The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Backing up to HDD Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear
Backing up to HDD

Hi! I know i should have backups or "archive" on 2 different places all times. Even the cloud only can't be trusted as history has shown (servers goind down, deleting everyhting).

I'm not even going to bother with those as it's much cheaper to get HDD nowdays.

Looking at the external cases i one point thought that why get one, when internal hdd is half the price. I'm not going to switch them on very often, once/twice a year.
If i just get two of these

HD 3,5" SATAIII 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 7200rpm 64MB

and when needed i can easily screw my workhorse open(no tools even needed) and plug the power/sata, then use it. Storing them in some dry safe place. How viable all this sounds and am i overlooking something?
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Head
Hi souljahh,

I am a backup fanatic. Over the course of 30 years, I've had numerous hard drives fail, and I've had what I thought was a good backup be bad. (More than once!) Oooooh noooo!

Today I make 2 backups of every computer. With Mac I use both Time Machine, and Carbon Copy Cloner, plus another drive to simply copy over the files I have crated. A separate drive for each. On Windows I create a drop and drag backup of my files, make a duplicate of that disc, and run a full disk image with CMS Products Back 2 Back.

I am now looking for something else in software, one that will make a complete native file clone of an HDD without needing to first create a disc image.

Instead of using an external case, which is a pain to open and change HDDs, I use one of these...

I use this with Windows from Win7 to Win 10. Can accept SATA and PATA 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With Mac I use this - works with SATA 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch. Just drop an HHD, or an SSD into the slot. Plug the thing into the computer, turn it on, and go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hmmm, I see Amazon is out of stock.

THis also worked fin in Win7, but in Win10 it gets a little glitchy, and when using 2 of them in Win10 to try to make a copy of a backup drive. So i bought 2 of the "Cool Gear" units, and they work fine in Win10.

There are many kinds at Amazon - like this...

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...C01AD2BA2MZ2FF

:- Don
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Maniac
I am removing all my internal SATA drives from the PC case. I made a small shelf for 4 drives. I run a 36" sata and power cable to the drives. When I back up I use the backup as the working drive so I know all is fine. My drives are hot swapable. All are 3.5" 2 TB drives.

3 Hard Drives: OS, projects, Content and samples.
My backup drives go to the Bank Vault.
I use my old IDE drives to backup my downloads, mostly programs.

I use the free "Mini tool partition Wizard". It also clones the C drive.

I hope to have the above working sometime this month.

Edit: I also had backup drives that had issues or simply failed.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post

workhorse open(no tools even needed) and plug the power/sata, then use it. Storing them in some dry safe place. How viable all this sounds and am i overlooking something?

That's what I do. In fact, I keep the outer cases off. Promotes a wonderful level of overall cooling as well as almost instantaneous connection access for external bare hard drives for backups.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

One of possibilities is the removal of hd inside pc with hot-swap bay it use the sata connector and have sata speed . Simply after the boot just push hd in bay and it is connected and pull it out to disconnect .
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Maniac
Often my hard drives are the same brand and model.
One time I got them confused and backed up (cloned) my drive with the
older folders into the drive that had the newer folders.

Any tips on how to avoid this from happening again?
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Gardiakos View Post
Often my hard drives are the same brand and model.
One time I got them confused and backed up (cloned) my drive with the
older folders into the drive that had the newer folders.

Any tips on how to avoid this from happening again?
I use a reliable method from the 1940s.... a little piece of paper scotch-taped to the top of the hard drive on which I've written what the drive is. Comes in handy when you have 16-17 bare hard drives around. As little use as they get (security backup images several times a year, safety hold of files etc), the little pieces of paper never fall off.

Also, I tend to make entire-drive backup images rather than clones. Much easier for opening the drive content, reading any notes made of what is what, seeing in plain English that there's one subfolder labelled "entire Daw computer brand x image- April 4 2017". Etc. No confusion there.

Plus a compressed image of any of my ENTIRE computers can be restored to a fresh unused drive in less than 10 minutes. So a separate clone drive (a real clone) isn't really all that useful for me as I don't need it in an Indy 500 pitstop time frame.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I use a reliable method from the 1940s

there were harddrives in the 40's?
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
there were harddrives in the 40's?
Of course there were thanks to Magic Alex's dad...

http://files.backblaze.com/blog_pics...irst-drive.jpg
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Of course there were thanks to Magic Alex's dad...

http://files.backblaze.com/blog_pics...irst-drive.jpg
well played sir!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search