The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! Apogee Symphony Vanish / Re-appear
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Help! Apogee Symphony Vanish / Re-appear

Anyone with a Symphony64 PCIe system ever see a problem where the interfaces momentarily vanish & then re-appear? I don't normally keep the Symphony control software open during sessions, but I've started because I noticed it once by accident.

I'll be playing back / recording in PT12 on my Mac Pro tower... when suddenly, my audio vanishes. It used to come back before I could even get around to rebooting / re-starting PT. I was assuming it was a software problem for a while, but then (by accident) I'd left the Apogee software panel open, and hanging below my PT mix window... when I noticed it happening simultaneously with my audio drop-out.

The devices listed in the Apogee software vanished & and then re-registered in the app... over the course of a few seconds. the app refreshed itself a few times and then everything was normal again. It was the strangest thing... But I could never catch it in the wild — until today.

Here's the video of it happening (about 12 seconds worth)... if you check out the very first frame, my apogee symphony is ONLY showing one device... but I have 4. There's a pair of AD/DA 16x's and two Rosetta 800's all daisy chained on the 1-32 bus of the Symphony64 PCIe card (which is the normal & prescribed connection scheme)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1tuphwnp1...tting.mov?dl=0

I'm gonna share it with Apogee tech support to see what they think, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had seen / solved this before.

I'm wondering if it's failures in any of the following:

• Mac Pro Tower
• Symphony64 PCIe Card, itself
• PC-32 Cable that connects them all (though I have swapped cables, so that's unlikely)
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I would recommend going to your Apogee Symphony installers and run the uninstall file in there. Restart your computer then install it again. It may have a driver conflict with an older version you had installed on past. Especially if you just ran the update over top of the old Maestro and Drivers. The uninstall should help. You also may need to run the uninstall for the previous versions if you have them. I would also confirm that your symphony cable is well secured to the symphony 64 card. You may need to replace that cable. If those things don't work I would recommend getting in contact with Apogee.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecaudio View Post
I would recommend going to your Apogee Symphony installers and run the uninstall file in there. Restart your computer then install it again.
Good insight, and I appreciate the input. But it seems that this isn't it.

a) I've specifically NOT changed any software on this tower in over 2yrs (or thereabouts)... and it has been running just fine. I'm still running OS 10.10.5, and PT 12.4... with Apogee 5.x whatever came out a couple of years back... the problem didn't appear until several months ago... so it caused me to think my tower was dying.

b) to rule-out or confirm suspicions about the tower, I just did a test with my symphony64 Thunderbridge. I ran my symphony hardware from that on my Macbook pro, so the PCIe card & tower's power supply were totally out of the equation. Problem persisted. It actually happened slightly more frequently in the Thunderbridge scenario — and the macbook pro has NO previous apogee installs... I'd been using a focusrite IO on that machine for a while.

So, now we're looking at the PC-32 cables ... I'm going to see if I have another long PC-32 as a test (the run from the computers to the rack of gear is the longer section here).

Side-note: My 2013 Retina Macbook Pro ran PT 12.4 like a boss!!! The updated graphics in that made the screen re-draws sooooooo much smoother and faster. Also, I threw some Sonnox Dynamics on EVERY channel of a 20 track 24/192Khz studio session... and the CPU wasn't sweating at all. So that was nice!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdingley View Post
Good insight, and I appreciate the input. But it seems that this isn't it.

a) I've specifically NOT changed any software on this tower in over 2yrs (or thereabouts)... and it has been running just fine. I'm still running OS 10.10.5, and PT 12.4... with Apogee 5.x whatever came out a couple of years back... the problem didn't appear until several months ago... so it caused me to think my tower was dying.

b) to rule-out or confirm suspicions about the tower, I just did a test with my symphony64 Thunderbridge. I ran my symphony hardware from that on my Macbook pro, so the PCIe card & tower's power supply were totally out of the equation. Problem persisted. It actually happened slightly more frequently in the Thunderbridge scenario — and the macbook pro has NO previous apogee installs... I'd been using a focusrite IO on that machine for a while.

So, now we're looking at the PC-32 cables ... I'm going to see if I have another long PC-32 as a test (the run from the computers to the rack of gear is the longer section here).

Side-note: My 2013 Retina Macbook Pro ran PT 12.4 like a boss!!! The updated graphics in that made the screen re-draws sooooooo much smoother and faster. Also, I threw some Sonnox Dynamics on EVERY channel of a 20 track 24/192Khz studio session... and the CPU wasn't sweating at all. So that was nice!
I am sure you may know already, but the PC-32 cables are the same cables as the older style Avid/Digidesign Digilink cables. If you have a buddy with an older Pro Tools HD rig you may want to try to borrow one of those. Good luck on getting things worked out. Hopefully you can resolve them soon.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecaudio View Post
I am sure you may know already, but the PC-32 cables are the same cables as the older style Avid/Digidesign Digilink cables.
Thanks! And yeah —*I just learned that a few months back, while talking with Apogee support. I was surprised to learn that, but it's definitely helpful. I think I have a spare cable that has never been used, so I'm gonna check in my cable bin to see.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search