The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Would you consider a 256 HD MBP?
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Maniac
is a 256 HD a bad idea for audio?

Hi,

I am wondering if the still available 2015 15 MacBook Pro (i7 2.2, 16 RAM, and 256 hd) which can be had for a discounted price, is a good buy for
for composing/music production, live, logic, some vsts, etc....

I could add an external drive or change the internal drive later on.... or is it a bad idea to get a 256 hd machine?

Thanks!
Old 23rd February 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

You cannot change the internal disk on these MBPs. It will be 256GB forever, which is really really small.
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Nut

2015's mackbook pro have the sd card reader so you can add something like This (That is what I have done and I'm really happy) to double your disk space.
Use the SD disk just for "slow media"
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

No. My Mac Pro with a 512GB SSD has almost used up 200GB just for all the software I run on it. I store all my pictures/videos on my laptop. I'm not sure if it's true for SSD's, but I know with HDD's if your internal drive was pretty full, the computer's performance would take quite a hit.
Old 25th February 2017
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
You cannot change the internal disk on these MBPs. It will be 256GB forever, which is really really small.
Not true: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/...2013-2014-2015
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Nut

No, I bought a 2015 MPB 15" with a 1 TB SSD and added a 4 TB external drives for samples.
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
I just saw this today. Facebook or Google must be tracking us.

But, read the fine print. It's only certain models, and it's pretty pricey.
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Maniac
I've got a 2011 MBP with 250 gb SSD. Most of komplete is installed on there. When it fills up I have to move projects to an external USB drive. It gets the job done, so...if the price is right, maybe?

OWC has kits that allow installation of a drive in the SuperDrive slot. At least that's an option I have with my older machine.
Old 9th March 2017
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I just saw this today. Facebook or Google must be tracking us.

But, read the fine print. It's only certain models, and it's pretty pricey.
Right, but most pre 2016 macbook pros can be updated. My concern is how hot the 3rd party drives might run. I have a 2015 Macbook Pro on order and was planning to upgrade to 1TB. Won't want to go that route if the drives run too hot.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro

What fine print are you referring to?

D
Old 9th March 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
1. I still recommend to double check if the MBP model in question really is upgradable by OWC. Officially, they aren't.
2. $700 for a 1 TB SSD upgrade? Well, then you could go for the original Apple one for $800.
Old 16th April 2017
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
1. I still recommend to double check if the MBP model in question really is upgradable by OWC. Officially, they aren't.
2. $700 for a 1 TB SSD upgrade? Well, then you could go for the original Apple one for $800.
If only Apple sold OEM hardware for upgrading 2015 models.

D
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

I would find a used or refurb model with the 1tb SSD. I bought a maxed out 2014 refurb with the 1tb a few months ago and it rocks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search