The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Benefits of leaving windows XP DAW Software
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
Just a note:

That DPC Latency Checker app pictured doesn't work in Windows 8 and 10, it will report completely wrong values.

A app that works in Win 10 is LatencyMon.

That is correct and do not have anything against newer os , it is very difficult to find newest XP compatible hard /software if there is any .The Z77 is one of the last XP official supported intel chip sets . And my Z77 circuit board is showing micro crackling around cpu base so could be forced to move out of XP .
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

I dont really undestand what some of you are going on XP being less of a resource hog since it's not like fast computers are expensive these days..

I don't personally have Cortanna installed.
Old 1st April 2017
If your computer is that old that your using XP, it's time to upgrade your computer. Windows 10 requires more ram and power to run. Join the Intel I7 family and just get a computer with Windows 10 Pro
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedbeats View Post
windows 10 is unacceptable for use with a daw .
microsoft refuse to admit there is a problem.
some microsoft engineers come to this site and claim there expertise and should be ashamed of them selves.

cortanna can not be shut down and if you open task manager you will see many background tasks including cortanna slowing down your daw and causing cpu overload .
cortanna if forced to close will just re-launch herself.

microsoft don't care ,there engineers that frequent this site don't care,
but prefer to lie their way out of it,rather then admit this sucks!!

microsoft sort it out,enough of your bs excuses ,,,give us a daw mode that reduces your background tasks and c.i.a/g.c.h.q spyware,,so we can make music
without our machines maxing out .

then when the daws off reboot the uneeded cortanna and other spyware systems built into win 10.....

anything else microsoft is bs........
I agree stuff like Cortana should be able to be shut down if wanted. Maybe the new 'game mode' in the Creator version will shut down some of the the stubborn background processes?

However, to say it's not suitable to run a DAW is just either silly or naive. Hundreds of us here and probably millions worldwide are using it to run a DAW just fine. I've never had a more stable capable system and I have no problem using Win10 with Cubase 9. I can't even remember the last time it crashed for example. All DAWs are traditionally prone to crashing due to how much third party code they need to interact with, but Cubase 9 has been welcomingly solid IME.

If the issue is your system maxing out then that doesn't mean that's the case for everyone does it? What you are really saying is that that it's unsuitable for you to run your particular DAW and plugins etc, in part because of Windows background program overheads, and partly because your system isn't up to the job.

Rather than get no music made due to you maxing out your CPU too much, you should really just bite the bullet and get a more powerful PC. Microsoft can't be expected to cater to every eventuality on every old system forever anyway, so OS background processing and RAM usage will always increase.

Which DAW do you use?
Old 2nd April 2017
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
I agree stuff like Cortana should be able to be shut down if wanted.
Cortana can be shut off in 10 Pro using Group Policy.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
I dont really undestand what some of you are going on XP being less of a resource hog since it's not like fast computers are expensive these days..
Indeed. The resource difference between XP and 10 are insignificant compared to the resources many plugins for example use.

Quote:
I don't personally have Cortanna installed.
Yeah I did the regedit to disable it along with anything else I didn't need, not that it would make a much difference on a fast system like mine.

What I did find out very recently though is that changing my AMD GPU to 'Optimize for performance' rather than the default of 'Balanced' really improved my DAW performance. I've happily running my usual template which has most the plugins I use already loaded etc at 96ms buffer and i'm getting no crackles or drop outs.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
Cortana can be shut off in 10 Pro using Group Policy.
I'm using home so no Group Policy. The best I can do is disable it with a regedit rather than shut it off completely, but that's fine as it's pretty much the same thing in practice.

Has anyone heard if this new 'game mode' will benefit us DAW users?
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Only thing you will miss is jitter-less, sample tight midi
Old 2nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
If your computer is that old that your using XP, it's time to upgrade your computer. Windows 10 requires more ram and power to run. Join the Intel I7 family and just get a computer with Windows 10 Pro
I don't find my Win XP 32 bit quad-core DAW's with only 4 GB installed ram, to be any less useful than my powerful Win 7 64 bit 12-core DAW with 48 GB installed ram. It really depends on what you're doing with them though. I certainly don't need, or want Win 10.
Not saying anyone should go out and buy or build a Win XP based DAW PC these days, but if you already have one, it's doing what you need, it's still useful.

As for Win 10 supposing to be more secure, it's a laugh... I have nothing but troubles with Win 10 on my internet notebook BECAUSE it's on-line, while my Win XP & Win 7 64 bit DAW's are never on-line, do not have any virus protection, and firewalls disabled, yet never have issues.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Look what os is used https://valid.x86.fr/records.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search