The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creating 1 bar drums to existing melody ( bpm? ) help! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Creating 1 bar drums to existing melody ( bpm? ) help!

This has always drove me crazy.. Say my Ableton session is set at 120bpm. Say I track scratch vocals and scratch guitar without a click to a tempo that feels right. Now I'd like pencil in a 1 bar drum pattern ( that I can duplicate and make variations ). The problem is if I double click on an empty clip and start penciling in a midi drum pattern not only will it be out of sync with scratch vocals/guitar it will be of different tempo. So. What is the right way to program drums AFTER I recorded a scratch track with the tempo that felt right?! I will owe you big time if anyone can explain this. Btw what I've been doing is just playing drums live after having recorded vox/guitar but then the live midi notes don't align to the grid so much harder to duplicate and quantize properly.
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Now that I think about it, without tracking scratch vocals to a CLICK there's really no way of working around it after. Am I right?
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Nevermind, just found the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x1288VvQ9o
If anyone is having the same issue: basically, play without a click. figure out the bpm using this link's method. Then program drums using that bpm.
Old 21st February 2017
In similar instances of recording some instruments without a click, and hadn't even payed any attention to tempo, what I've done is record my edrums live via audio. But more so now, I'll record my edrums as midi live along with those tracks, without any quantising on the way in. If they were scratch audio tracks, I'll then realign my midi drum parts manually to a temp and grid, then re-record those audio parts along with the drums.
If say I have to keep and use audio parts, especially someone else vocals that I have before me, I'll spice up the audio and manually move them to the grid. I've even done this down to syllables.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search