The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Second MacBook as a second display? Control Surfaces
Old 4th April 2017
Here for the gear
Second MacBook as a second display?

Hello,

I currently use a Late 2013 MacBook Pro a my main computer (for everything really) but have got my old MacBook Air which is mid 2011 I think.

The MacBook Air battery does not work so has to always to plugged in.

I was just wondering on ways to put it to work? Could I use Ableton Link to I can use the second one as a dual display or even create some kind of Remote Desktop as? They would be connected via Wifi at the moment but if something can work I'm happy to buy some adaptors for both and connect via ethernet.

If there is not a possibility of the above could I cannot the old MacBook Air into the router and also connect my 3TB HD into and use that to hold my sample packs, iTunes music etc or would it being a wifi connection not work for the packs and samples due to being over wifi?

Like I mentioned I just would like to put it to some work while using my main MacBook Pro connected to my Ableton Push, midi controller etc

Thank you
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Head

Sometimes trying to repurpose something takes more effort than it's worth.
One Possibility though is if you can use more Ableton live "power" you could load the demo Ableton Live on the MB Air, load sessions there and slave it to your MBpro via midi even. Control surfaces for the slave would be seperate which could be useful if you collarobate live with a partner.
I don't think the MBair of that vintage does target disk. But with VE pro you could put some instruments on the MB air which would help a little with relieving the MBpro CPU, but not as much as using a 2nd computer more powerful than the MBAir. It takes a bit of time to configure and learn Setting up VE pro, saving on two computers etc.

Someone else might have ideas i.e. remote desktop that might be more useful.
Old 5th April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unheard80s.com View Post
Sometimes trying to repurpose something takes more effort than it's worth.
One Possibility though is if you can use more Ableton live "power" you could load the demo Ableton Live on the MB Air, load sessions there and slave it to your MBpro via midi even. Control surfaces for the slave would be seperate which could be useful if you collarobate live with a partner.
I don't think the MBair of that vintage does target disk. But with VE pro you could put some instruments on the MB air which would help a little with relieving the MBpro CPU, but not as much as using a 2nd computer more powerful than the MBAir. It takes a bit of time to configure and learn Setting up VE pro, saving on two computers etc.

Someone else might have ideas i.e. remote desktop that might be more useful.
Thank you for replying. I might just go when the route of using it as a home server and purchase a second external hard drive. I can them use that to stream media and also use the time machine backup for my main laptop being the pro.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search