The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mother board ???? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th March 2017
Gear Nut

mother board ????

I am starting over I am tired of fighting with this HP , POS !!! ( it was free) I have decided to build my own computer with some QUALITY parts but I do not want to break the bank either my DAW is reaper, I will be running superior drummer 2 and my interface is a focusrite 18i20.. now understand I am by no means a computer guru !!! I just want to plug stuff together and make music and not spend hours tweaking computer programs
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Read this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...pc-thread.html

Also head over to DUC and copy the parts list from a known to work well system.. If it works well with ProTools it will work with any other DAW program.

Avid Pro Audio Community - Powered by vBulletin
Old 27th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Read this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...pc-thread.html

Also head over to DUC and copy the parts list from a known to work well system.. If it works well with ProTools it will work with any other DAW program.

Avid Pro Audio Community - Powered by vBulletin
maybe I am not making myself clear?? I want EASY/SIMPLE and CHEAP ... I have been banging my head around this HP-POS for almost 6mo. I am EXTREMELY frustrated !!!!!! so telling me to read through 153 pages of post is like rubbing salt in my wounds. I do remember years ago sweetwater had a board very much like gaerslutz only it was more focused on computer audio I guess I need to go find some thing like that. because it doesn't look like I am going to find the answers here
Old 27th March 2017
Deleted User
HOW ABOUT A BUDGET FOR THE PC AND OR PARTED PC???? No one here knows what CHEAP is to you

Help us to help you

1. Go buy an off the shelf PC, problem solved. Get an i7 machine. You WILL not find CHEAP doing it yourself nor from a PC DAW company
2. You will have to do some general tweaking on the PC to run audio well, period
3. I run Reaper here on a HP Laptop Core i5 with 6 GB RAM and its fine.
4. You never said what your issues were with the HP, can't no one help you???
5. You need to have Superior on its OWN HD, period!! Have you done that??

To answer your question, Gigabyte, ASUS for the MB
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogy1 View Post
maybe I am not making myself clear?? I want EASY/SIMPLE and CHEAP ... I have been banging my head around this HP-POS for almost 6mo. I am EXTREMELY frustrated !!!!!! so telling me to read through 153 pages of post is like rubbing salt in my wounds. I do remember years ago sweetwater had a board very much like gaerslutz only it was more focused on computer audio I guess I need to go find some thing like that. because it doesn't look like I am going to find the answers here
My final advice:

Buy from one of the companies that offer custom audio specific systems.
ADK, Scan etc because obviously you are not qualified nor in any position to make these decisions yourself.

Every single board has it's pluses and minuses. Every one. Gigabyte and Asus IMHO are your best bets.

Good luck.
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear
Stick with Gigabyte or Asus motherboards. For budget go with Asrock who are a division of Asus. For budget Ram I've done well with Kingston. Buy Ram in matched pairs. Don't skimp too much on power supplies as that can make a big difference in stability. Stick with Corsair or Thermaltake or Enermax or Antec. Get an SSD for OS and one for samples too if you can afford it. For recording drive I use Western Digital Black. Microcenter and NewEgg have the best prices if you live in the US.
Old 27th March 2017
Gear Nut

ok here's what I am looking at

Build To Order Barebones | Amd FM2 Apu Gpu Custom Barebones Pc Kit

but with all the options its still $950 which exceeds my goal of building a box for under $600
Old 27th March 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
ok here's what I am looking at

Build To Order Barebones | Amd FM2 Apu Gpu Custom Barebones Pc Kit

but with all the options its still $950 which exceeds my goal of building a box for under $600

I"ll assume you have done some research into how well the AMD CPU's work for audio production
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
I"ll assume you have done some research into how well the AMD CPU's work for audio production
Judging from previous posts, probably no research.

Also, that's an APU, not CPU, and thus I would question the wisdom of buying that.
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
maybe I am not making myself clear?? I want EASY/SIMPLE and CHEAP ... I have been banging my head around this HP-POS for almost 6mo. I am EXTREMELY frustrated !!!!!! so telling me to read through 153 pages of post is like rubbing salt in my wounds.
In life not everything will be handed to you on a silver plate. You have to do some work just like everyone else. Start reading the thread backwards; last post first....

-----------

Don't get an AMD APU.

Don't get an older generation AMD CPU.

Intel i5/i7 CPUs provide solid platforms that have been tested and perform well.

The newest AMD Ryzen platform might be a good choice, but it's very new and is still "early" in its life cycle.
Old 27th March 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Judging from previous posts, probably no research.

Also, that's an APU, not CPU, and thus I would question the wisdom of buying that.
Well, so are the Intel chips...

Onboard graphics still suck, keep them turned off!
Old 27th March 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those AMD chips have _shared_ FP and SIMD units between "cores." Not a good idea for audio processing!
Old 27th March 2017
Deleted User
I think my assessments have proven true so far. He'd be better of buying a Dell from Best Buy and throwing an extra drive or two in it. It would run Reaper fine
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think my assessments have proven true so far. He'd be better of buying a Dell from Best Buy and throwing an extra drive or two in it. It would run Reaper fine
Yuck, Dell
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Addict

I was going to suggest Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker, but that might be too much work.

It does help make sure everything is compatible. Doesn't matter what MB you get if it isn't compatible with your CPU.
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Nut

Thumbs down

thanks for all the "wonderful" advice fact is I work 2 full time jobs I do not have the time to read every thread on motherboards .. thank you soooo much !!! for the "thoughtful advice"
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Addict

Okay, I get that the build your own PC thread is crazy long. Before I built mine in December, I read the last 3 pages or so. Just the most current. The guys there are great. There are a couple of PC builders that hang out there and answer questions and are just all around helpful.

The next thing is to go to the PC partpicker link above. Get an i5 or better. Then get the motherboard. The minimum you need is the CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, RAM, power, drives and box. A graphics card is nice, but the MB usually has enough of the basics to get you started.

And? This is not the best. If you have time? As in you don't need it now, you can "build" it on PC partpicker and grab parts as they go on sale or as you can afford them.

But really, it won't be cheaper than buying an older model machine. Truthfully, if you can find a place with sales on last year's higher priced models? You will probably be happier. Look for an older i7, at least 16 GB RAM, and 2 HDDs or SSDs/combo of the two.
Old 28th March 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
thanks for all the "wonderful" advice fact is I work 2 full time jobs I do not have the time to read every thread on motherboards .. thank you soooo much !!! for the "thoughtful advice"
Fact is you are an ungrateful little twit, Good luck in your quest for your $50 PeeCee

You were TOLD, ASUS or GIGABYTE MB, did you not hear that?? Im out
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Nut

Unhappy

Quote:
Fact is you are an ungrateful little twit, Good luck in your quest for your $50 PeeCee

You were TOLD, ASUS or GIGABYTE MB, did you not hear that?? Im out
yes shanabit I did read that... thank you soooooo much for pointing that out... not everybody has $1000 to drop on a computer and I am very grateful for the brand recommendations and to imply that I am not grateful is not correct... not everyone is a spoiled brat like you who's born with a silver spoon in his mouth... some people actually have to WORK a job to make ends meet and every penny counts!! ..... now the cheapest system I have been able to piece together is $750 .. which is $150 over budget
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear
For AMD stick with the FX line or the latest Rysen. For Intel i5 on up. If you live in the states NewEgg or Microcenter has all kinds of deals that will beat what was posted. Most AMD FX CPU's at Microcenter come coupled with either a free or motherboards at 90% off instant rebate. I can't shop for you.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
For AMD stick with the FX line or the latest Rysen. For Intel i5 on up. If you live in the states NewEgg or Microcenter has all kinds of deals that will beat what was posted. Most AMD FX CPU's at Microcenter come coupled with either a free or motherboards at 90% off instant rebate. I can't shop for you.

thanks for the info I will look into it
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes shanabit I did read that... thank you soooooo much for pointing that out... not everybody has $1000 to drop on a computer and I am very grateful for the brand recommendations and to imply that I am not grateful is not correct... not everyone is a spoiled brat like you who's born with a silver spoon in his mouth... some people actually have to WORK a job to make ends meet and every penny counts!! ..... now the cheapest system I have been able to piece together is $750 .. which is $150 over budget

Now you're learning that this is an expensive hobby. I built a machine using an i3 last year and it ran almost $700. If I were you, I'd just get a newer HP POS until you have the cash for a decent machine.

If you search the bay you can find an HP (xw8400) or Dell Workstation (T7400) for $200 or less. These are pro machines that are usually fairly upgradeable. Most have dual quad core processors. I'm running my PTHD system on an old HP xw4600. I paid $50 bucks for it and another couple hundred to upgrade the processor/ram and add an SSD. It's one of the few PC's that Avid actually supports PTHD on.
Old 29th March 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

The critical thing on a budget is to steer well clear of CPU munching plugins...
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
Now you're learning that this is an expensive hobby. I built a machine using an i3 last year and it ran almost $700. If I were you, I'd just get a newer HP POS until you have the cash for a decent machine.

If you search the bay you can find an HP (xw8400) or Dell Workstation (T7400) for $200 or less. These are pro machines that are usually fairly upgradeable. Most have dual quad core processors. I'm running my PTHD system on an old HP xw4600. I paid $50 bucks for it and another couple hundred to upgrade the processor/ram and add an SSD. It's one of the few PC's that Avid actually supports PTHD on.

I already have an HP-POS and it has motivated me to build my own so far I have managed to squeeze it down to $676
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Head

Go for a used workstation. A ebayed Dell T3600 or T3650 with 16gb RAM and a 250GB SSD should less than $500.
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Nut

It might be worth looking into an Intel NUC mini computer. Pretty bare bones, and you'd have to get the ram and hard drive separately... but you might be able to squeak in right around $600 with the i5 processor.

All that said, I have no experience with these, so they might be total shyte... just another option to research.

If you're building, +1 for gigabyte or asus mobo.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think you just answered your own question. It's simple save up a little more money until you can get what you can afford.

Side note, the people answering so far are trying to help you. Your cocky attitude isn't going to help your case. What's going to happen when you get stuck during the build of your PC? No one is going to want to help you with that attitude.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

There are HP workstations, and two of them (XW4600 - which I know well - and the XW8400 - which I only know by reputation) do not fit in the POS group. And the HP Z##0 (Z400 and z600 and z800 for example) definitely do not fit in the POS group.

They can be found at decent prices because of two reasons:
1 - The corporate users of new HP workstations keep them for three years (for example) and then sell them.
2 - Gamers prefer other computers because HP workstations can't be overclocked.

Some workstations especially useful for creators of music and video are available from HP, Lenovo, and Dell. And those same brands may have some POS - but not their workstations.

best, john
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Addict

I know everyone says get an SSD. But I also know for the size, SSD's can be very pricey. You are better off with a couple of 7200 RPM HDD's to start. They will always be usable for audio files or as your working drive later when you have money to upgrade.
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Head

You can get this for $374 or best offer at ebay: Lenovo ThinkStation E32 - i7-4770 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search