The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VST accessibility for the blind in progress Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd February 2017
VST accessibility for the blind in progress

I have mentioned in a previous thread that I've been working with someone in making a DAW, and some VST plugins accessible for the blind. We're working with Cakewalk SOnar X3, and many of it's plugins, including some aftermarket ones by Native Instruments and Toontrack.

Currently, we have NI's Guitar Rig 5 and Absynth 5 implemented with this framework. The framework uses Non-Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) and it's optical character recognition (OCR) plugin.

In standalone mode, you are able to select from the banks and presets, but in DAW mode, you are able to edit the presets selected. Right now, if you want to run them in standalone mode, you will have to get ome assistance to help set up your aduio/midi settings, for they are not accessible, yet. We are also going to use the framework to create settings for other VST's such as Cakewalk Sound Center, Zeta/2, NI Kontakt, and Toontrack Superior Drummer, plus whatever comes to mind.

In this video, I have the software running in DAW SOnar X3, and also show off my X-Touch compact project, a little bit, that I mentioned doing before. I will be doing a video series on it as well. Here's a video of me demonstrating the project thus far.

https://youtu.be/gyL_DA3YiXs
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

What a wonderful project !
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadeuvall2000 View Post
I have mentioned in a previous thread that I've been working with someone in making a DAW, and some VST plugins accessible for the blind. We're working with Cakewalk SOnar X3, and many of it's plugins, including some aftermarket ones by Native Instruments and Toontrack.

Currently, we have NI's Guitar Rig 5 and Absynth 5 implemented with this framework. The framework uses Non-Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) and it's optical character recognition (OCR) plugin.

In standalone mode, you are able to select from the banks and presets, but in DAW mode, you are able to edit the presets selected. Right now, if you want to run them in standalone mode, you will have to get ome assistance to help set up your aduio/midi settings, for they are not accessible, yet. We are also going to use the framework to create settings for other VST's such as Cakewalk Sound Center, Zeta/2, NI Kontakt, and Toontrack Superior Drummer, plus whatever comes to mind.

In this video, I have the software running in DAW SOnar X3, and also show off my X-Touch compact project, a little bit, that I mentioned doing before. I will be doing a video series on it as well. Here's a video of me demonstrating the project thus far.

https://youtu.be/gyL_DA3YiXs
Is this for windows? if so, you can use the MSAA and MWSR APIs. they both come with the SDK. They are a free download on MSDN. I think they may already be on the VS 2003 or higher install media.. You can also use the MS UIA API as well.
Old 22nd February 2017
The X-Touch project is using SAPI5, however we cannot figure out why it won't let us control parameters such as speed and voices , but it defaults to MS David. NVDA is being used to read menus, and the OCR interceptions and the voice I have set for it is Eva's SAPI5 voice, which, is similar to Cortana's voice. and that is completely controlable.
Old 22nd February 2017
I want to retract that previous message about changing voices and clearify I just figured it out LOL.

In windows 10, you have to go to control panel, ease of access, voice recognition, and select advanced voice settings, and select text to speech, then it will let you change it from there. I always thought it just changed with Narrator, but, no, it doesn't. Nice to know though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search