The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Music production configured Windows laptops Audio Interfaces
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Music production configured Windows laptops

Looking to get a Laptop for music production and came across this site LINK Worth getting something like this? Just seems quite pricey as you can grab something second hand off the shelf with a lot higher spec for a lot less money. What would be the advantages.
Old 20th February 2017
There are (at least) three people here who work at firms that make custom computers: Dawtalk, Pete Kain and Tafkat. They are all active and helpful and come across as serious and knowledgeable. I suggest you pm them and ask for a quote.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

PC laptops are tricky. I suggest ADK. Still have mine from 7 years ago. If you want to avoid head aches...well worth the extra money. I wouldn't even consider trying to use an off the shelf PC laptop for anything DAW related.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear
A reputable DAW builder will deliver a laptop fully ready for DAW performance which includes custom bios options not found in off the shelf offerings. More importantly off the shelf laptops are hit and miss when it comes to DPC latency scores. If you could bring the DPC latency checker on a USB stick and check every potential laptop before hand fine, but most vendors wont let you. For off the shelf it's best to stick with brands that are proven for DAW like Lenovo, Clevo etc.
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks will look into getting something built for the job
Old 21st February 2017
Deleted 46dc28f
I don't think a purpose built machine is necessary. Just buy a reputable brand, higher end model. I'm loving my Lenovo Thinkpad P50 with touchscreen. Space for 3 hard drives, 64gb ECC ram, Thunderbolt 3, Xoen processor. Currently running Bitwig. No problems so far.

Last edited by Deleted 46dc28f; 21st February 2017 at 03:07 AM..
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
I don't think a purpose built machine is necessary. Just buy a reputable brand, higher end model. I'm loving my Lenovo Thinkpad P50 with touchscreen. Space for 3 hard drives, 64gb ECC ram, Thunderbolt 3, Xoen processor. Currently running Bitwig. No problems so far.
+1

I bought a Lenovo P50 in September. It has been rock solid so far. It also has access to change more settings in the BIOS than a normal laptop and you can turn off the Steepstep and CPU throttling that can often times cause problems with laptops that are meant to converse battery life.

Running Windows 10 Pro, with the Intel i7 6820HQ CPU, 48GB RAM (I'll bump up to 64GB once RAM prices come down a bit) and a 256GB SSD system drive. and the NVidia Quadro M2000M GPU. Still running my session from a 1TB external 7200RPM hard drive, but I'll up grade to internal SSDs eventually.

I use Protools and it has been rock solid so far. Lots of head room and great stability.

I got a great deal on it, cost me just under $1,500 plus another ~$140 for the 32GB of Crucial RAM that I added after I bought the laptop.
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your help. Came across this one on eBay and drought for £599 Music production configured Windows laptopsLINK Seems like a good deal.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

For the P50 users:

I know this is a long shot...but have any of you tried the P50 with a UA Apollo Thunderbolt? I am very seriously thinking the P50 will be my next computer, but I would like to know that my current interface will work.

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
For the P50 users:

I know this is a long shot...but have any of you tried the P50 with a UA Apollo Thunderbolt? I am very seriously thinking the P50 will be my next computer, but I would like to know that my current interface will work.

Thanks in advance!
I have not, sorry. Still using my Scarlett 18i20 and a Roland OctaCapture at work, which are USB devices. And more often than not Dante Virtual Soundcard.

To be honest, I'm waiting for Focusrite to certify that their Clarett Range works with a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C connector to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and then I will get a Clarett 8Pre.

I would send UA an email. There's a good chance that they may be using Lenovo laptops as on of their testing platforms and could give you a better assessment.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search