The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital owners won't get any free updates anymore?
Old 30th March 2017
Slate Digital owners won't get any free updates anymore?

Am I the only one feeling that Slate plugin owners get slapped in the face with Slate's "No free Updates" policy? See https://goo.gl/3Uo7GE

FG-X still crashes and is pretty useless. Slate is very kind to the subscribers but the customers that bought his stuff seem very unlucky...
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital owners won't get any free updates anymore?-slate.png  
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Addict
Just like the old days of software, no updates :/ However.. Devils advocate- Software doesn't 'start failing' on its own. Something else within your system changed and caused the problem.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear
I've got some of his plugins and feel very disappointed by this.
Old 30th March 2017
He gave his word about the free update to FG-X v2 to everyone, so he will be forced to it, no matters what his website says, been written is like a contract with the consumer.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Just like he gave his word that his SSD drum samples would entitle you to free updates for life for his drum sample product, then he went and packaged it all into a new product which you had to buy. Annoyed me. I voiced my frustration back at the time and he PM'ed me years back to say he'd sort me out - never did. He argued that SSD4 was a new product, I suppose it was, but it was also a way to wriggle out of having to honour his lifetime free updates promise.

Once bitten...

He's a marketing machine.

Nice products though, but I've got rid of all mine - each promo feels like snake oil, glad I did reading this thread.

I might join the subscription model one day though.
Old 30th March 2017
Sounds to me like preliminary estimates on profit from the subscription service business model....maybe not what they expected? I dunno, I have a few Slate plugins that I purchased a few years back....I haven't used the subscription deal though. If I was just starting out though, and had plans on becoming a mixing engineer......a couple hundo a year seems not bad.....if indeed the updates WERE free.

He can do this though. If you go over to the "Music Computers" subforum, there is fan boi-itis for Slate there, akin to Roland fan boi-itis here. They will make excuses to no end, as to why this is okay, IMO.
Old 30th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
He can do this though. If you go over to the "Music Computers" subforum, there is fan boi-itis for Slate there, akin to Roland fan boi-itis here. They will make excuses to no end, as to why this is okay, IMO.
Yes, I call them "xxx paladins" , being xxx replaced by the hyped brand of the moment (Slate, Roland, Amphion and a long etc). Fight them is like fight a wall, you will never be right and your point of view won't be accepted.
Old 30th March 2017
< moderator message - moved to appropriate forum >
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Really don't care about paying for updates but the FGX crackles and is useless for my needs. He should at least get us a plugin that works before we have to pay for updates.
Old 30th March 2017
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys. Slate Digital started making products in 2008, almost ten years ago. In that time we've had some significant updates like Virtual Console Collection 2.0, but we did not charge for them. The Slate Drums company completely re-coded TRIGGER from the ground up, and yet, TRIGGER 2.0 was also a free update. FG-X 2.0 has literally been YEARS in the making, which equates to hundreds of thousands of dollars of development fees (yes this stuff isn't cheap to make). It will be FREE.

However, we cannot guarantee that all updates to plugins will always be free. If there are some major feature upgrades with new algorithms or new OS tweaks that cost us a lot of development money, we may have to require small update fees if you bought individual plugins (Everything Bundle folks are not charged as long as they are members).

So I don't find some of these comments to be fair, because it paints the picture of Slate being greedy simply for opening up the possibility of paid updates in the future, when I think a case can be made for the opposite. We always aim to be extremely fair and respectful to our customers.

Kellyd, FG-X is a great plugin, but it can be tricky if you're not sure of how all the controls interact. Here is a video where I give an in depth mastering tutorial, raising the mix to competitive levels without dynamically altering the mix, and I specifically address how to make sure there are no crackles/distortion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hA3pJAETQ

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Slate; 30th March 2017 at 04:48 PM..
Old 30th March 2017
All we need now is a true pay per use model - where you are charged for actual use of the plugin, per hour or minute, so if you are not using them for a while, you pay nothing.. Only joking.

Sure the current monthly only model fulfils that to a significant extent. Not too bad I guess, $25 bucks for that special month when you need them..

I do admire Slate for their advances in the audio technology business, something new, interesting and value for money in all their products, even though I do not use any of their products myself as i have alternatives that I've paid for.

Sure the advertising is a bit over the top - shock and awe... But it is good to have a market player who keeps all others on their toes, and has been instrumental to making what is really good sounding kit, available to almost anyone with a keen interest in digital audio.

No half measure with Slate.

Sad to have to resort to charging for lifetime updates.....AS I prefer the purchase and own model forever.

But at least in his case he hints at a small fee for these. Let's hope this remains so.

Compare with Logic Pro X which charges another $199 for either updates or 1st time purchases. Same fee - no reductions for loyal customers. Surprisingly there has not as much of a hue and cry about this unprecedented pricing strategy, as one would have anticipated.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi guys. Slate Digital started making products in 2008, almost ten years ago. In that time we've had some significant updates like Virtual Console Collection 2.0, but we did not charge for them. The Slate Drums company completely re-coded TRIGGER from the ground up, and yet, TRIGGER 2.0 was also a free update. FG-X 2.0 has literally been YEARS in the making, which equates to hundreds of thousands of dollars of development fees (yes this stuff isn't cheap to make). It will be FREE.

However, we cannot guarantee that all updates to plugins will always be free. If there are some major feature upgrades with new algorithms or new OS tweaks that cost us a lot of development money, we may have to require small update fees if you bought individual plugins (Everything Bundle folks are not charged as long as they are members).

So I don't find some of these comments to be fair, because it paints the picture of Slate being greedy simply for opening up the possibility of paid updates in the future, when I think a case can be made for the opposite. We always aim to be extremely fair and respectful to our customers.

Kellyd, FG-X is a great plugin, but it can be tricky if you're not sure of how all the controls interact. Here is a video where I give an in depth mastering tutorial, raising the mix to competitive levels without dynamically altering the mix, and I specifically address how to make sure there are no crackles/distortion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hA3pJAETQ

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Steven
Do you mean payed updates (1.01) or upgrades (2.0) etc?
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Steven, in the 20yrs I've been engineering I've used about every mastering/brickwall available. I will have to agree with you, your plugin is tricky to get it to work without it internally clipping. For that reason I stopped using it. I'd rather adjust settings for end results than have to adjust settings just to manage the plugin so it doesn't clip. I've seen your video, I've read your docs and I understand how to use the plugin. It's just too touchy. I don't even master that hot compared to most projects out there. For that reason I started using Pro-L and have uninstalled your plugin. I'd rather eat what I payed for the plugin than have to deal with it. Too bad, love the metering and the constant gain monitoring features.
Old 30th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Do you mean payed updates (1.01) or upgrades (2.0) etc?
Fees would be for upgrades to major new versions. Updates and fixes are always free, and perhaps my web team should clarify that.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 30th March 2017
Thanks for your reply Steven - really appreciated!

Slate Digital knows two kind of customers: 1. Buyers and 2. Users.

An update that costs a lot to produce, is paid by the Buyers and is free for the Users, right?

Very important: I realize you are free to run your enterprise as you want! Just as I am free to choose to do my shopping elsewhere.

Several years ago I bought FG-X and somehow it crashes too often for all those years now. According to the interwebz I am not the only person with this problem.

My point is, I bought a product for 100% of the price. Unfortunately it doesn't work for a 100%. For many years you kept on promising the problems will be fixed in a next update. Still waiting - well that's problem #1 - and problem #2 is that you state that as a Buyer I have to pay for the product AGAIN.

Well I tell you: that is not going to happen. I am not going to pay twice for a product that should have worked properly in the first place.

Again: it's your company so you set up the policy, but as a Buyer I am not going to pay the repairs that Users will get for free.

Thank you!

Quote:
Hi guys. ----
Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 30th March 2017

Hi, there are currently zero tickets about FG-X crashes, nor are their known problems. Please contact support and let's get you some help. We stand by our products and are willing to give you whatever support you require.

Furthermore, as I said in my last post, FG-X 2.0 is built from the ground up and will be FREE for 1.x users like yourself.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 30th March 2017
Quote:
Fees would be for upgrades to major new versions. Updates and fixes are always free, and perhaps my web team should clarify that.
Thanks for that clarification. I was thrown off by the "updates" vs. "upgrades" language on the site as well. I don't expect free 1.x -> 2.x upgrades (although I certainly appreciate them!), but 1.x -> 1.y updates I generally expect to be free since they normally include bug fixes for things that were intended to work in the initially-purchased product.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, there are currently zero tickets about FG-X crashes, nor are their known problems. Please contact support and let's get you some help. We stand by our products and are willing to give you whatever support you require.

Furthermore, as I said in my last post, FG-X 2.0 is built from the ground up and will be FREE for 1.x users like yourself.

Cheers,
Steven
There might be no tickets about plug ins being independent of the rack too....
Old 31st March 2017
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Thank you!!!
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, there are currently zero tickets about FG-X crashes, nor are their known problems.
Hmmmm...

Just a reminder.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12340768-post609.html
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Because people have given up..................... and thank you, WHEN?
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
I have almost stopped using the plugins dependent on the rack (maybe on a track or a single bus across my mixes)............. and I KNOW I will use some of them MUCH more if they were independent of the rack.

PS. I will NOT buy anymore (rack dependent) Slate plugins before they are released as free standing ones................. Said to come, but WHEN?
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
I have almost stopped using the plugins dependent on the rack (maybe on a track or a single bus across my mixes)............. and I KNOW I will use some of them MUCH more if they were independent of the rack.

PS. I will NOT buy anymore (rack dependent) Slate plugins before they are released as free standing ones................. Said to come, but WHEN?
Idem.
Old 31st March 2017

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. We're a small but motivated team, and working very hard on the new updates such as FG-X2 and offering modules in and out of the channel strip.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post

i'm pretty new to.Slate plugins and enjoyed using the rack, but it is now crashing my DAW when it loads. Real shame.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Steven, in the 20yrs I've been engineering I've used about every mastering/brickwall available. I will have to agree with you, your plugin is tricky to get it to work without it internally clipping. For that reason I stopped using it. I'd rather adjust settings for end results than have to adjust settings just to manage the plugin so it doesn't clip. I've seen your video, I've read your docs and I understand how to use the plugin. It's just too touchy. I don't even master that hot compared to most projects out there. For that reason I started using Pro-L and have uninstalled your plugin. I'd rather eat what I payed for the plugin than have to deal with it. Too bad, love the metering and the constant gain monitoring features.
Hi,.how are you detecting the internal clipping? The metering reads -.01 dbfs when it is being pushed, but I have not spent any time with this plugin. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the comments. We're a small but motivated team, and working very hard on the new updates such as FG-X2 and offering modules in and out of the channel strip.

Cheers,
Steven
Hey Steven,

any idea or estimate for thr FG-X 2.0 update?

thanks!
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Oh my goodness Steven, This is the best thing that I read. I actually asked you about it on the wrong forum that was my bad. But I can't wait to put your plugin to use in Harrison mixbus once they are free from that container. Most of all either I will become a subscriber or will expand by purchasing individual module once they are free. Big thanks!
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Maniac

How long waiting for FG-X 2, single plugins free from VMR rack, broke backwards compatibility with VCC by putting the AAX into the rack and not a single plugin, shoe horning people into subscriptions.

Lots of other new products though and I'm sure there are plenty of justifications (RE excuses) for the above.
Does Steve and his team count success by subscriptions or by how many people actually use the products?
I have not used in VMR in a long long time and by extension VCC, FG X and not to mention that most of the new subscription models are not even Slate plugins, repurposed and rebranded.

I'm sure this will be passed off by others a hater but a hater does not sink a load of cash (every single plugin until he started hard selling subscriptions and patronising those who knew what he is end game was) into a companies plugins and then find that the promises that fail to materialise.

Ambition bites the nails of success.
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Addict

I just hope Steven Slate will remove noise from the VMR ssl and neve modules, as a free update. It makes the product UNUSABLE. Steven has promised to remove the noise, I hope he does. I paid money for VMR and so far only use it for comps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search