The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CPU Fix for Studio One? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th February 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

CPU Fix for Studio One?

Does anyone know if they will fix the ridiculous amount of CPU that S3 uses?

I would love to use Studio One, but I just can't at this point.
Old 20th February 2017
  #2
Gear Head
Runs smooth for me...what OS are you using?
Old 20th February 2017
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmstudios View Post
Runs smooth for me...what OS are you using?

Someone always comes along and says that I'm on Sierra and a latest spec MacPro, Logic, Cubase and Reaper run total rings around S1 on my system.

An example, in Studio One at 256 Buffer 96k I can run 3 stereo instances of the waves Scheps Parallel Particles plugin, instantiate another and the CPU goes over, in Logic I can have 27 instances and still more CPU available, so that is a huge difference.

I'm not doubting what you say about it running smooth for you, but I have yet to see it with my own eyes, I would love someone to upload a video showing good performance in S1, maybe run the same test above and show the results.
Old 20th February 2017
  #4
Windows 10 here. No problems. Sorry
Old 20th February 2017
  #5
P99
Gear Maniac
 

I am no expert, but is there a way to add an internal delay when mixing to give the processor a chance to catch up?
Old 20th February 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 

S1's cpu issues are frustrating and unexplainable considering how efficient the workflow is.
Old 20th February 2017
  #7
Gear Addict
 

I second this!!!!!
I'm using 3.5Ghz i7 iMac and cpu usage is really high especially when using virtual instruments.

So really hope Presonus addresses this.
Old 20th February 2017
  #8
yep same here mac mini 2012 i7. its ok on small projects but some bigger sessions with more plugins loaded it goes down to its knees very quickly. would love to switch from logic pro and live altogether as I think studio one is just those two programs combined in nice workflow but cpu issue is there and shows that its just not a professional app at this stage. btw logic pro and reaper, and even live they are just smoking studio one in that regard.
Old 20th February 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
Someone always comes along and says that I'm on Sierra and a latest spec MacPro, Logic, Cubase and Reaper run total rings around S1 on my system.

An example, in Studio One at 256 Buffer 96k I can run 3 stereo instances of the waves Scheps Parallel Particles plugin, instantiate another and the CPU goes over, in Logic I can have 27 instances and still more CPU available, so that is a huge difference.

I'm not doubting what you say about it running smooth for you, but I have yet to see it with my own eyes, I would love someone to upload a video showing good performance in S1, maybe run the same test above and show the results.
I'm on a mac. I have tried two macs. One 3ghz 8 core mac pro and a 2.6 mac book pro quad core. 16 gigs of ram on both machines...I don't think it's a slow computer. Protools, Logic, run fine on it. I know someone with a 12 core mac and it's dodgy. I think maybe it's the Mac version that is bad? Seems like windows users are ok?

It's not just third party plugs either, presonus plugs are cpu hogs as well. They really need to do something about it. I get about 6 plugins and then I see spiking. That's insane. I used to run 10 instruments on an eMac with logic back in 03. Come'on guys.
Old 20th February 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
Seems like windows users are ok?
Nope, it's a CPU hog over here as well, on W10.

It's just not an efficient DAW, who knows if it'll ever gonna be. I'd stick to more efficient DAWs.
Old 20th February 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Nope, it's a CPU hog over here as well, on W10.

It's just not an efficient DAW, who knows if it'll ever gonna be. I'd stick to more efficient DAWs.
Well, maybe someone with "Teddy Riley" clout can reach out to them and complain and make it a priority. I remember him saying in an interview he was making suggestions and they were making releases based off of those. Does Presonus have a presence on GS? I'd be interested to know....
Old 20th February 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Nope, it's a CPU hog over here as well, on W10.

It's just not an efficient DAW, who knows if it'll ever gonna be. I'd stick to more efficient DAWs.
Same here and bringing the topic up on FB or anywhere else usually ends up in a flame war. I'm hoping Presonus addresses this but from what I've seen they are still in the denial stage.
Old 20th February 2017
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Same here and bringing the topic up on FB or anywhere else usually ends up in a flame war. I'm hoping Presonus addresses this but from what I've seen they are still in the denial stage.
I have seen posts deleted over on their forum just for mentioning it, I have given up on them, I am using mainly Logic these days and with the latest update I prefer it over S1 anyway.

Of course if you want really fantastic CPU then use Reaper, it's a monster.
Old 20th February 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
I have seen posts deleted over on their forum just for mentioning it, I have given up on them, I am using mainly Logic these days and with the latest update I prefer it over S1 anyway.

Of course if you want really fantastic CPU then use Reaper, it's a monster.
Here is an interesting test:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=23956
Old 20th February 2017
  #15
Gear Nut
 
andiw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Let's see how long that thread 'lives' ....
Old 21st February 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiw View Post
Let's see how long that thread 'lives' ....
My guess it not long.

Old 21st February 2017
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Same here, i'm a Mac user.

I'd consider using Studio One but Logic blows it out of the water in terms of CPU usage.

Surely there's something they can do? I've used Logic, Ableton, Reaper, Cubase, Pro Tools etc. and S1 seems much worse than those in this department. It definitely nothing to do with the computer itself when every other DAW seems to run so well when using plenty of VI's and Plugins.
Old 21st February 2017
  #18
Interesting. On my i7 rMBP both S1 and Logic gives me about the same performance in artificial tests. On my i5 MBP S1 outperforms Logic due to the fact that Logic is keeping one core to itself.
Reaper and Tracktion outperforms both of them, but they are more light weight so it's to be expected.

Strange that S1 performs so poorly for some people. Apparently it doesn't for everyone. Has anyone been able to figure out any common denominators?
Old 21st February 2017
  #19
Gear Nut
 
andiw's Avatar
 

My guess is that many audio software is not optimized for the NMP Xeons
Old 21st February 2017
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's just not an efficient DAW, who knows if it'll ever gonna be. I'd stick to more efficient DAWs.
Well, efficiency is not all about CPU performance. I work more efficiently in S1 than in Reaper, which is worth more to me. Especially as I use mostly UAD plugins.
Old 21st February 2017
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Presonus Shady One
Old 21st February 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
oh BOY! same here. When I started a thread they tried to ROAST me. And its funny that Protools runs smooooooooth but presonus FORGET IT.
Old 21st February 2017
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
An example, in Studio One at 256 Buffer 96k I can run 3 stereo instances of the waves Scheps Parallel Particles plugin, instantiate another and the CPU goes over, in Logic I can have 27 instances and still more CPU available, so that is a huge difference.
As frustrating as poor S1 performance may or may not be for you, holy crap, I'm more impressed by how badly written a plugin may be that a modern CPU can only run 27 of them
Old 21st February 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
Interesting. On my i7 rMBP both S1 and Logic gives me about the same performance in artificial tests. On my i5 MBP S1 outperforms Logic due to the fact that Logic is keeping one core to itself.
Reaper and Tracktion outperforms both of them, but they are more light weight so it's to be expected.

Strange that S1 performs so poorly for some people. Apparently it doesn't for everyone. Has anyone been able to figure out any common denominators?
My performance issues are directly related to VSTi. I don't experience any noticeable problems with FX plugins like compressors, reverb etc.

It's heavy hitters like Ivory, Ravenscroft 275 and so forth.

Samplitude, Reaper have no problems where Studio One does.

Heck, even loading up just Ivory American D and not doing anything shows CPU spiking at 17 % or so on the S1 Performance Meter.
Running the mouse up and down the GUI keyboard pushes the CPU up into the high 20 percents almost hitting 30 percent.
That's for a single VSTi.
Nothing else loaded.
That's sucky.
Old 21st February 2017
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
As frustrating as poor S1 performance may or may not be for you, holy crap, I'm more impressed by how badly written a plugin may be that a modern CPU can only run 27 of them
A plugin doesn't have to be poorly made just because it's CPU intensive, in fact it might even be well optimized. It all depends on what it actually does.
In the case of parallel particles there's a lot of processing going on under the hood. You might want to consider it as multiple plugins in one, and from that perpective it's not that bad.
Old 21st February 2017
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
My performance issues are directly related to VSTi. I don't experience any noticeable problems with FX plugins like compressors, reverb etc.

It's heavy hitters like Ivory, Ravenscroft 275 and so forth.

Samplitude, Reaper have no problems where Studio One does.

Heck, even loading up just Ivory American D and not doing anything shows CPU spiking at 17 % or so on the S1 Performance Meter.
Running the mouse up and down the GUI keyboard pushes the CPU up into the high 20 percents almost hitting 30 percent.
That's for a single VSTi.
Nothing else loaded.
That's sucky.
Interesting! I haven't done any comparisons with VIs but I haven't noticed any exceptionally poor performance myself. I only use AU plugins with the exception of BFD3. Is the issue VST-related?
Old 21st February 2017
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
A plugin doesn't have to be poorly made just because it's CPU intensive, in fact it might even be well optimized. It all depends on what it actually does.
In the case of parallel particles there's a lot of processing going on under the hood. You might want to consider it as multiple plugins in one, and from that perpective it's not that bad.
That's true...I was trying to see if it was obviously doing some crazy load heavy stuff
Old 21st February 2017
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

In my case Studio One V3 has equal performance to Logic 10.3, Cubase 9 or PT HD 12.7. I don't know, but I haven no problem with CPU spiking and easily manage large projects without CPU tillting. I guess it is pretty system dependent thing. But I know that I use Studio One for 99% of my time and wish I didn't need to even start other DAWs for the compatibility, because I so much prefer working with Studio One.
Old 21st February 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

I'm using an apollo quad, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Just a thought.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump