The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So which Acqua Plugins do you recommend? Studio Headphones
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Nut

So which Acqua Plugins do you recommend?

Hi Guys,

So after owning/trying many Nebula and Acqua Plug ins, which Acqua plug ins do you think are the bes?t

The Best Eq for mixing, 2 bus
Best Compressors?

Best for Color, vibe?

and any Acqua Eq that is great but light on CPU to use and a all rounder in mixing?

Thanks
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Nut

anybody???
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

There are a LOT of similar questions asked in other threads, so that may be why you aren't getting responses.

But I'm happy to tell you my thoughts as of today (keeping in mind how often this changed last year alone since the tech is always improving).

Best Value: Lime
Lightest CPU: Lime
Favorite: Sand

Best Mastering Comp: Coral
Best Mastering EQ: White

Most "Convinsingly Analogue": Purple (bundle)

Greatest Thing Ever Invented: Pearl

Thing I'm drooling over: Diamond

Most Aggressive: Navy

Most Solid: Pink

Best Low-Mid: Magenta

Most Forward: Green

What you should get: Tan

Least Favorite: Emerald

What's better than all of them: N4

All subjective.

I suggest you demo based on what sounds the most interesting.

They are all great tools.

But I really think if someone is buying something it's nice to consider *why* they want a tool, so that the purchase is impactful. Saws are awesome, but they suck for driving nails.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicStrike View Post
anybody???
Don't overlook Prime Studio Black Series. Great all rounders with a unique tone.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
There are a LOT of similar questions asked in other threads, so that may be why you aren't getting responses.

But I'm happy to tell you my thoughts as of today (keeping in mind how often this changed last year alone since the tech is always improving).

Best Value: Lime
Lightest CPU: Lime
Favorite: Sand

Best Mastering Comp: Coral
Best Mastering EQ: White

Most "Convinsingly Analogue": Purple (bundle)

Greatest Thing Ever Invented: Pearl

Thing I'm drooling over: Diamond

Most Aggressive: Navy

Most Solid: Pink

Best Low-Mid: Magenta

Most Forward: Green

What you should get: Tan

Least Favorite: Emerald

What's better than all of them: N4

All subjective.

I suggest you demo based on what sounds the most interesting.

They are all great tools.

But I really think if someone is buying something it's nice to consider *why* they want a tool, so that the purchase is impactful. Saws are awesome, but they suck for driving nails.
Interesting ....:P but why N$ is better??
In which way?
Now seems to be that N4 only works with I7 processor and not Xeons on Mac?

Thanks for your reply!
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting ....:P but why N$ is better??
In which way?
Now seems to be that N$ only works with I7 processor and not Xeons on Mac?

Thanks for your reply!
I have not followed the compatibility, so I cannot speak on it.

N4 is a decidedly more involved tool. "Better" is a charged term, admittedly.

That said: I find N4 to have so many more applications.

(Almost) All of the features found in Aqua can be found in N4 sonically, but decided less convenient.

But the options for N4 are so numerous and varied, it is easily the most used plus I own by a wiiiiide margin.

HO Mics and PreAmps, TimP Tape are all as of yet unequaled and under represented in the Aqua catalogue.

Surge, MMEq, are examples of the Neb Libs that are resoundingly better sounding than their Aqua counter parts. (as of today...).

MFC is arguably better than Lime... (I use both depending on application)

The price point of the Compatible Libs (NOT counting the purchase of the N4 itself) are SHOCKINGLY cheap.

I have grown to enjoy the "per band" decision making that is forced by the workflow; where as I used to find it daunting.

Hopefully that answers your question directly.

And here's a thought (though its a bit hyperbolic): Aqua will change your sound quality in a meaningful way. N4 will change your entire work habits, approach, and possibly life... 8)

Be prepared: it will carry with it some headaches and will force you to approach things with planning where you may have been more improvisational. But if this is not off-putting, I encourage anyone to explore it.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut

Thank you!!!!
Old 22nd February 2017
If I could only have one, it'd probably be Lime, but get it and Sand first.
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Nut

Sand for me. My 1-st Acqua.
Was looking for the perfect bus compressor as a partner to Softube Console 1 for a long time. Tested Sand Fab 4 against every UAD bus compressor. And there were a clear winner: Sand.

Lime is great too, but do I really need 5 compressors?
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Nut

how is the Trial thing?? do you need to get an authorization file?
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
how is the Trial thing?? do you need to get an authorization file?
Yes, you do. Also they are different plug-ins therefore even Acustica doesn't recommend to use it in commercial projects. It means that they both co-exist in DAW. And after a purchase you have to replace all instances of trial versions with commercial versions.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I have not followed the compatibility, so I cannot speak on it.

N4 is a decidedly more involved tool. "Better" is a charged term, admittedly.

That said: I find N4 to have so many more applications.
1) Do you find the Acqua compressors are better than anything made for N3/4? Including the latest from Tim P?

2) Do you build an EQ with something like Nyrv? Or do you load up say 4 instances of Neb? Same result - just curious about workflow.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
1) Do you find the Acqua compressors are better than anything made for N3/4? Including the latest from Tim P?

2) Do you build an EQ with something like Nyrv? Or do you load up say 4 instances of Neb? Same result - just curious about workflow.

Thanks for your thoughts!
1) very tricky to answer. But I'd say they are equal... at least to this extent: I find the Acquas to behave more predictably especially when pushed. But there are some neb libs with truly killer tone. The DBX and Vari-level have both. These may be the two I would call "best". But Sand and Tan I use *most*... and there is no competition for their tasks that I have tried as a neb lib. (Slick9k may be great, but I have not used it.) But every Acqua comp from Pink on has been stellar. (Of note: I'd say the same of the recent Neb comps too: Morpheus is pretty awesome for instance.)

2) I do not use Nyrv. It's intriguing, but I have just used vanilla N4 since it came out. I like the idea of having the skins and all of them in one unit: but there is something refreshing about the intentionality of the N4 workflow. My basic workflow is this (obviously there is nothing set in stone):

-use gold and HO pres/mics as a "tracking" phase to "warm" them or "un-digitize" them as needed.
-mix with Sand on percs and lime on non-percussive tracks. (Increasingly this is simply cutting build up since Gold is so fat)
-use N4 libs as specialized tools for specific goals (hence one band of surge may be all that's needed.)
-feed a 2-bus of Sand-P1-Diamond-Airwindows Dither (vinyl dither has been most common choice)

Stop. Rest ears. Access.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
1) very tricky to answer. But I'd say they are equal... at least to this extent: I find the Acquas to behave more predictably especially when pushed. But there are some neb libs with truly killer tone. The DBX and Vari-level have both. These may be the two I would call "best". But Sand and Tan I use *most*... and there is no competition for their tasks that I have tried as a neb lib. (Slick9k may be great, but I have not used it.) But every Acqua comp from Pink on has been stellar. (Of note: I'd say the same of the recent Neb comps too: Morpheus is pretty awesome for instance.)

-use gold and HO pres/mics as a "tracking" phase to "warm" them or "un-digitize" them as needed.
-mix with Sand on percs and lime on non-percussive tracks. (Increasingly this is simply cutting build up since Gold is so fat)
-use N4 libs as specialized tools for specific goals (hence one band of surge may be all that's needed.)
-feed a 2-bus of Sand-P1-Diamond-Airwindows Dither (vinyl dither has been most common choice)

Stop. Rest ears. Access.
Great info. Thank you.
Old 19th May 2017
Gold for drums and bass
Amethyst for instruments
Sand/pink/lime for vocals (to taste)
Pink/sand for the mixbus (mixing)
Coral/diamond/scarlet (mastering)
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

I own ... Pink, Lime, Pearl, and Gold , I'm still finding all of there strengths, as they all have a place in the mix
Gold is the most coloured, amazing sound but can be very forward (in a good way)
Pink compressor for me is very fast great for taming stuff
Pearl is amazing on the master buss
Lime for me is the most versatile.. It has colour but is still transparent , the comp/pres seem to work on 90% of audio
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut

any updates about the best Acqua Plugins and Nebula libraries?
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Theirs no best. It’s what works in context for you
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't address 'best' ... but I can mention several that go into my Mastering work.

ACQUAs: AZURE-eQ-HQ, Ivory-eQ-4, TAUPE, Magenta-5, El Ray

N4: AlexB s432-eq, MFC, BRONZE-eq, Mantis

I also sometimes use CORAL-eQ [Bax], AMBER, IvoryCOMP-4

latest additions: PureTeq

THEN ... having a huge collection of N-4 Libraries and ACQUAS, there is a massive palette for 'colors' and dynamics.

my small collection of choice 'algo' plugins would include items such as: Fab-L2,
AIReQ, Crave-eq, along with a few AIRWindows.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search