an iLok if only for Exponential Audio products. But I have many others that still require the hardware, such as Kush, Sly-Fi, and Slate.

Plus, LX480 =/= R2. They are two different reverbs. LX480 can't do what R2 does, and R2 can't do what LX480 does. I do love LX480 but I find R2 has a much more useful interface allowing me to dial in the sound much more quickly. But if I want the old Random Hall sound, I still need LX480.

Michael has said he has no plans to implement computer authorization because it is still not as robust as the hardware dongle. The new LiquidSonics reverb is the same way, for the same reason.

Regarding allowing 2 dongle authorizations per account, I would be curious as to the reason not to do this. Looking through my iLok account, Exponential Audio is the only company out of the 50+ licenses I have that does not allow 2 activations. If they would change this, I guess I could use my iLok 2 at home and my iLok 3 at work instead of bringing it back and forth.
Yeah I do agree with everything you've said. I find R2 easier to dial in too and they do have their own sound. Both reverbs are the best of the best.

However, here's the way you COULD work if Exponential Audio did what Relab, Softube, Soundtoys and almost all other iLok-based companies do.

* You use your first authorization on an iLok dongle while in the studio which serves as your permanent way of using the product
* While out on the road, you leave your iLok at home, and temporarily use your second activation to activate the computer so you can work while out and about without risking loss of your iLok
* When you get home, you deactivate the compute authorization (in case your computer dies)

This is actually a suggestion the Relab guys gave me, and it makes the iLok methodology very flexible. But this only works with 2 authorizations and computer-based authorization.

If it's good enough for top companies like Soundtoys, Softube and Relab, all of which produce similarly high end products at high end prices, then I see no reason at all why Exponential Audio is more hostile towards its customers when it comes to licensing.

There is no doubt that LX480 Complete is at the same level as R2 and R4, and in fact, it is more expensive too.

But ultimately, this is Michael's call. I just think he's making a huge mistake by not allowing this.

The policy of NFR after resale is another killer with Exponential Audio products.

Sound is one thing, but feeling as though you are being treated unfairly as a customer is another.

But anyway, I've said my piece. I'm not sure if others agree, but this reason alone is preventing me from even considering the R4 upgrade.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #45
Here for the gear
 
BadYodeler's Avatar
 

Old 4 weeks ago
  #46
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
Michael has said he has no plans to implement computer authorization because it is still not as robust as the hardware dongle. The new LiquidSonics reverb is the same way, for the same reason.
There must be a reason for the increasing number of developers moving away from hardware based copy protection. Hint: They are winning more customers over than they are losing due to cracks.
I might have purchased the discounted R4 because it's based on the allegedly great R2 algo. Not going to happen though.
Other developers have been doing great without dongles for a long time. U-He and FabFilter are some examples.

Anyway, thanks for the free R2 license.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 
comfortablynick's Avatar
 

I agree that the software iLok protection seems reasonable, but I don't depend on copy protection for my livelihood. I'm sure there are a good number of people who say, "Too bad! I would've bought this if it weren't iLok!" who really wouldn't buy it anyway. Adding to that, some developers may have predominantly pro users who can't afford to take a moral stance against iLok -- they may have to use ProTools and therefore have a dongle anyway. I suspect Exponential Audio is in that category, but I don't know for sure.

R4 is a truly fantastic reverb, and the best out there currently IMO. Since it was mentioned on this thread, I would like 2 licenses to be able to use 2 iLoks. Maybe Michael will consider that.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #48
I cant get this to show in logic 9?? the component is where it should be... Ive registered it to ilok2. Is it because im on logic9 and os 10.9.5??
I d love to use this reverb im only too aware of who developed it
Old 4 weeks ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Just in the past month, I purchased Softube's Volume 1 & the Soundtoys bundle, both of which I would not have considered in a dongle was still required.

Last year, I purchased Metric Halo & Eventide -- and even Sonivox & AIR. I would not have considered their products if a dongle was required.

If companies only want to focus on what some have been referring to as the Pro Segment, by all means continue. However, the overall market is much larger; you can still choose to use the dongle if need be. In fact, to not offer both options does not seem like a good business decision. Apple well stated its position over two decades ago in a memo entitled, 'Vintage Apple memos refer to dongles as ‘a case of the cure being worse than the disease’ -- https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/23/apple...1979-and-1980/

There was no question Logic Pro was no longer going to be sold on a dongle when Apple acquired Emagic. The same would have been the case if Jobs had his way with AVID, at least for solutions not involving HW.

The only sort of dongle that makes any sense -- and it's not technically a dongle regardless -- is something akin to what UAD provides given useful HW is one of the main selling points, in this case a pretty good Audio Interface. Some colloquially refer to Macs as dongles of sorts -- but again the main value proposition is a good user experience on decent HW, not a barrier to entry. I'm afraid HW dongles do present a barrier to many users, and buyers are responding accordingly. Wasting a port on modern machines does not make sense in today's world.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #50
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Just in the past month, I purchased Softube's Volume 1 & the Soundtoys bundle, both of which I would not have considered in the dongle was still required.

Last year, I purchased Metric Halo & Eventide -- and even Sonivox & AIR. I would not have considered their products if the dongle was required.
I absolutely agree, and I am in the same position.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Michael Carnes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev herb View Post
I cant get this to show in logic 9?? the component is where it should be... Ive registered it to ilok2. Is it because im on logic9 and os 10.9.5??
I d love to use this reverb im only too aware of who developed it
Make sure you're running Logic9 as 64-bit. Click on it in the Finder and then run Get Info. You'll see a choice for 32 or 64 in the info panel.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #52
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Apple well stated its position over two decades ago in a memo entitled, 'Vintage Apple memos refer to dongles as ‘a case of the cure being worse than the disease’ -- https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/23/apple...1979-and-1980/

There was no question Logic Pro was no longer going to be sold on a dongle when Apple acquired Emagic. The same would have been the case if Jobs had his way with AVID, at least for solutions not involving HW.
Using Apple as an example of why a dongle should not be required is just about the worst example you can use, considering that their dongle is a $3,000 computer that you have to buy to use their software.

It's a developer's right to chose how they want to protect their software. If you don't like the way they chose, you don't have to use that software.

I have my issues with PACE and the iLok system, but it's way easier to use than having to input a challenge/response or use an integrated software installer/authorizer or having to have a separate authorization code for every plugin in your system. Being able to keep all your authorizations in one place and just install them makes it way easier to deal with. (and now that we have the ZDT and TLC having all your eggs in one basket isn't quite as bad of a proposition).

Michael makes some of the best plugins for audio production on the market. If you want to use his software then oblige him using the protection method that he prefers. Otherwise move on to something else.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #53
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
It's a developer's right to chose how they want to protect their software. If you don't like the way they chose, you don't have to use that software.

I have my issues with PACE and the iLok system, but it's way easier to use than having to input a challenge/response or use an integrated software installer/authorizer or having to have a separate authorization code for every plugin in your system. Being able to keep all your authorizations in one place and just install them makes it way easier to deal with. (and now that we have the ZDT and TLC having all your eggs in one basket isn't quite as bad of a proposition).

Michael makes some of the best plugins for audio production on the market. If you want to use his software then oblige him using the protection method that he prefers. Otherwise move on to something else.
I know you are replying to another user (that of course will speak for himself), but I would just point out that it may be useful for the developer himself to know that a certain number of potential customers are kept away by the protection system alone. I'm personally higly favourable to PACE computer-based auth (for the reasons that you have mentioned), and I own a lot of software that use that system. I just avoid the physical dongle.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #54
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
I know you are replying to another user (that of course will speak for himself), but I would just point out that it may be useful for the developer himself to know that a certain number of potential customers are kept away by the protection system alone. I'm personally higly favourable to PACE computer-based auth (for the reasons that you have mentioned), and I own a lot of software that use that system. I just avoid the physical dongle.
I'm happy you spoke for me and concur. I'm not certain the other chap read my initial post regardless, as I addressed his first point previously in that Mac is an ecosystem. The machines, solely or partially, are by no means dongles that serve no other purpose.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Make sure you're running Logic9 as 64-bit. Click on it in the Finder and then run Get Info. You'll see a choice for 32 or 64 in the info panel.
Thanks for the response! so can it not run 32bit as thats still what im running on a late 2008 imac with 4gb RAM. I know my system is old and i intend to get it sorted soon but if till then say i cant run it will the licence be mine still now i have registered it on my ilok?

Thanks
kev
Old 3 weeks ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Michael Carnes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev herb View Post
Thanks for the response! so can it not run 32bit as thats still what im running on a late 2008 imac with 4gb RAM. I know my system is old and i intend to get it sorted soon but if till then say i cant run it will the licence be mine still now i have registered it on my ilok?

Thanks
kev
Hi Kev,
You should be able to run Logic in 64-bit on your iMac. It's an easy enough experiment to try. In any case, your R2 license is good and will still be good when you get around to upgrading your machine.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Midnight Oil Audio's Avatar
Thanks for creating this thread! Normally I catch those Focusrite emails but somehow missed this one. R2 is great!
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump