The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USB-C, Thunderbolt, Firewire 400 Audio Interfaces
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Nut

USB-C, Thunderbolt, Firewire 400

So the iMac that I use for DAW (among other things) is a mid 2010 2.93ghz i7/16GB/1TB HD. I use a TC Desktop Konnekt 6 firewire interface. I like that the feature set is about right for me (2 inputs, decent mic pres, desktop form factor). Also getting the recording digital I/O off the USB buss seemed to cut way down on problems while recording. I'd rate the converter quality somewhere in the middle. Not quite as good as Apogee but quite a bit better than Scarlett and Audiobox quality.

I'd like to upgrade my iMac 27 to a retina with 32GB RAM. Currently, it comes with a Thunderbolt port and a firewire adapter cable is available. By all accounts that seems to work as advertised.

But today I hear of new iMac models being introduced later in the year. By all accounts these will strictly be USB-C devices.

So the question for me is, do I upgrade now so that I can keep my audio interface, or wait, bite the bullet and upgrade both my computer and my audio interface later in the year?

I'm definitely a low end bottom feeder sort of guy. I just need a setup good enough to record some decent demos, and listen to hi-res audio. I do really appreciate good converters. The Apogee Duet seems like a likely solution, I just hate the whole cable mess that it entails. But I do love the quality of the converters. Also, I'm not a big plugin guy, so the Apollo stuff seems like overkill to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search