The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Phoenix 2 still on top if the game? Saturation Plugins
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Nut

Phoenix 2 still on top if the game?

Hey folks!

I'm curious to know (as a friend of mine might sell his copy).
I already own RA and have been more than happy since. But as there are so many saturation plugs rising right now maybe there is an underdog I overlooked..
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Nut

Bump
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Addict
I've been trying it again with a new workflow since I wasn't that impressed with it when doing a lot of noticeable fader rides and sticking NLS on fx channels. Doing a lot of comparisons between McDsp AC202, VTM, J37, and Reelbus. Satin is in the mix too, but it uses so much cpu that I usually just stick it as a last insert on the master fader unless I've got Abbey Road vinyl or Peacock there. Phoenix is really unique. It seems to beef up the sound more than the others and does a better job at compressing high frequencies. It's very, very difficult to make it sound bad. The color options are also quite useful. It's possible to get a good result with the others, but they don't do the same thing. CPU use is best with AC202, but Phoenix only uses a tad more. On my Z800 with two x5670 processors, hyperthreading on, other pro tools optimizations, and running sessions at 96k, the cpu is about 2% with AC202, 3-4% with Phoenix, 4-8% with VTM, and 8-13% with Satin. That's for mono instances and what pro tools reads with nothing else running but those plugs if I recall. I might've played a mono audio track too. Didn't test the Reelbus cpu. I did a stereo test that included J37 and it was 9-13%, so halve that for mono probably.

Peacock is similar to the Waves Abbey Road vinyl, but both do kinda the same thing. The dither on the Peacock provides more glue and cohesion and it compresses the highs more than the Waves. On a Ride the Lightning cover I did with the rock band tracks, my bounced files with Satin and then Peacock or Abbey Vinyl as the last master fader inserts, it sounded very similar to the needledrop I have of the Megaforce vinyl. When I've used Phoenix on all my tracks and fx auxes, I've found Satin is better on the master fader than another Phoenix. I'm hoping to try RA again later this month. I'd say Phoenix is absolutely worth the money if you like the sound, I haven't found anything else that does what it does. Even if I did, the cpu use might be much higher with a different product.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search