The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From Mac/Logic to PC - DAW?
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Nut

Question From Mac/Logic to PC - DAW?

Hey everyone, I'm hoping I can get some experienced folks to give me some good leads/advice here on my current dilemma.

Previously I was running Logic Pro X on my late 2011 Macbook Pro. I really like Logic, and as Garage Band was my first forray into DAW's it was easy to quickly become proficient in what I needed to get done. The Macbook, however, is showing its age. The trackpad doesn't click on one corner and one of the USB ports is dead. For my uses, the dual-core processor just doesn't have the number-crunching ability to bounce long files.

I use Logic mainly for tweaking/mastering voiceover (VO). I don't record into Logic, as I use TwistedWave or ocenaudio on a Macbook Air (silent) in the actual vocal studio. I was using both of those also for editing, and I probably will continue using ocenaudio since it's available on PC.

So, I went with a PC laptop. Fairly high spec'ed -- i7 7820HK, dual SSD drives, 16gb DDR4 @ 2667Ghz. It's Geekbench scores are higher than the highest end MBP from Apple currently.

I need some kind of Logic replacement. I want to be able to say I'm a "professional home studio" that can be competitive to some degree with small-time local studios for voiceover/marketing/audiobook stuff. I see so many options on DAWs -- but are these really used by any heavy-hitters in the industry? Does anyone really produce national commercials with Ableton or Studio One?

I looked at ProTools -- but what a complete mess of a purchasing setup they have. I hate the idea of paying monthly for something, and $600 seems incredibly steep for what I'm currently doing. With Logic at least I had something that I knew you might find in the biggest studios.

I really have no idea what DAWs would fit into both "professional grade" and also good for someone moving from Logic's workflow. I also have some plugins from Waves I'd like to still use as well, so something that can allow me to use 3rd party .VST's would be ideal.

Anyone move from Apple/Logic to PC? If so, what did you end up working with? Is it worth just accepting $600 for PT is probably the safest, easiest way to get a professional level DAW?
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Cubase may be your huckleberry
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaliDave View Post
Hey everyone, I'm hoping I can get some experienced folks to give me some good leads/advice here on my current dilemma.

Previously I was running Logic Pro X on my late 2011 Macbook Pro. I really like Logic, and as Garage Band was my first forray into DAW's it was easy to quickly become proficient in what I needed to get done. The Macbook, however, is showing its age. The trackpad doesn't click on one corner and one of the USB ports is dead. For my uses, the dual-core processor just doesn't have the number-crunching ability to bounce long files.

I use Logic mainly for tweaking/mastering voiceover (VO). I don't record into Logic, as I use TwistedWave or ocenaudio on a Macbook Air (silent) in the actual vocal studio. I was using both of those also for editing, and I probably will continue using ocenaudio since it's available on PC.

So, I went with a PC laptop. Fairly high spec'ed -- i7 7820HK, dual SSD drives, 16gb DDR4 @ 2667Ghz. It's Geekbench scores are higher than the highest end MBP from Apple currently.

I need some kind of Logic replacement. I want to be able to say I'm a "professional home studio" that can be competitive to some degree with small-time local studios for voiceover/marketing/audiobook stuff. I see so many options on DAWs -- but are these really used by any heavy-hitters in the industry? Does anyone really produce national commercials with Ableton or Studio One?

I looked at ProTools -- but what a complete mess of a purchasing setup they have. I hate the idea of paying monthly for something, and $600 seems incredibly steep for what I'm currently doing. With Logic at least I had something that I knew you might find in the biggest studios.

I really have no idea what DAWs would fit into both "professional grade" and also good for someone moving from Logic's workflow. I also have some plugins from Waves I'd like to still use as well, so something that can allow me to use 3rd party .VST's would be ideal.

Anyone move from Apple/Logic to PC? If so, what did you end up working with? Is it worth just accepting $600 for PT is probably the safest, easiest way to get a professional level DAW?
Cubase can be around the same price as Pro Tools .. unless you buy the very minimal Elements version .. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseE9

Reaper might be your ticket .. 60.00 REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Studio One as well .. https://shop.presonus.com/products/s...ital-Downloads
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Head

For your stated requirements I would suggest either studio one or reaper. Cubase if you want bundled instruments although it is older and more bloated than the formers if you don't need the VIs (and it requires a dongle)

You can trial any of them. I went from Logic to Studio One a few years ago oh and it also seems to be the go to for switching pro tools users now
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Maniac

With Studio One for voice overs maybe you'll just need Studio One Artist if you don't want all the free plugins that come with Professional. With the money you save you can buy third party plugins and probably still come out ahead.

Reaper is only $60 unless you gross over $20,000 a year. Then it's $225.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
With Studio One for voice overs maybe you'll just need Studio One Artist if you don't want all the free plugins that come with Professional. With the money you save you can buy third party plugins and probably still come out ahead.

Reaper is only $60 unless you gross over $20,000 a year. Then it's $225.
FYI: Studio ONe Artist does not allow 3rd party plugins .. i have it ...
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Head

how can they know you gross over 20.000 per year.

cheers,.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennet View Post
how can they know you gross over 20.000 per year.

cheers,.
direct IRS connectivity !!! just kidding !!!
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Head

indeed in all honesty. I believe. but then again believing is not security.

cheers.
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Head

I switch between Logic and Reaper all the time. As far as I'm concerned. It will be Reaper on the end of the year probably.
It's much more efficient then logic when you want to run 3rd party Instruments.
and with all the New Age Plugins with oversampling etc,. it's almost a necessary DAW.
You can talk hours about the Pro's of this and Con's of that. you just have to use some discipline. Man is not stupid.

cheers.
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks guys -- I also do a bit of music stuff as a hobby, so Logic worked well with my MIDI control surfaces (keyboards, drum machines). I suppose many of those DAWs would all do in a pinch

I so have to master things, so from time to time I'm having to get vocals to sit in a mix with music and sound effects -- so I do need 3rd party plugin support and possibly a decent sampler.

I was doing the math with a friend ... and if you buy a perpetual PT for $599, and then pay $99/yr for "updates", you'll pay over $1400 in 9 years. That's insane for someone with a small studio like me.

It's even worse if you pay monthly! In 9 years of monthly payments to Avid, that's almost 5 grand. I don't care if I can write it off as a business expense or not -- that just seems insanely excessive for me.

I can totally understand if you work at Captiol Records Studios or something, or some big studio where Grammy awards are won. ProTools is just another expense that's a drop in the bucket.

What's even stranger is that those big, high-end studios are running ProToolsHD setups, not regular ProTools software. Why can't regular ProTools be like $300-400 for a simple perpetual and updates for the life of that version number? If/when ProTools 13 comes out, sure...make me pay for an upgrade and new license. BUT I guess that means Avid would have to actually innovate and create/program new features worthy of a new numbered release...
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennet View Post
I switch between Logic and Reaper all the time. As far as I'm concerned. It will be Reaper on the end of the year probably.
It's much more efficient then logic when you want to run 3rd party Instruments.
and with all the New Age Plugins with oversampling etc,. it's almost a necessary DAW.
You can talk hours about the Pro's of this and Con's of that. you just have to use some discipline. Man is not stupid.

cheers.
i have found that the learning curve in Reaper is tough .. Quantize is not as straight forward as say Cubase or Logic .. and a few other things i find i really need to search the web to find out what the Nomenclature is .. maybe Too Many options !!! but very very stable and CPU efficient !! where pro tools takes 16% for something Reaper is 2% .. really nice !!!
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
FYI: Studio ONe Artist does not allow 3rd party plugins .. i have it ...
That’s right! Maybe it would still work for voice overs.

I was probably thinking of Cubase Artist.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

hi Phil, i am not sure about Cubase Artist using 3rd party either .. i use Cubase Pro 8 ..
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:

It might for some people, but I run a full production studio. There are times when I don't need to provide anything beyond a raw WAV file (with out takes edited out).

Other times I need to do the full deal with compression, de-essing, mixing to a music bed, EQ'ing -- and have the loudness set at industry standards.

I have a few favorite plugins I use from Waves and other companies. Plugin support for me is a deal breaker.

I also sometimes allow friends to use my vocal chain to record for songs they're working on, as studio time is expensive and they're not likely to get a better sounding vocal chain without shelling out big bucks. It's a way for me to practice using the software and training my ear, and something I enjoy doing for good friends.

I mean, if all you do is talk into a TLM-67, you never get to really hear the vintage-y sound it's capable of. That requires hitting it with some pipes! It's like driving a real surplus Hummer because you need a 4WD vehicle for horrible winter weather, but never taking it off road.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Using a Daw that can't use 3rd party plugins is absurd when Reaper costs $50 - come on people!
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It might for some people, but I run a full production studio. There are times when I don't need to provide anything beyond a raw WAV file (with out takes edited out).

Other times I need to do the full deal with compression, de-essing, mixing to a music bed, EQ'ing -- and have the loudness set at industry standards.

I have a few favorite plugins I use from Waves and other companies. Plugin support for me is a deal breaker.

I also sometimes allow friends to use my vocal chain to record for songs they're working on, as studio time is expensive and they're not likely to get a better sounding vocal chain without shelling out big bucks. It's a way for me to practice using the software and training my ear, and something I enjoy doing for good friends.

I mean, if all you do is talk into a TLM-67, you never get to really hear the vintage-y sound it's capable of. That requires hitting it with some pipes! It’s like driving a real surplus Hummer because you need a 4WD vehicle for horrible winter weather, but never taking it off road.
Cubase Artist use to allow third party plugins but maybe that’s changed. I would never buy a DAW that didn’t. Not even if it was a free timed demo.

You might check out Metro 7 LX($100) from Sagan Technology. It’s my old DAW that I still use for some audio work because Logic audio editing sucks. There are free demos. No problem with using your own plugins.
Old 17th February 2017
Here for the gear

I use Logic also and the closest I could find like it was Studio One 3. I tried them all and only studio one 3 workflow is close to what logic offers.
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Nut
sonar
SONAR is the perfect choice (Sonar or Cubase) for a switch from Apple/ logic
Reaper is a great daw but for audio as you won't have any virtual instrument, loop... on reaper

Sonar or Cubase> Logic
Windows > Mac os

Last edited by IPascal; 18th February 2017 at 11:41 AM..
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

apart from some advanced music to picture issues, Reaper would be a great program to use for 99% of most jobs.

MC
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Head

i suggest Reaper if you work a lot with plugins
lovely program
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzicZone View Post
i suggest Reaper if you work a lot with plugins
lovely program
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm working with the Reaper demo and so far it seems stable and resource efficient. I'm not really digging how it looks (god it's ugly!) -- and I'm not really able to figure out how to do everything I was doing before, but I'm 70% of the way there.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm working with the Reaper demo and so far it seems stable and resource efficient. I'm not really digging how it looks (god it's ugly!) -- and I'm not really able to figure out how to do everything I was doing before, but I'm 70% of the way there.
i suggest these free themes

REAPER | Resources
or
REAPER | Resources
or
REAPER | Resources
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search