The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade or stay 4,1 mac Desktop Synthesizers
Old 8th March 2017
Here for the gear
Upgrade or stay 4,1 mac

Hi

i'm currently running a

• early 2009 4,1 mac
• 2 x 2,26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
• 32gig ram
• pro evo 1tb ssd system-disk
• uad duo firewire
• focusrite pro40 interface

my os is 10.9.5 and i'm using the latest possible logic pro 10.2.2

everything works fine.

to run the latest version of logic pro 10.3.1 i need to update my system to el capitan 10.11.6 wich is available for my computer. sierra will not work so sierra can't fix anything for me if capitan fails in any case

any experiences with this combination?
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

I just got rid of my 4.1 ,it was a great machine but since Sierra wasnt supported I was worried that it was the beginning of the end. I was looking to upgrade the cpu but the price was too high compared to the 5.1 original machines on craigslist. I was able to sell my 4.1 and got a 2010 5.1 12 cores for a really good price on Craigslist , it was cheaper than the CPU upgrades available online. this machine is a beast and I hope I don't have to upgrade anytime soon, it's so painful to re-register plug ins all over again......this is when I appreciate iLok .
Old 12th April 2017
Here for the gear
Thank you. I think I will go the same way and leave my system as it is and buy a 6.1
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Maniac

You should save money, buy a custom hackintosh and you will be fine. Haha.

I'm running a hackintosh and it along with Logic Pro X 10.3.1 are just rock-solid stable here.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade or stay 4,1 mac-screen-shot-2017-04-12-9.53.48-pm.jpg  
Old 13th April 2017
Here for the gear

Don't sell your Mac

The 2009 Mac Pro can be updated to a 5,1 with a simple EFI update.
You can have (2) 5690 6 core 3.46ghz processors put in for a total of 12 cores/24 threads and It will run the latest op and last many years to come.
Very fast and reliable. Look around many have done it.
Old 13th April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WandaS View Post
The 2009 Mac Pro can be updated to a 5,1 with a simple EFI update.
You can have (2) 5690 6 core 3.46ghz processors put in for a total of 12 cores/24 threads and It will run the latest op and last many years to come.
Very fast and reliable. Look around many have done it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Left View Post
You should save money, buy a custom hackintosh and you will be fine. Haha.

I'm running a hackintosh and it along with Logic Pro X 10.3.1 are just rock-solid stable here.
Thanks for your tipps, but i dont have the time to experiment or rely on something that is not original or testet. I earn my and my familiys living from music and i think its better and easier for me just to buy a new one and have the old one as a backup or slave.

Maybe i will try it (the update u mentioned) out on another mac which i dont use at the moment. thanks for pointing me on that. Regarding Hackintosh. Its not my cup of tea.

I came to Apple cause i'am not the Pc-guy. i dont want to tinker my computer. I just wanna switch it on and make music. its just a Tool. It must be ready.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

I can remember the times when a new version of the OS meant you could do more - now it seems it's only about "i-anything" and what you can't do anymore because of the upgrade. For no reason at all and no performance gain. I can't think of many reasons to have to follow Apples erratic "now we break AU standards again" routine except if your work depends on getting outside projects which were built in the newest versions. If it's just for you own projects and you put out finished mixes, you might lose more and more plugins with uppgrades which keep you from opening your older projects from backups in case you need them.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Kaschke View Post
Thanks for your tipps, but i dont have the time to experiment or rely on something that is not original or testet. I earn my and my familiys living from music and i think its better and easier for me just to buy a new one and have the old one as a backup or slave.

Maybe i will try it (the update u mentioned) out on another mac which i dont use at the moment. thanks for pointing me on that. Regarding Hackintosh. Its not my cup of tea.

I came to Apple cause i'am not the Pc-guy. i dont want to tinker my computer. I just wanna switch it on and make music. its just a Tool. It must be ready.
I know, my friend. Hackintosh is a hard field and it will take your time (sometimes a lot) but it's worth because you will have a most most powerful machine with the price of a Mac pro. But if you have no time, just go straight with a trash can.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Left View Post
I know, my friend. Hackintosh is a hard field and it will take your time (sometimes a lot) but it's worth because you will have a most most powerful machine with the price of a Mac pro. But if you have no time, just go straight with a trash can.
in my opinion reliability is more important than power, I guess thats the reason I switched to Mac 15 years ago
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search