The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Software Minimoog Shootout Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st April 2017
Here for the gear
Software Minimoog Shootout

I've posted a comparison of The Legend, Mini V3, Diva, Minimonsta and Monark vs a hardware Model D.

I'm looking at the raw sounds, and how close they come to my Model D, so not really taking additional facilities such as FX, polyphony, or CPU usage into account, It should come in useful for anyone considering purchasing a Minimoog VA to get the closest they can to the hardware itb.

It was a bit of a mammoth task as I use demo versions of Minimonsta Monark and The Legend which complicates matters somewhat.

As I'm looking at 6 instruments I had to edit this down to the most salient points, but think it gets to the essence of the characters of each.

Old 1st April 2017
Thanks for this video! Cool test!
Can you post raw files to test with some of my softsynths?
Old 2nd April 2017
Here for the gear
No problem, will do when I get a chance
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for making this video! I already own Minimonsta, but I downloaded Legend as a result of your test. Is it just me, or is the mod wheel slightly "on" on some of the presets? It seems like quite a few have the mod wheel on just a little. Also, how does the Glide function on the Legend compare to the MiniMoog?
Old 3rd April 2017
thanks a lot for making this instructive video !!
Old 7th April 2017
Monark sounds like a Minimoog, but doesn't play like one. It lacks the Mini's legato, so you can't do cool things like bass slides by doing a glissando. Very disappointing.
Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear
Model D Raw Sounds

Hi,

Here are the raw samples from the Model D - if you want to use them in a comparison yourself.

They were recorded directly into LPX via UAD Apollo - no preamps etc.

Let me know if you get any interesting results.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: aif Model D#01 Reso Harmonics.aif (1.77 MB, 22 views) File Type: aif Model D#02.aif (6.39 MB, 16 views) File Type: aif Model D#05 4th LPF.aif (8.29 MB, 17 views) File Type: aif Model D#06 Reso tuning.aif (7.21 MB, 25 views) File Type: aif Model D#07 Distortion.aif (4.49 MB, 24 views) File Type: aif Model D#03 1.aif (11.45 MB, 20 views) File Type: aif Model D#03 2.aif (14.49 MB, 22 views) File Type: aif Minimoog Shootout FM 2.aif (13.50 MB, 17 views)
Old 14th April 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarskeyCarr View Post
As I'm looking at 6 instruments I had to edit this down to the most salient points, but think it gets to the essence of the characters of each.
BTW, did Arturia update their synth engine in miniV for the V3 update?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search