The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Removing all the Hiss from UAD2 and other Analog emulation Plugs Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Removing all the Hiss from UAD2 and other Analog emulation Plugs

Hi-

As much as i love the sound of UAD2 (and other's) Analog emulation plugins, the Hiss is just insane on the compressors at high settings.

Im well aware that this is how these original pieces behave in reality, as i own many of them, yet, the idea of these being an emulation should allow, at least in some way, the ability to enjoy it's dynamic behavior without the noise (The noise is not part of my recorded tracks being emphasized - Its the plugin itself making a ton of noise).

Id love to know if there is a way to get rid of this insane amount of un-called for hiss...
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Short of using a de-hiss plugin......NO
Old 29th March 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
Im well aware that this is how these original pieces behave in reality
Yep, and there's no reason for that to be carried over into the "emulation."

Though usually the noise is way down there, is this a gain structure problem? Are you massively boosting post-noisy-plugin?
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, there's no real way around this with the UAD stuff. Personally, I only mind the hiss when it's audible during quieter passages, and this can usually be remedied by automating the master bypass on for all analog emulations on inactive tracks.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Unless its some childish game of "make believe" to make you feel like you are in some noisy studio in the 70's hanging' with the greats, it may be part of the true modeling of the components and circuit behavior... However, since Superman can fly in the movies, i dont see why the hiss factor can not be isolated and eliminated... but again, im not a programmer and maybe this is the only way to promise true emulation...

The funny thing is if the hiss is the ONLY thing that was carried over from the original piece and so we all buy into a picture and a hiss and think we are using some great historical piece of gear that must make out stuff sound like some great old recording...

Oh, what cynical times we live in...;-)

Notable hiss is on:
Fairchild 660/670
All 1176's
LA2A
LA3A

Insane...
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear
Waves has the same thing on their analog emu plugins but at least on theirs the noise can be disabled.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Waves has the same thing on their analog emu plugins but at least on theirs the noise can be disabled.
Except Greg Wells Mixcentric/Tonecentric it can't be turned off - boooo!
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

If noise CAN be turned off in an emulation plugin, that makes me suspicious that their modelling is not of the true component level type.
Old 3rd April 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
If noise CAN be turned off in an emulation plugin, that makes me suspicious that their modelling is not of the true component level type.
Not much modelling is, the only one I can think of which claims to be is WaveArts TubeSaturator, and that's for a basic circuit. There are plug-ins which use SPICE-type modelling for certain aspects e.g. filters, as in Cytomic's The Drop, etc.

In any case, that modelling won't give you "Johnson noise"... "hiss" is presumably from a pseudo-random number generator. And its presence in the output of a plug-in doesn't mean it's having any meaningful effect on its operation, e.g. is it being fed into the sidechain of a compressor?

In other words, if you've got

INPUT->PROCESSING->ADD NOISE->OUTPUT

Then all that's happened is the noise has been added to the output.

And since the noise has to be generated and injected in one or more places within the plug-in, being able to turn it on or off isn't evidence of the kind of modelling in use.

For example, in DMG Compassion you can turn on noise added only to the sidechain input. But it's not an "emulation" of anything (although its behaviour is extensively user-configurable.)
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Pretty sure that UAD does full physical modelling.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
Right. Because you can totally hear what a capacitor change does in the context of a mix.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear
definitely becomes an issue if mixing with lower signals. I've started to mix at better levels anyways, at some point I was having to struggle to get gain reduction without boosting all of my inputs into comps and things.

Having said that, I do like a tiny bit of noise, but just not summed on every channel. Usually one instance of Satin Tape is all the noise I like.

Other notable hiss:
RE201
Moog
Pultec
IIRC, both EMTs
I think the Boss Chorus
possibly the 1073
Probably many more that I cannot think of now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search