The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on the AVID Quartet?
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Thoughts on the AVID Quartet?

Hi all,

Currently running through a BLA modded 002, but recently got the offer to sell it to someone for ~£500. I don't really intend to sell the interface, because aside from the odd clocking issue, it's a solid piece of kit. That said, having to run it through a transformer into 110v is a pain and I'm constantly in fear of something going wrong electronically and being without an interface.

I'm running on Windows, so I've been looking at the AVID Quartet which is currently on sale for £899.

Is this a worthwhile swap?
Old 21st February 2017
I recall seeing reports that the drivers are horrible - you should look into that.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I recall seeing reports that the drivers are horrible - you should look into that.
The report you saw was in error. The Apogee Quartet is USB class compliant on a Mac. This means it does not use drivers at all.

The Avid Quartet, which runs on both Macs and PC, does use drivers and those drivers are written by Avid, not Apogee. There were early reports that the drivers had some issues. That seems to have cleared up in late 2015/early 2016 with Avid's release of updated drivers.

As to the Quartet itself, the pres are quite decent, the converters are excellent and the routing and features are well thought out. The Quartet is partially controlled by Apogee's Maestro software, which functions well enough although some folks thinks it's a bit Spartan.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search