The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Youtube LUFS BS?!
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Youtube LUFS BS?!

As we've all heard there are mastering standards for variety of digital platforms with all different levels and stuff. however it appears to be inaccurate. YouTube does not lower material louder than 13 LUFS as stated in this article:

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blog...fy-and-youtube

I got an order to do a quick remake of a song that was uploaded 8 years ago so I ripped it of YouTube. What I found out is the track is overly compressed peaking at 0db and having up to -7LUFS.

If anyone actually knows what's going on with this and how loud masters YouTube as well as other platforms like.
Attached Thumbnails
Youtube LUFS BS?!-screen-shot-2017-03-09-15.07.26.jpg  
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Bump.

Same WFT here. Don't get it, there are some VERY hot tracks up on Youtube.
Old 19th April 2017
Here for the gear

If I remember reading somewhere, their sound-check technology is only implemented for stuff that was uploaded after the date it was implemented. So you will find louder older material but will not find any current material that will break the -13 LUFS standard. Hence, the 8-year-old video.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerMK View Post
If I remember reading somewhere, their sound-check technology is only implemented for stuff that was uploaded after the date it was implemented. So you will find louder older material but will not find any current material that will break the -13 LUFS standard. Hence, the 8-year-old video.
THIS, my friends
Old 20th April 2017
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
THIS, my friends
There's plenty of stuff uploaded over the last 12 months, or even more recently than that, that well and truly breaks -13 LUFS.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 View Post
There's plenty of stuff uploaded over the last 12 months, or even more recently than that, that well and truly breaks -13 LUFS.
Hmmm? Maybe it is dependent on where you live?

Seems very consistent (for newer stuff) here in the North of Europe....
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

I could say the same for iTunes. Just mastered a track at -8rms. Bought and downloaded the track today. It's still -8rms & sounds fine.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
I could say the same for iTunes. Just mastered a track at -8rms. Bought and downloaded the track today. It's still -8rms & sounds fine.
-8 dB RMS says nothing about loudness. What LU loudness was the track at?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
-8 dB RMS says nothing about loudness. What LU loudness was the track at?
Of course it does!
Perceived loudness = RMS a-weighted for human ear response to frequencies

Lufs was the same measurement.
Old 21st April 2017
Two Gear Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
Of course it does!
Perceived loudness = RMS a-weighted for human ear response to frequencies

Lufs was the same measurement.
RMS is less reliable than LUFS. You can have two tracks that share the same -10dB RMS for example, while to the ear the difference in loudness can be huge. Measuring in LUFS will be much closer to how we perceive loudness.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
RMS is less reliable than LUFS. You can have two tracks that share the same -10dB RMS for example, while to the ear the difference in loudness can be huge. Measuring in LUFS will be much closer to how we perceive loudness.
Agreed. Although I scan RMS & keep a couple different meters open to check things.

My point being, Apple didn't turn my brick down by 5 DB to keep it within their specified LUFS. Perhaps because I was certain there were no overages & kept my final limiter at -.5

Last edited by m_gant; 21st April 2017 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Remember that the LUFS (EBU R128/ATSC RP A/85) also uses a "gating system" to avoid "longer" silent passages within the song to be used in the integrated meassurement (start to stop).

So the above is different to a RMS value which is a momentary/real time meassurement only.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search