The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Every plugin manufacturer should have their own "Console 1" Control Surfaces
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Nut
Every plugin manufacturer should have their own "Console 1"

I reallly like the concept behind Softube "Console 1"...when it came out i thought
to myself: "Wow every company should produce their own Console 1..."
Now with the Uad plugins added i am definitely buying one

But... why is it so hard to have a decent plugin controller, specially for eq and comp???
Equing and compressing its what it takes me the msot time during mixing...
I would loooove to be able to do that without looking at the computer screen...

I know the Icon and S6 both can do that...but i cannot imagine paying +10k for a goddamm surface controller...
Why they cost so much?
Is the coding/programmer so hard to do??? Does it take a lot of hours to create automap for eq and dynamics?

I use my Artist Control for faders, but as a plugin controller its not that practical...

Any thoughts about that?
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumumano View Post
I know the Icon and S6 both can do that...but i cannot imagine paying +10k for a goddamm surface controller...
<snip>

I use my Artist Control for faders, but as a plugin controller its not that practical...
Avid ProTools | Dock is meant for that. Though it still hasn't lived up to the original mockups for display feedback (and on both the S3 and the Dock, the knob value controls need to be fixed so it operates more intuitively -- linear or speed variable adjustment of the value should be options)
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Avid ProTools | Dock is meant for that. Though it still hasn't lived up to the original mockups for display feedback (and on both the S3 and the Dock, the knob value controls need to be fixed so it operates more intuitively -- linear or speed variable adjustment of the value should be options)
Yeah i saw the demos but...it still a screen device.
What i liked about Console 1 concept was that you could spend sometime equing and compressing whitout looking at the screen.
The fact that the hardware already has the proper mapping with names, just like in a real channel strip,it makes a lot of difference for me.
So what i was saying is that after seeing Console 1 for the first time i had a vision:
"What if of all the plugin i use could have a hw surface i could mix without looking at the screen?What if every manufacterer had their own Console 1???"
I know that different plugins have different parameters, but plugin companies could have at least one channel strip and include the most common parameters of all in fixed named knobs and some "free" knobs for mapping
Even fx plugins like reverb, delay, flanger...
They could have fixed functions named knobs, just like in Console 1, and built some knobs with little digital screen for "free naming"different functions...
It wouldnt need to be expensive or do daw control stuff also.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear
What's needed is for Novation to get its act together and release an Automap controller that doesn't feel like a playschool toy, with screens for all controls.
Automap is a fantastic controller protocol. The best I've used. Too bad novation isn't taking full advantage of it.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
What's needed is for Novation to get its act together and release an Automap controller that doesn't feel like a playschool toy, with screens for all controls.
Automap is a fantastic controller protocol. The best I've used. Too bad novation isn't taking full advantage of it.
Exactly we need screens...i cant be guessing all the time which parameter i am moving!
Need the name in a good size to be able to read the parameters
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Years ago I had the Focusrite LiquidMix. It was great (when it worked). It didn't have a pretty GUI, but it would have been a great platform t expand into something like this.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumumano View Post
Yeah i saw the demos but...it still a screen device.
??? As much as any other device. I think you are thinking of the Control app. There's a full Dock that mates with it which makes it a "junior" S6 control section. You can work completely without a monitor with it if you are comfortable with how real consoles work.

I wouldn't want every plugin maker to have their own hardware unit. Waste of real estate (and by having many hardware units, the ergonomics would be bad) and waste of money. A standard would be good and EuCon can transmit more info from DAWs than any other.

Go to about 3:20 in this video if you've never actually used one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkdYAZ2NgM

Not perfect (as I mentioned, knob tracking on it and the S3 aren't intuitive whereas the S6 knobs are good) and needs more third-party plugin deep integration but can do more than the Console 1 and has the ability to grow (like adding the EQ layout they mocked up from the System 5/Harrisons that still hasn't been implemented) and you can go crazy with personalizing the setup since the physical controls have more than one layer to modify.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search